The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
tmntman
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,444
Where to find the Whatnot covers for TMNT/PR II

I've been trying to keep up with all of the covers for the various TMNT comics. But I've run into an issue with the TMNT/PR II series. I have seen that each issue is supposed to have two covers exclusive to Whatnot.com. But I have no idea which seller or where on the site to find them. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
__________________


Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:06 AM   #2
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
These have definitely been very confusing and tough to figure out. Here's some info for you.

The first of three on-sales will be Wed., June 7 on Whatnot - seller is Stashhloot (who is apparently the official Whatnot events coordinator). Here's the link to the June 7 sale. No pricing has been provided but, using past "Whatnot-only" TMNT variant sales as a gauge, I'd be willing to bet they'll be pricey (probably at least $35-50 each).

Here's where things get a bit muddy. According to the seller, there are only 5 total MMPR/TMNT II "Whatnot" covers (one cover per issue) even though the interior of each MMPR/TMNT II issue lists "covers" (plural) by Doaly. For the duration of the MMPR/TMNT II series, any time the interior cover listing stated there were "covers" by an artist for any retailer, there turned out to be at least 2 variants (and sometimes 3). I have a feeling that Whatnot made more than one variant per issue and is trying to keep that a secret. I'm of the opinion that they actually made at least 2 variants per issue and will be selling the other covers (the ones not on Whatnot) at their Con booths this summer (which, they've done in the past as well). I have no proof of this other than just an educated guess so take that for what it's worth.

__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
tmntman
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,444
Thanks. I have been watching that seller, but didn't see any sign of the TMNT/PR covers. It's odd to wait until the entire run is long past to release any of them. But then again, Whatnot's entire business model seems to run contrary to what I would consider to be a good idea. So I guess this is perfectly on brand for them.

Now I guess I'll just have to see if I get lucky and find a copy of the Mac Auctions #2 since the print run was lost.
__________________


Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 12:33 PM   #4
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
Thanks. I have been watching that seller, but didn't see any sign of the TMNT/PR covers. It's odd to wait until the entire run is long past to release any of them. But then again, Whatnot's entire business model seems to run contrary to what I would consider to be a good idea. So I guess this is perfectly on brand for them.

Now I guess I'll just have to see if I get lucky and find a copy of the Mac Auctions #2 since the print run was lost.
I'm not a fan of Whatnot and have pretty much only purchased a couple items that way. As you've experienced, it's impossible to find anything on the site. Plus, knowing which live stream to watch in order to get a variant can be maddening. Even if you happen to actually find something, the prices these variants go for on Whatnot are just insane. I'm pretty confident that Whatnot is just full of shill bidders partnering with these shops in order to artificially inflate both demand and prices. Who in their right mind pays $50 for something that's on eBay for less than half that? I avoid Whatnot completely now for purchases.

As for that LR LY #2 variant where the whole print run was lost, pretty much only comp copies exist and Tom Waltz sold through his allotment for $500 each. Gonna be a really tough one to get. Wish you luck though - it will turn up here and there I'm sure. Obviously, the books have to exist somewhere (unless they were somehow destroyed completely during transit) so I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge influx of those just magically appear some day.
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:40 PM   #5
tmntman
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,444
Thanks for the pointer. Once they stopped rescheduling and actually had an auction, I was able to pick up all six books in three lots. It looks like there are two versions of the Leonardo cover (virgin and foil variant) So that likely accounts for the listing of two covers for each issue. (They just stopped with the foil variant after one issue.)
__________________


Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.