The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #1
MikesPizzaShack
Hench Mutant
 
MikesPizzaShack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 466
Question about the nunchuck issue?

i was pretty young when i first saw TMNT, so i dont remember alot of the earlier episodes as well. i keep seing ppl talk about the nunchuck issue on the original show...so what is this about? sorry if its a stupid Q but its just bothing me that i dont know.
__________________
Hey Check out my Site WWW.TheFanriot.com and our podcast The FanRiot on iTunes!!!!
"Welcome to Mikes Pizza Shack! You order the pizza and I eat it."
MikesPizzaShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
I think parents, particularly mothers, were bitching about it being to violent and such or something. So they ended up replacing the 'chucks with a grappling hook.

Well, atleast that's what I've gathered through looking in past threads. Maybe someone else could clear this up a bit?
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
MikesPizzaShack
Hench Mutant
 
MikesPizzaShack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 466
well what episodes did this happen in?
__________________
Hey Check out my Site WWW.TheFanriot.com and our podcast The FanRiot on iTunes!!!!
"Welcome to Mikes Pizza Shack! You order the pizza and I eat it."
MikesPizzaShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 AM   #4
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
.. Every episode with Nunchucks in them I guess.
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:24 AM   #5
Taloniss
Mad Scientist
 
Taloniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
I think parents, particularly mothers, were bitching about it being to violent and such or something. So they ended up replacing the 'chucks with a grappling hook.
That's pretty much right.
Taloniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
spikealike
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 186
In the UK they went as far as to cut all nunchuck scenes from the movie, and edit the cartoon so you didn't see them much.
spikealike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:52 AM   #7
PizzaPower
Foot Elite
 
PizzaPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pizza Parlor
Posts: 3,200
why them damn UK people doing to the TMNT!
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #8
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
that's kinda sick. I mean, a sword is waay more violent than chucks. why did they only go for the chucks?

Or imagine: a laser gun...

I hate parental control. Lucky me i don't have to care anymore...
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #9
Gremlin
Foot Soldier
 
Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarky
that's kinda sick. I mean, a sword is waay more violent than chucks. why did they only go for the chucks?

Or imagine: a laser gun...

I hate parental control. Lucky me i don't have to care anymore...
I think mikey actually used his chucks against enemies and leo didn't (since it would be killing and that would really get the parents screaming )

as for lasers, that (or anything that shot a colorful ray instead of bullets) was what they had to use in old cartoons since it wasn't a real weapon that kids could get their hands on and do evil stuff with. just think about it, old tmnt, x-men, thundercats, he-man and almost every other old cartoon used "ray weapons" just to keep screaming parents quiet
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:30 AM   #10
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
but leo cut more than one foot soldier in half...

are there any parental issues with the new show btw.?
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:45 AM   #11
Gremlin
Foot Soldier
 
Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarky
but leo cut more than one foot soldier in half...

are there any parental issues with the new show btw.?
If I remember right, the only time that the tmnt actually destroyed the foot foldiers were in the first season, I guess the parenal control took care of any future "killing" of those robots,

The only thing I've heard about the new toon is that some parents are bitching about Casey Jones and his lifstyle, but that was mostly the figure they were yelling about
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #12
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
casey? that guy is harmless, but on a good way. they should put me on TV then they'd have something to yell about.

what kind of mothers are those people who forbid their kids to watch cartoons on TV?
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #13
Gremlin
Foot Soldier
 
Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarky
what kind of mothers are those people who forbid their kids to watch cartoons on TV?
the ones that wasn't allowed to watch cartoons when they were kids?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
Albrecht
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,073
my cousins mom is like that but im normally there to shut her up... in a "polite" way of course.

and by the way am i the only one here who thinks a grappling hook is more dangerous than nunchucks.
__________________
Albrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #15
Reznorite420
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,851
There was another thread a while back talking about the exact same thing going on here, specifically how it didn't much sense at first that wooden weapons were taken out instead of metal one, but then it got to the argument that gangs used nunchakus in their crimes frequently.

I don't know, I'll have to dig up that old topic if I can find it.
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #16
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
but then it got to the argument that gangs used nunchakus in their crimes frequently.
Yeah, that's the biggest reason I've come across. In the UK, and maybe other countries, 'chucks were used by gangs. And so when the cartoon, and movies, were aired there, they were edited. To make things "easier" on the censors, I guess they decided to simply give Mikey another weapon so editing wouldn't have to be done.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #17
THE-X-FLO
Foot Soldier
 
THE-X-FLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 242
Quote:
If I remember right, the only time that the tmnt actually destroyed the foot foldiers were in the first season
That's wrong, Foot Soldiers are being destroyed from the first episode of season 1 to the last episode of season 7.
THE-X-FLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #18
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-X-FLO
Quote:
If I remember right, the only time that the tmnt actually destroyed the foot foldiers were in the first season
That's wrong, Foot Soldiers are being destroyed from the first episode of season 1 to the last episode of season 7.
Yeah, but here's something to think about. Leo sliced one of the foot soldiers in half before they found out they were robots! Now, one could argue that he had realized they were machines after Raph's comment, but one could also say that Leo thought he was fighting a person, and had no qualms about killing one.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:35 PM   #19
THE-X-FLO
Foot Soldier
 
THE-X-FLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali
but one could also say that Leo thought he was fighting a person, and had no qualms about killing one
I don't think that matches his character, since he never kills someone in the 192 following episodes
THE-X-FLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #20
Gremlin
Foot Soldier
 
Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-X-FLO
Quote:
If I remember right, the only time that the tmnt actually destroyed the foot foldiers were in the first season
That's wrong, Foot Soldiers are being destroyed from the first episode of season 1 to the last episode of season 7.
I didn't mean that it was the only time that they fought foot soldiers but I can't remember any episode besides the first where they cuts soldiers in half, knocks off body parts and so on. In other episodes, they just kicked them or did something else to defeat them but no actual de-attaching of body parts.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.