The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
YOur first thoughts on the TMNT movie

Back in the 90's most fans of the turtles only knew the turtles from the old toon, they had no idea that they started off as sinister comic book characters. Had no idea that they were watching a cartoon that bares almost no resemblence to the comics it's inspired from, the changing of Splinter's origin, Dimension X, the Utrom inspired Krang, and Bebop & Rocksteady just to say a few. The first film was based on the comics, not the TV show which most fans at the time were familiar with.

My question to those fans is this; when you first saw that film what was your first thoughts of it? Did these questions ever flash your mind; Why is Splinter Yoshi's pet rat? What happened to Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady? Why was there no Technodrome?
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Demonfox38
Stone Warrior
 
Demonfox38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 531
The first time I saw it, I wondered, "How do they get a puppet to look wet without damaging it?" To say the least, the whole torturing Splinter thing kinda bugged me.

Well, I don't know. It was after I first watched Star Wars. My mind was having enough issues comprehending Wookies.
Demonfox38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
The first time I saw it, I remember I wondered why Splinter wasn't Hamato Yoshi and all that, but thought it was still a very cool movie.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
raphael_is_cool
Mad Scientist
 
raphael_is_cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 2,151
To be honest I can't remember the first film as a kid, it was turtles so I just loved it. I paid no attention to that

Although I do remember thinking how funny it was seeing a little splinter copying his owner/master doing martial arts, how cute
raphael_is_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
spikealike
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 186
- I wondered why Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang weren't in it.
- I didn't have a clue who Casey Jones was.
- I wondered why Raphael wasn't as sarcastic etc
- I wondered why they changed it so Splinter was a rat all along
spikealike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #6
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Taloniss
Mad Scientist
 
Taloniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,819
I never really thought of the differenecs. Never really mattered, since I loved the first movie since the day I saw it. I did wonder why they didn't bother to use Bebop and Rocksteady in the second movie though. Tokka and Rahzar were ok, but Bebop and Rocksteady would have been cool.
Taloniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
Bowser_Koopa
Very yes
 
Bowser_Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not so far, go back a little
Posts: 1,849
when i first saw the second movie i thought tokka and rahzar were excuses for bebop and rocksteady XD XD
Bowser_Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist
 
jeff the cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 122 and an eighth
Posts: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser_Koopa
when i first saw the second movie i thought tokka and rahzar were excuses for bebop and rocksteady XD XD
They were.

I didn't think much as a kid, I always liked the movie better and it was what really got me into the turtles.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
MW8979
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 431
I was definately anticipating R & B in it, and Krang, considering he's probably my favourite character from the old show. So in that respect, I was unpleasantly surprised..... That aside, I was of course still impressed by the movie, mainly because of all the action in it (that I didn't expect).
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Before TMNT 2 came out, none of the trailers showed you pictures of Tokka and Rahzar, only shadows of them. So I think everyone expected it to be Bebop and Rocksteady.. I sure did. Playground rumors were that Bebop and Rocksteady would be in movie 2, Krang in movie 3.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:57 PM   #12
Bowser_Koopa
Very yes
 
Bowser_Koopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not so far, go back a little
Posts: 1,849
i never saw those trailers as a kid, they never got here
Bowser_Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
I was surprised by the changes, but I always dismissed em as typical movie-changes... like how Penguin was a birdman thing in the Batman Returns movie.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #14
TOAST
Thug
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 53
i loved the first one, second was even better
when i was little i was scared of shredder, whenever hed come on the tv id run away behind the couch and only come back when the "turtle guys" were on the tv. toast you were a crazy crackhead
__________________
-you thought it was over its not over i came back i brought my axe-
TOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #15
TMNT-Leonardo
Hench Mutant
 
TMNT-Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 265
I thought they screwed every fact up! Don't get me wrong, I never read the old comic, I knew it from the show. But it was a good movie.
TMNT-Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #16
raphael90
Stone Warrior
 
raphael90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ...down in the sewer listening to Skinny Puppy...
Posts: 618
first time you saw the movie

I was like seven or eight when I saw the first Turtle movie, I think we rented it. I can't really remember a whole lot about my first impressions since I was so young, but here's a few I remember. Now these may sound silly or a tad inaccurate but remember they are what I remember thinking back then.

*the sight of Michaelangelo actually paying for the pizza I thought was strange...maybe because in the cartoon the Turtles just miraculously always had pizza around.

*I thought the pizza the Turtles ate wasn't very appetizing...didn't remind me of Pizza Hut pizza which I ate quite bit of at that age

*the fight in April's apartment was a bit more intense to me at that age. I seem to remember when the floor collapsed under the Turtles they sank slowly not instantly like it really is. Also back then fire scared me alot, and the scene with April's apartment engulfed in flame kinda disturbed me

* I thought Tatsu actually killed the ninja in the locker room when he threw that fit of rage. I thought poor boy, he's dead. Seriously.

* I noticed even at that age the story was different with Hamato Yoshi, I didn't particularly like the change.
__________________

"Babies? These things haven't even been BORN yet!"


-Raphael
raphael90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
I remember a few things...

I was surprised they ate normal pizza, and that they served splinter a slice- well sorta, but he did have a plate there ready

Surprised by raph's character and all his 'damn damn' stuff, but he still had a few wisecracks. But it's ok, he was more of a bad ass

loved all the real cool martial arts action. backflips, jumpkicks, nunchuck tricks, the whole deal.

surprised by all the stuff like raph being almost dead, splinter being thought to be dead, shredder bitchslapping splinter in his already feeble condition...

what surprised me most was casey Jones. when i heard rumors that he was in it i couldn't believe it. at the time for me, casey was just another action figure character, and to put casey in the FIRST tmnt movie woulda been like putting in Mondo Gecko or Rat King in there. I was a bit disappointed that casey took his mask off for the rest of the movie and the whole trying to get with april bit.. back then i was in the 'april's mine!' age and didn't like it when she was eventually falling for him.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #18
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,021
I actually was into the Mirage Comics BEFORE getting into the old-cartoon, but I was still expecting the movie to be based on the cartoon because of the colored masks. I was pleasantly surprised that they based it on the comic despite the colored masks.

I was also surprised there was almost no sci-fi in it. But it was just a great Martial-arts movie. I loved it then. I love it now.

(And, as a kid I was kinda giggling over them saying "damn")
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 AM   #19
J Legault
Mad Scientist
 
J Legault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,054
I never seen it in theatures. I was too young to know the movie.

It was about 11 years later I rent the Movie for the first time and I like it. I thought it was based off the old cartoon but that was before I found this messageform or any info on the Mirage TMNT.
__________________
I am a fan of TMNT and I'm still one today.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:23 AM   #20
Savanti Romero
Stone Warrior
 
Savanti Romero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 600
My first thought's were, "That's a much better story for why Splinter's a rat. It makes a lot more sense."


My 500th post!
__________________
"The sceptor has returned at last; and it's all mine!"
-Savanti Romero, Vol. 1 issue 47 1992
AKA: [email protected]
utromheadquarters.0catch.com
Savanti Romero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.