The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Shreddette
Hench Mutant
 
Shreddette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chained to Shredders Bed
Posts: 402
Turtles in a... half shell??

Heh, this might seem kind of dumb but my hubby brought this up recently and it totally made me wonder the same thing when I was a kid, even now...

they're in a half shell? I thought full shell, because they have the front part of the shell as well on their torso.

Daaaaah...
Shreddette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
PizzaPower
Foot Elite
 
PizzaPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pizza Parlor
Posts: 3,200
LOL, well half shell because they look human kind of.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
THE-X-FLO
Foot Soldier
 
THE-X-FLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 242
well they have a half shell on their back, I guess their torso doesnt count
THE-X-FLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Aaron
Hench Mutant
 
Aaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 357
I've often wondered this same exact thing. But I wasn't smart enough to post it.
__________________
"Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki"
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:46 PM   #5
host_punktmy
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 469
hmmmm....... I'm pretty sure they were on drugs when they were making the old toon. Every time soemone yelled out staff meeting it really meant let's smoke some reefer in the board room.
__________________
"Eat this"

www.geocities.com/kingsofpain408 This is our site
host_punktmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator
 
Jo Dawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Authority On All Things Don
Posts: 5,190
I've thought of that too... But I just tell myself that "heroes in a half-shell" sounds cooler than the alternative.
__________________
Jo Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
The torso part of the shell is flat, where as the back part of the shell is curved, hence half a circle. If both sides of the shell were curved that'd be Heroes In A Round Shell.
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Spectre
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 124
Yeah, I've always wondered why they used "heroes in a half-shell". I'm not saying I could've done better, though. I guess it was because it sounds cool.
(or it sounded cool back then. I'm not bashing the original series here, so please don't get mad. I'm just saying that it might've sounded good in the late 80s when it was aired.)
__________________




I'm a kid working at Kroger, so what!
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist
 
jeff the cheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 122 and an eighth
Posts: 2,129
Maybe they weren't referring to a turtle shell, but like a circular shell. They look kind of like clams on a halfshell.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #10
Tinselcat
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: uuuuh... off planet.
Posts: 1,190
Re: Turtles in a... half shell??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddette
Heh, this might seem kind of dumb but my hubby brought this up recently and it totally made me wonder the same thing when I was a kid, even now...

they're in a half shell? I thought full shell, because they have the front part of the shell as well on their torso.

Daaaaah...
i think the whole reason for the "heroes in a half-shell" is a play on the term "half-shell" used when describing how seafood is served (or more specifically, seafood from creatures with shells). i figured they were just being clever with the wording. but that's just my take on it.
__________________
Tinselcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #11
GodzFire
Hench Mutant
 
GodzFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Sewers
Posts: 292
Okay now no bringing up topics I posted awhile back
GodzFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #12
Deathknight
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: One of the 972 rooms of the technodrome
Posts: 1,995
What's weird is that whenever I bring up TMNT to someone and they start singing the theme song they always say "Turtles in a half-shell" instead of heroes. I really wonder why, every single person that remembered the theme that I've talked to says that.
__________________
Shredder: "Ninja hall of fame? Ha! Where's MY statue?!"
-My Brother, the Bad Guy
Deathknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #13
Reznorite420
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,851
You're not the only one DK. Close to graduation time a guy in my economics class saw me wearing my TMNT shirt, and that's exactly what he did: "Turtles on the half-shell...turtle power!"

But then again he was an idiot anyway.
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:09 PM   #14
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
I believe that it was suppose to represent that they were half-human due to their mutation.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #15
Savanti Romero
Stone Warrior
 
Savanti Romero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrah White
The torso part of the shell is flat, where as the back part of the shell is curved, hence half a circle. If both sides of the shell were curved that'd be Heroes In A Round Shell.
But the definition of a shell is: a hard rigid usually calcareous covering of an animal. So, while it is a half circle, it is not a half of a shell. The Turtles, even mutated, still have a full shell. My guess for that part of the song is their "half human half turtle," or it just sounded good to the creators.
__________________
"The sceptor has returned at last; and it's all mine!"
-Savanti Romero, Vol. 1 issue 47 1992
AKA: [email protected]
utromheadquarters.0catch.com
Savanti Romero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #16
coryroo24
Hench Mutant
 
coryroo24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 448
Carapace-top shell, an outgrowth of bone
Plastron-bottom shell

I got this off a site...I guess they are both called shells so really its "heros in a half carapace" or "heros in a half plastron"
__________________
coryroo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #17
Orochi Chimera
Mad Scientist
 
Orochi Chimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,289
"heros in a half carapace" or "heros in a half plastron" heh heh

I was just thinking that it would be funny if they tried to market TMNT using those as catch phrases.
Orochi Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
Shreddette
Hench Mutant
 
Shreddette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chained to Shredders Bed
Posts: 402
Hmm, maybe it is referring to seafood on a half shell....

Turtle soup... Shredder...

Shredder would be partly conducting cannibalism if he ate them in soup!
Shreddette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #19
Jarrah White
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddette
Hmm, maybe it is referring to seafood on a half shell....

Turtle soup... Shredder...

Shredder would be partly conducting cannibalism if he ate them in soup!
Wouldn't the mutagen in their bodies give him radiation sickness?
Jarrah White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:46 PM   #20
Reznorite420
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,851
The mutagen isn't exactly IN their bodies (or even ON), so to speak.
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.