The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
garsh
Foot Soldier
 
garsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 155
April O'Neil

How come nobody's talking about her?
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Zzzzzz... Call me when people want to talk about Leo.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
garsh
Foot Soldier
 
garsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 155
Actually, I'd love to. I've been a lifelong Leo fan. At first it was because he wore blue and had swords. Being the leader is also an instant draw. That combo can be impossible to top for many pre-teen boys.

When it came to the first action figures, I had a really hard time deciding which I would buy first between Leo and Don, and I think it all came down to their faces. Leo had sad looking eyes, while Don had a cool stare, and a symmetrical grimace. I am woefully slavish to symmetry in animal life. It literally bothers me that crabs have one big claw.

But anyway!

Once Nick turts came along, I really warmed up to the other turtles for the first time. I came to appreciate them in ways I never considered before. I felt like the time had come to soul search, and re-evaluate whether Leo was still my favorite or not. I put a lot more consideration into it than was probably sensible for an adult. As I envisioned myself individually backing each one of the turtles as my favorite, I eventually came to realize it was precisely because he was free of any simplistic archetype categories that made him valuable to me. Essentially, I could hang out with any of the personalities embodied by the turtles, but if I were able to actually choose one for myself to be, I wouldn't pick any of the other three.

It always got under my skin a little when fans of other turtles would slander Leo as the "boring" one, but I could never deny I understood why. It really is dull to be the responsible one. But then it seemed like there was a public perception that Leo was less interesting because he doesn't have a standout character trait like the others.

He's not the party dude, not the angsty tough guy, and not the science nerd. Based on that he gets dismissed. If you think about it even a tiny bit, that's actually a pitifully dimwitted opinion. The other turtles can fall into the trap of becoming one-trick-ponies. Thoughtfully written characters have more than one big character trait to just fit them into a handy box with a label.

In Leo's case, yes, he's "the leader", assuming you know better than Partners in Kryme. But unlike the other turtles, there's more to him. He's the spiritualist and the moral compass. Those are actually way more important than any leadership he's ever been credited with. Honestly I find the leadership gimmick to be the least interesting thing about him now. Until I saw how things turned out, I was most anticipating the potential to do more with him in Rise by taking that leadership away. I LOVED the idea of a non-leader Leo! (in theory)

So now I have a newfound appreciation for Leo, and favor him in bigger, stronger terms than I ever did in the past. I'm glad to say he was my favorite from the start, but he's even more my favorite now.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,847
Wasn't there just another April thread where the weirdos came out of the woodwork and started talking "safewords" or something like that? Why do we need this thread?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 2,393
I thought it was a joke, given a few April threads have been active recently.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
I'm surprised and saddened there are 3 or 4 active April threads.

Where are the Venus de Milo threads!?

Where are the Zach the Annoying Kid Who Thinks He's the Fifth Turtle threads!?
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm surprised and saddened there are 3 or 4 active April threads.

Where are the Venus de Milo threads!?

Where are the Zach the Annoying Kid Who Thinks He's the Fifth Turtle threads!?
I believe that you should start such a thread... a Zach thread would be magnificent. I could come up with at least one post about Zach.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I believe that you should start such a thread... a Zach thread would be magnificent. I could come up with at least one post about Zach.
I can't swallow my irrational hatred long enough to even pose the question.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Wasn't there just another April thread where the weirdos came out of the woodwork and started talking "safewords" or something like that? Why do we need this thread?
Pssssssssst. 'EY.

.........I haven't been IN the woodwork. SO HUH.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Yeah, likewise assumed it was a joke. One thread at a time that devolves into being about her boobs or whatever else along those lines is enough. (There are not enough women around here these days to make with the counter gag inducing talk about the Turtles... lol)

But that was a really nice read about Leo, Garsh, well said.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #11
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Yeah but as far as post quality you're about equal to any two or even three of those other ones, so by all means feel free to pick up the slack.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
garsh
Foot Soldier
 
garsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 155
I guess you could call it a joke. It might be more accurate to say it was an act of sarcastic passive aggression. It was because there were already three active April O'Neil topics.

Make April O'Neil white again
Black April
April's ethnicity moving forward

And then within a day or two of each other:

I'm bored, let's talk about April O'Neil
April and the Turtles

What is this weird obsession with April? She's barely even a character.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, likewise assumed it was a joke. One thread at a time that devolves into being about her boobs or whatever else along those lines is enough. (There are not enough women around here these days to make with the counter gag inducing talk about the Turtles... lol)

But that was a really nice read about Leo, Garsh, well said.
Thanks very much!
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,847
SOOoooo much passive aggression that now we have it even about April O'Neil.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Btw, the dumbest version of April has to be 2014.

What kind of lousy wannabe journalist are you that it totally escapes you that when you're trying to sneak and take a photo after dark your camera flash is going to give you away and standing there well lit yourself is not to your advantage.





AND who the heck would utterly fail to assess this situation?

Sure, get totally distracted by the three figures celebrating and completely miss the massive "don't f*** with us" red flags in the body language of the guy standing apart from the rest. He's clearly very tense, guarded, big swords in hand, but sure, lets interfere, why not!

I mean, granted, after playing guard dog to his bothers, instead of going after her, Leo's reaction was to immediately climb a water tower instead , but she couldn't have predicted that. (He's mostly facing her, so he probably should have seen her pop up from behind the ledge and react immediately. But no, that makes too much sense.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #15
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Those movies made every single person who watched them dumber. By a lot.

And people who watched them willingly were most likely not all that bright in the first place, so that's pretty f*cking scary.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Btw, the dumbest version of April has to be 2014.
What's worse is she's not only been rendered a complete bimbo, but a bimbo who defeated both Shredder & Karai. Unforgivable.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Megan Fox was ALREADY outdated used goods by 2014, and even back then she aged terribly.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,190
lies lies, Megan Fox April is the best live action April, suck it Judith Hoag

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
It's weird how that's not even remotely attractive to me. She just comes across as "try hard"
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's weird how that's not even remotely attractive to me. She just comes across as "try hard"
I swear to God, every time you post, I understand you less.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.