The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist
 
ObiWanFan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,724
Does anyone else still feel like Season 1 is the best?

While I still enjoy the Nick TMNT show, I feel like the show has become hit and miss. The first season in my opinion wasn't perfect, but had the best writing, the most focused storyline, and the most consistent quality. Am I alone on this?
__________________
"The force will be with you, always"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,177
It's a cold hard fact. The loss of Sternin and Ventimilia really hurt the show.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist
 
ObiWanFan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's a cold hard fact. The loss of Sternin and Ventimilia really hurt the show.
I didn't even know they left. And what about Nieli?
__________________
"The force will be with you, always"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
You're not alone. S1 had better writers and story editors.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
cookie jar
Hench Mutant
 
cookie jar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 264
You're not alone. I think the same.
cookie jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist
 
ObiWanFan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,724
Like I said, I still enjoy the show and I'm excited for Season 5.
__________________
"The force will be with you, always"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
No I feel Season 2 is the best.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist
 
ObiWanFan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
No I feel Season 2 is the best.
I liked Season 2, but what about it do you like more than Season 1?
__________________
"The force will be with you, always"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
I liked Season 2, but what about it do you like more than Season 1?
I didn't watch season 1 until a few weeks before season 2 started but before that I looked at the episode spoilers so I knew what happened before I watched each episode. Season 2 felt more darker than Season 1 and also there were a lot of episodes in Season 2 I loved more than Season 1.

The Invasion
Into Dimension X
The Wrath of Tiger Claw
The Manhattan Project
Vengeance is Mine
Of Rats and Men
Metalhead Rewired
Slash and Destroy
Target April O' Neil
Invasion of the Squirrelnoids
Fungus Humungous
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Papenbrook
I'm leaving. Goodbye. :)
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
While I still enjoy the Nick TMNT show, I feel like the show has become hit and miss. The first season in my opinion wasn't perfect, but had the best writing, the most focused storyline, and the most consistent quality. Am I alone on this?
No. I think season one was the best too.

Season four sucks.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,177
Season two was tons of fun too, but the humor started slipping and The Kraang started to get REALLY old.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Season 1 was the most solid.
There's good stuff in all of them, but overall Season 1 is the most consistent.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist
 
ObiWanFan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Season 1 was the most solid.
There's good stuff in all of them, but overall Season 1 is the most consistent.
I think that's the best way to describe it. We're not even halfway through with Season 4, and I already want Season 5 if only for Mark Hamill.
__________________
"The force will be with you, always"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,763
I'd probably wager season 2 as well for being the best. Yeah, it had some crappy episodes like Plan 10, and massive filler but it had more moments that stood out in my mind more. Karai's mutation, the debut of Slash, Mutagen Man's struggle and more.

However, season 1 though it doesn't stand out in my mind as much is the most consistent of the show. Everything was tightly connected, a balance of actually good humor and action, and the characters didn't overstay their welcomes. Only problem is like I said the lack of iconic moments (also, Don's crush really pushed itself); I, Monster The Gauntlet and Leatherhead's debut were spectacular. The show dipped in quality for sure though after season 1; though season 2 has episodes I prefer more, season 1 is without a doubt the best of all worlds.
__________________
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,776
Season 1 only feels the best because everything was "new." It was the first time seeing the Nick personalities of the Turtles and their dynamic, the first time seeing how the show works, the new Splinter, Shredder, etc.

Season 1 had its lackluster episodes. Spiderbitez ep was a bore, and so was the Cockroach Terminator episode. Timmy's first ep before he became Mutagen Man was also dull. Also the one with the go-karts and the water balloons against Dogpound?

Its a good season, sure, but you guys only think its much better because everything was new and fresh.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #16
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
Oh, is that why some of us like S1 more? Thanks for letting us know why we like the things we do. Must be pretty cool to know exactly why people have their opinions.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,776
Its just fairly obvious. When you're introduced to a show and its characters for the first time, of course everything is going to feel new and fresh. A lot of the Season 1 episodes were typical mutant of the week or Kraang episodes that if they came in any later season people would have just saw them as run of the mill episodes. But since they came first it was a bigger deal.

You really think Spiderbitez, Cockroach, Timmy, Parasitic Wasps, etc. weren't all typical character of the week episodes like they had in Seasons 2-3?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #18
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,763
This is why people need to read arguments and reasons instead of generalizing.

Quote:
Its just fairly obvious. When you're introduced to a show and its characters for the first time, of course everything is going to feel new and fresh.
Incorrect, the reason people look back at this season is because of consistency. Besides the fillers and the Pulverizer episodes, the majority of the season was primarily good to excellent. Like I said earlier, balance of interactions, comedy and action between characters we don't see often. Even if something doesn't stand out, it's writing was superior overall, though seasons 2 and 3 had some shining examples. Overall though, the quality was better in season 1; it wasn't because of freshness, it's because the writers told a strong narrative which disintegrated later on.

Quote:
A lot of the Season 1 episodes were typical mutant of the week or Kraang episodes that if they came in any later season people would have just saw them as run of the mill episodes. But since they came first it was a bigger deal.
Look through the list again Cube, that's false.
  • Rise of the Turtles- Kraang and Snake
  • Turtle Temper- minor on Kraang, primarily Spider Bytez
  • New Friend Old Enemy- Bradford
  • I Think His Name is Baxter Stockman- (obvious on who)
  • Metalhead- Kraang
  • Monkey Brains- Rockwell (misinformed) and Falco (prior to his change)
  • Never Say Xever- (obvious once more)
  • The Gauntlet- a little bit of everything: Kraang, the henchmen, and Shredder
  • Panic in the Sewers- Bradford/Dogpound
  • Mousers Attack!- The Purple Dragons, Baxter, and Dogpound
  • It Came From the Depths- Leatherhead (originally misinformed) and Kraang
  • I, Monster- Falco/Rat King
  • New Girl in Town- Karai's debut and Snakeweed
  • The Alien Agenda- a mixture of Kraang and Foot
  • The Pulverizer- more focused on Tim, some on Kraang for plot and Foot
  • TCRI- Kraang
  • Cockroach Terminator- The filler mutant itself, Kraang as a cameo
  • Baxter's Gambit- Baxter once more
  • Enemy of My Enemy- Kraang and Shredder
  • Karai's Vendetta- On April's side, Karai; Turtles' perspective- Kraang though Karai dominated the episode
  • The Pulverizer Returns!- The Foot
  • Parasitica- The wasps
  • Operation: Break Out- Newtrailizer and Kraang
  • Showdown- Everything once again

There was more variety in the episodes between the major villains and mutants. After Turtle Temper there was no new mutants not withstanding Rockwell in Monkey Brains until we reached The Gauntlet where Bradford and Xever finally mutated into Dogpound and Fishface respectively. Then, more established veterans in TMNT enter after Mousers Attack1 with Leatherhead, Rat King as Falco, and Karai in that order of release. There were no new mutants after that until Cockroach Terminator and the final three episodes between Enemy of My Enemy and Showdown, though Newtrailizer is an alien so he doesn't count.

There was more variety; sure, the Kraang and Foot Clan dominated but they also took time to sprinkle in the mutants and not shoehorn as many as possible. It's a problem that happened in Northampton during season 3, forcing in way too much to sell action figures instead of giving them a plot. With the exception of the wasps and roach, every mutant had some sort of meaning or relevance.

Quote:
You really think Spiderbitez, Cockroach, Timmy, Parasitic Wasps, etc. weren't all typical character of the week episodes like they had in Seasons 2-3?
Ironically, the ones you mentioned outside Tim prior to his change are the mutants of the week you mentioned. That's three of the 26 episodes outside of establishing the series' identity. Tim is the only one who was an actual character as was Rockwell later on and Falco as the Rat King.

I do not get what you're trying to achieve Cubed.
__________________
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #19
Hero
British Bloke
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 2,298
I'll weigh up the best season whenever the show sadly finishes up.

I will say that Season 1 as it stands for me right now has a lot of rewatch value.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #20
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
I agree, it's the only season with really good jokes that are consistent.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tmnt 2012


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.