The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Do you read the letters sections of old comics?

Assuming you still have single issues of older comics, do you go back and re-read the letters section after finishing the comic? The funny thing about letters is it's basically the same stuff you'd see on an online forum only back then it wasn't that common and you got the writer/editor to respond to it sometimes.

In Vol. 4 of TMNT for example half the letters sections of Vol 4/Tales was bogged down with political debates about George Bush and the Iraq war which were big topics at the time. It's like going back in time to a piece of history from the early 2000's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior
 
Zog The Magnificent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 830
I always read the letters column. It's one of the reasons I like tracking down single issues so much, as opposed to trades. It's the entire reason I'm buying The Walking Dead Deluxe.

The only flaw is that I never get to find out what people think about the final issue of a comic, since the letters are always behind by 3 or 4 issues. The only time I ever got to was with letters for Vigilante #50, which were printed in Checkmate #1.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,847
I used to read them all the time. It's a big part of comic book culture that I miss. I had a letter printed in Superman once. It was cool.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:12 PM   #4
Wednesday's Serial
Foot Soldier
 
Wednesday's Serial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 110
I'll read some sporadically. I've had a few printed before too, which is cool!
Wednesday's Serial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
I had one printed in most of Vol. 3 and 1 or 2 printed in Vol. 4. It's interesting to read the old letters from Vol. 1 and wonder, what happened to these people? Are they still fans? If not, what happened?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:57 PM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
I seem to remember one of my emails printed in one of the early IDW comics, I forgot which one though, it's been so long.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:36 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's interesting to read the old letters from Vol. 1 and wonder, what happened to these people? Are they still fans? If not, what happened?
They're probably dead. Assuming they were at least 17 or 18 years old in 1984 to be old enough to read comics and send in a letter...they'd be what in their late 60's now? Half of them are on their way to the old age home and the others are probably dead by now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:22 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They're probably dead. Assuming they were at least 17 or 18 years old in 1984 to be old enough to read comics and send in a letter...they'd be what in their late 60's now? Half of them are on their way to the old age home and the others are probably dead by now.
WTF. Not true. I was sending letters to Archie comics since I was 12 or so. Parents can take their kids to the mail box ya know.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:51 PM   #9
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They're probably dead. Assuming they were at least 17 or 18 years old in 1984 to be old enough to read comics and send in a letter...they'd be what in their late 60's now? Half of them are on their way to the old age home and the others are probably dead by now.
Plenty of the people who had letters published in volume 1 could have been our age. Sure, I was 5 in 1984 when #1 was released, but vol. 1 lasted until 1993.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:22 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
No 5 year old was reading Mirage Turtles Vol. 1 back in 1984, remember this was an indie black and white comic, no kid is going to have any idea what it was at the time.

Archie is a different story because us kids were exposed through the cartoon and saw a comic that looked like the cartoon on newstands and in shopping malls.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
I'd see Mirage TPBs (the ones with the nice A.C. Farley covers) in bookstores in the 80s.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:20 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Considering Laird is 69 I imagine most first time Mirage readers are close to his age, probably 65-70. Like I said, some probably died and others are too busy dealing with their medical issues.

You really think a 60+ year old is going to be thinking about Ninja Turtles from the 1980's?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:51 PM   #13
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
No 5 year old was reading Mirage Turtles Vol. 1 back in 1984, remember this was an indie black and white comic, no kid is going to have any idea what it was at the time.

Archie is a different story because us kids were exposed through the cartoon and saw a comic that looked like the cartoon on newstands and in shopping malls.
I guess I started reading Mirage earlier than most at age 10 in 1988. The local flea market comic book dealer sold them, and I found the First Graphic Novels at Waldenbooks. I'm just saying it was possible to have a letter published in volume 1 before 1993, but not issue 1 in 1984.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:32 PM   #14
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior
 
joe-eyeball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I had one printed in most of Vol. 3 and 1 or 2 printed in Vol. 4. It's interesting to read the old letters from Vol. 1 and wonder, what happened to these people? Are they still fans? If not, what happened?
Didn’t one of your letters have a drawing of one of the turtles? And with a colored mask to boot?
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:48 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-eyeball View Post
Didn’t one of your letters have a drawing of one of the turtles? And with a colored mask to boot?
Definitely not. I think I drew a Turtle carrying a severed head that appeared in Image but it wasn't a rainbow Turtle. It's possible such a thing exists in TMNTA. I wrote them at least a couple letters as a kid but I don't remember them actually printing any.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:27 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
I remember a dumb thing is most letters pages were only like 2-3 pages long, so they would only print maybe...5 letters at most (because space was taken up by the editor responding to some of them)

Imagine the comic gets what maybe 100 letters a month, and only 5 are printed. Like what's the point. It's weird to think this was a thing before online forums were created
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #17
Mechapod
Random Punk
 
Mechapod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 35
The letters pages, editorial page, and old ads are a part of why I collect single issues. It's a cool glimpse into history, and even cooler when you come across a letter from a name you recognize from today.

I never wrote in, but as a kid I was reading TMNT. Didn't have a comic shop in my town so the only TMNT I was able to read were the First! graphic novels and TMNTA from the grocery store and gas stations. I'm 46 now.

I've since collected the single issues of vol. 1-4 and as I re-read these, I love to read the letters and editorial notes.
Mechapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:40 AM   #18
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior
 
joe-eyeball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Definitely not. I think I drew a Turtle carrying a severed head that appeared in Image but it wasn't a rainbow Turtle. It's possible such a thing exists in TMNTA. I wrote them at least a couple letters as a kid but I don't remember them actually printing any.
I’m gonna have to see if I can find it because I swear the person had the same name. And you do live in Washington? Right? Of course it could be just a coincidence or a false memory on my part.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:11 PM   #19
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 2,238
As a kid I used to read every inch of every page in the few comics I had, of course! Sometimes more than once.
I still do it whenever I manage to buy an old issue (as I rarely buy new comics) but more than those fan letters what I really care about are the original editorial notes. That's the reason I'm always more inclined to buy first printings and not recent reprintings or collected issues.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:11 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
As a kid I used to read every inch of every page in the few comics I had, of course! Sometimes more than once.
I still do it whenever I manage to buy an old issue (as I rarely buy new comics) but more than those fan letters what I really care about are the original editorial notes. That's the reason I'm always more inclined to buy first printings and not recent reprintings or collected issues.
I miss those days. I still love comics, but for me it's more about the markets and movement nowadays. Rarely do I get a book I can't wait to dig into and most of the time my own pull list languishes for months, and many almost permanently unread at this point.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.