The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Origins of the Shredder, which on his the best?
Mirage/films/NM 16 61.54%
Old Toon 7 26.92%
New toon 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Yet another Shredder thread.

I've noticed how over the years Shredder's background has changed radically.

In the Mirage comics, Hamato Yoshi killed Oruko Nagi trying to protect Tang Shen. Oruko Saki vowed revenge for the death of Nagi, his older brother. The Foot Clan took Saki under their wing and trained him in the art of ninjitsu. Saki's training was, as Splinter would say, tainted by the posion of hatred, hatred for Hamato Yoshi. After rising to the ranks of the leader, Saki became a samurai known as The Shredder. He then forefilled his vow by murdering both Yoshi and Shen. The Shredder in the films/NM is loosly based on this version of Shredder.

In the original animated series, Shredder isn't the samurai bent on a personal vendeta he is in the comics. In the old toon, Oruko Saki was but a student of Hamato Yoshi, the leader of the Foot Clan. Desiring his teacher's position, Saki set Yoshi up, resulting him in being banished from the Foot Clan. Oruko Saki became not only the new leader of the Foot Clan, but an evil samurai called The Shredder, pretty much bent on taking over the world.

From what I understand in the new series of Ninja Turtles, Shredder is not human, but a Utrom samurai (Note to self, suffer from amnesia).
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist
 
jeff the cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 122 and an eighth
Posts: 2,129
I like the old cartoons origin the best, but they were all good in their own way.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffthecheff
I like the old cartoons origin the best, but they were all good in their own way.
I kinda prefere the origin in the Mirage comics, it was very deep. Though I do like how Yoshi AKA Splinter was The Shredder's mentor. The fight in the fifth episode reminds me of the deul between Obi Wan Kenobi & Darth Vader in Star Wars.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
Original of course. The old cartoon's origin lost every bit of drama. Of course, thats understandable considering the target audience.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist
 
jestergoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,461
JW, did you just learn who Shredder is?

The Mirage comic Shredder has the best story but the old toon has its merits as well once Splinter and Hamato Yoshi enter into it. I mean, a rat learning ninja skills and being able to teach four different weapons to a master level? Hmm...
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
J Legault
Mad Scientist
 
J Legault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,054
I like the new one's background. The storyline for the New Shredder is very long and interesting.
__________________
I am a fan of TMNT and I'm still one today.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
Savanti Romero
Stone Warrior
 
Savanti Romero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 600
The new shredder was great untill he became an Utrom.

The mirage original is best.
__________________
"The sceptor has returned at last; and it's all mine!"
-Savanti Romero, Vol. 1 issue 47 1992
AKA: [email protected]
utromheadquarters.0catch.com
Savanti Romero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanti Romero
The new shredder was great untill he became an Utrom.

The mirage original is best.
I haven't seen Utrom Shredder yet, but it sounds like a bad idea. Mainly because that contradicts everything about Shredder so far.

Like in Return to New York Part 2, we find out out Shredder cloned himself thrice-- How can you clone an android body?

Shredder vanished when he walked into the shadows in The Shredder Strikes Part 1, suggesting him a spirit or myistic ninja of some sort.

In the very first episode, we see the Shredder sipping tea, how can an android body drink?

It's just incredibly sloppy.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:33 PM   #9
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrah White
Like in Return to New York Part 2, we find out out Shredder cloned himself thrice-- How can you clone an android body?
As we've said several times, it was Don who guessed they were clones. We don't know for a fact what kind of genetic experimenting they were doing.

Quote:
Shredder vanished when he walked into the shadows in The Shredder Strikes Part 1, suggesting him a spirit or myistic ninja of some sort.
Splinter's done the same thing, in his T-file profile, and appears out of the shadows to startle Raph in The Shredder Strikes Part 2. It was Saki's dojo, it's very possible he had a secret door there.

Quote:
In the very first episode, we see the Shredder sipping tea, how can an android body drink?
Data on Star Trek can. It's possible to construct an artificial system to store the tea, if it was even tea at all. Or even a type of "digestive" system that can actually get some use out of it.

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out that there are other explanations for these things.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrah White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanti Romero
The new shredder was great untill he became an Utrom.

The mirage original is best.
I haven't seen Utrom Shredder yet, but it sounds like a bad idea. Mainly because that contradicts everything about Shredder so far.

Like in Return to New York Part 2, we find out out Shredder cloned himself thrice-- How can you clone an android body?

Shredder vanished when he walked into the shadows in The Shredder Strikes Part 1, suggesting him a spirit or myistic ninja of some sort.

In the very first episode, we see the Shredder sipping tea, how can an android body drink?

It's just incredibly sloppy.
Jesus H. Christ...

The Utroms designed sophisticated bodies for thier disguises, obviously this also accomadates for eating/drinking etc.

It was a great idea, and the cartoon does not suffer from it, nor does the credibility of the New Cartoon Shredder
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #11
Taloniss
Mad Scientist
 
Taloniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,819
Original had good drama and emotion behind it, so it wins, hands down.
Taloniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #12
MW8979
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 431
Old show has the best origins for both Shredder and Splinter. Very logical and not too elaborate.
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #13
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,021
I don't know how logical the mutigen magically knowing what animal one touched last is. But, I like all three origin storys, Mirage being my absolute favourite.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #14
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali
Quote:
In the very first episode, we see the Shredder sipping tea, how can an android body drink?
Data on Star Trek can. It's possible to construct an artificial system to store the tea, if it was even tea at all. Or even a type of "digestive" system that can actually get some use out of it.

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out that there are other explanations for these things.
Not to start a fight, but just for the record Utroms feed outside their bodies (See Mirage Volume 1 #4). Interesting explaination though.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #15
Taloniss
Mad Scientist
 
Taloniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrah White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali
Quote:
In the very first episode, we see the Shredder sipping tea, how can an android body drink?
Data on Star Trek can. It's possible to construct an artificial system to store the tea, if it was even tea at all. Or even a type of "digestive" system that can actually get some use out of it.

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out that there are other explanations for these things.
Not to start a fight, but just for the record Utroms feed outside their bodies (See Mirage Volume 1 #4). Interesting explaination though.
So? The Utrom may eat in private, and he designed the body to store food/drink so he could appear normal to others and take part in things like Tea Ceremony's.
Taloniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #16
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Nonetheless it sounds like a bad idea, I personaly would have prefered Shredder to be a mystic ninja or Tengu or even a spirit. That exactly what my mum guessed when she saw Shredder retrieve his head, a spirit.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #17
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist
 
jeff the cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 122 and an eighth
Posts: 2,129
How could a spirit drink tea? And who says it was tea....maybe it was oil for his robotic body or something.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #18
Kali
Inactive Moderator
 
Kali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: California!
Posts: 11,101
Personally, when I first heard that Shredder was something other than human, I hoped he was a Tengu or demon, as well, simply because I love the mythology so much. But he's an Utrom, and now that I'm seeing the whole picture, I do like the idea. It's made for a very good story.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 PM   #19
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Well I just have to wait to see the episode, for now though I dislike the idea.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:31 AM   #20
J Legault
Mad Scientist
 
J Legault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,054
It's like the mutated creatures from notes from underground, most people thought they were going to be mutated animals but it turn out to be something else and everything turn out well.

Same with the Utrom as Shredder. We all thought it was going to fail but it actully worked well if you seen the episode.

Just because it looks like it will be unsuccessful doesn't mean it won't be successful.
__________________
I am a fan of TMNT and I'm still one today.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.