The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
Relay
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Cacalacky
Posts: 400
What did original fans think?

I am 21 years old and have been a big fan of the Turtles since the original cartoon came on the air. I know there are many Turtle fans that have loved them since before that when the original Mirage series was released. I was wondering what did these fans of the original Mirage comic think of the Turtles cartoon when it came out back in the late 80s. There are some many discussions on the forum about how people don't like some things about the new show because they don't follow the comics, but the original show did not follow the comics hardly at all. The comic was dark and mature while the cartoon was kiddy and although had action in it, was more slapstick. I probably would have been disgusted to have been a fan of the comic Turtles and then get a cartoon that didn't live up to that all. I fell in love with the cartoon before I ever heard of the comic book, so I don't know. To those of you that have been fans since the beginning, what did you think about the original cartoon when it came out?
Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Karpo_007
Inactive Moderator
 
Karpo_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,798
From the letter's page of Mirage issues there are two kind of reactions, others accepted that it was children's version and others called E/L sellouts.
Karpo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Stone Ill
Mad Scientist
 
Stone Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 2,397
People are stupid..
Stone Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Eidiot88
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 251
Quote:
From the letter's page of Mirage issues there are two kind of reactions, others accepted that it was children's version and others called E/L sellouts.
Thats is pretty much it, considering that this happends with everything I think people should have accepted it. I mean look at G.I. JOE, adult-type comic and kiddy tv show, Batman adult-type comic and kiddy tv show. Sh t happends.
__________________

Shredder's Pub Returning Soon...
Eidiot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior
 
Lord Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
Initialy, I watched it because it was based on one of my favorite comic books, Then it progressively became goofier and goofier. That was enough for me. I understand that liberties will be taken, and often a specific target audience will be spoon fed. The new toon is much closer to the roots of the subject matter, and I like it quite alot. I never considered once that Kevin and or Pete were sell outs.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
I don't think they were sell-outs, but I do think this: The Turtles were their new creations, and when they were offered a toy and tv show deal, they were so excited with the fact that their creations were going to be toys and cartoons that they were willing to let some things change. Back then, a saturday morning cartoon obviously isn't going to be as dark as the original mirage comics.

I don't think they initially expected the "kiddiefication" or anything like that. Probably before they knew it, TMNT had become so popular that there was no way they could possibly monitor everything that was coming out.
Well, anyway I would say no, they were not sell-outs.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:02 PM   #7
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,021
I was a fan of Mirage first, and I never though Eastman and Laird were sellouts.

Anyway, I liked the old-show (still do), but was a tad dissapointed by it.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior
 
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 835
Just be careful that this topic doesn't turn into another "old cartoon bashing thread."

We have way too many problems with people not being able to keep their emotions - not to mention their opinions - in check when comparing and contrasting the comic books to the old cartoon.

Should the bashing begin, this thread will be locked up faster than you can say, "But I was framed!"

"We're shrinkin' faster than a pair of cheap underwear!" - Raphael, from "The Incredible Shrinking Turtles"
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
Relay
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Cacalacky
Posts: 400
I did not start this thread to bash the original cartoon, and I hope people do not turn it into that. I was just thinking about how people get upset at the liberties they've taken with the new show, like Shredder being a Utrom, while the old show was even further from the original comic book. I got into the Turtles from watching the old show as a kid. I loved it then and I still do. I put my two cents in every once in a while concerning my opinions about how the new cartoon compares to the original comics. I just wanted to see what people thought way back when the original cartoon came out and similar discussions were taking place. No bashing was intended by this thread.
Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #10
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
On the other side, though, there are the kiddies who were drawn to TMNT by the old cartoon and discovered and 'fell in love' with the Mirage series because of it.

Like, y'know, me. (And many, many others.)

Even though I vastly prefer the original TMNT, I don't think Eastman and Laird 'sold out' at all. If they had changed their stories to suit the mad merchandising, it could be argued that they had sold out... But they did quite the opposite - they stuck with their original vision and just let the cartoon co-exist in peace.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry_Katz
And I don't think Eastman and Laird 'sold out' at all. If they had changed their stories to suit the mad merchandising, it could be argued that they had. But instead, they stuck with their original vision and just let the cartoon co-exist in peace.
Exactly
Anyway, I think the TMNT universes have alot more in common then they have apart.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:13 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry_Katz
On the other side, though, there are the kiddies who were drawn to TMNT by the old cartoon and discovered and 'fell in love' with the Mirage series because of it.

Like, y'know, me. (And many, many others.)

Even though I vastly prefer the original TMNT, I don't think Eastman and Laird 'sold out' at all. If they had changed their stories to suit the mad merchandising, it could be argued that they had sold out... But they did quite the opposite - they stuck with their original vision and just let the cartoon co-exist in peace.
that is true. they coulda figured their comic would made more money and make it more like the cartoon, but instead they stuck to their original plan and kept goin.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
hey look at it this way....as goofy as the old show was it beats NM....and it was popular enough to spawn 3 movies and even a third tv series that rocks this time around...so in my humble opinion....if it wasn't for the late 80's TMNT toon we wouldn't have 2003's new TMNT
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #14
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur
 
Tetsu Deinonychus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Studio Snowlion HQ
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
hey look at it this way....as goofy as the old show was it beats NM....and it was popular enough to spawn 3 movies and even a third tv series that rocks this time around...so in my humble opinion....if it wasn't for the late 80's TMNT toon we wouldn't have 2003's new TMNT
And, if it wasn't for the early 80s TMNT comic, we wouldn't have the late 80's TMNT toon. It's ALL connected.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:46 PM   #15
Deathknight
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: One of the 972 rooms of the technodrome
Posts: 1,995
My favorite was when my Dad told me about the 80s hulk live action series. In the comics it was very violent yet in the live action series, to defeat his opponents all the hulk did was roar at them. In other words, comics to tv never seems to work out. With the G.I. Joe cartoon I always thought it was extremely odd how there was 10,000 shots going all over the place and nobody ever got shot. Yes it was because it was a kids show of course but they should at least make it so it sort of makes sense.
__________________
Shredder: "Ninja hall of fame? Ha! Where's MY statue?!"
-My Brother, the Bad Guy
Deathknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #16
PizzaPower
Foot Elite
 
PizzaPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pizza Parlor
Posts: 3,200
I loved the old TMNT seius! It is one of my favorite TMNT univers! oopps, that I think is the comics!
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #17
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
the new show is pretty good. It gives me something to do on a saturday morning....be a kid again.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:45 PM   #18
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Angel Land
Posts: 4,150
No, they didn't sell out. Sure, they let other people use their characters and stuff, but they didn't do a thing diffrent after it got big. If anything it let them do MORE of what they wanted, because they didn't have to worry about fans suddenly not liking them and going broke.

Then again, maybe that's kinda a double edged sword .
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #19
MTN889
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: I would tell you, but i fear an attack of AOL Trial CDs.
Posts: 665
Dude relay that sword is awesome
MTN889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:45 AM   #20
tOkKa
tOkKie-Pokie,puddin'n PIE
 
tOkKa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pajamas out of the water on the elephant was sweating a lemon.
Posts: 1,729
-->> I like everything Ninja turtles.. all of it..

.. even the girl turtles.. i eat paste.

!!

..here's a picture of my kitty.. his name is Fluffy!!
__________________
666

!!terrible2z/GGM!!/T.G.R.I./ ..モンスターのカメを解読しなさい。
tOkKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.