The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 07:13 AM   #1
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Fugitoid toy and some concepts for Skuba turtles

Here he is, he looks pretty cool. If you see red X's just right click and hit show picture



here are the Skuba turtle concepts




May I ask why the turtles need Scuba gear? Their turtles lol and they seemed to do fine without it in garbageman.

If I find anything else Ill post it in this topic
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
TheCloneRanger
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 356
Re: Fugitoid toy and some concepts for Skuba turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
May I ask why the turtles need Scuba gear? Their turtles lol and they seemed to do fine without it in garbageman.
While I don't think WE need figures of them in Scuba gear...a "real" Turtle would. They're reptiles, and therefore breathe air. Amphibians (a frog, for example) shouldn't need the gear, but 4 reptiles certainly would.

Real, mutant turtles at that.

That being said, those were never in the show, and have no business being in the toy line. I remember an article in Lee's last year saying the "Extreme Sports turtles were the farthest PM would go from the show".

Bull s**t.
__________________
~Larry
TheCloneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Snailman
Hench Mutant
 
Snailman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, Long Island
Posts: 310
Re: Fugitoid toy and some concepts for Skuba turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCloneRanger
That being said, those were never in the show, and have no business being in the toy line. I remember an article in Lee's last year saying the "Extreme Sports turtles were the farthest PM would go from the show".

Bull s**t.
Yeah, I remember that too. From what I heard, the guy who was (notice the past-tense) working on the new TMNT line at the time had no plans to get crazy like the last line did. So I guess Playmates didn't like the sound of that & made him "go away". Then they got another variant loving dude to make the line so they could have TONS of product to clog shelves at the store!

WTF!?

Haven't any of these toy-people learned ANYTHING from Mattel's mistakes with their new Masters of the Universe toyline? You'd think these guys would walk into a store once & a while & see their product clogging the shelves. I was in TRU the other day & ALL the had left were misc versions of the 4 turtles. Nothing else.

I sware I'm going to make my own toy line/company one day & make sure to never make a variant....

-Snailman
Snailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Donatello
Stone Warrior
 
Donatello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 565
i have to say that toy lines need variants to keep afloat, and these scuba tmnt i actuallly think are pretty cool and aren't nearly as bad as birthday party leo. you guys are over-reacting, you can't just sell the 4 tmnt and other characters later on, you need to prolong a toyline for as long as possible and variants help that. i for one am looking forward to these, and am really really excited about the space tmnt(and i love that they named them the same as the 90's versions)
__________________
"There's no way to describe what I do. It's just me." -Andy Kaufman (my biggest inspiration, the TMNT being a close second)
Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
TheCloneRanger
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i have to say that toy lines need variants to keep afloat, and these scuba tmnt i actuallly think are pretty cool and aren't nearly as bad as birthday party leo. you guys are over-reacting, you can't just sell the 4 tmnt and other characters later on, you need to prolong a toyline for as long as possible and variants help that. i for one am looking forward to these, and am really really excited about the space tmnt(and i love that they named them the same as the 90's versions)
I never said they didn't need variants...variants from the show would be just fine. "Fallen Angel" punk TMNT? Awesome. Undercover Don (Vint) was always one of my favorite figures...along with the TMNT with the heads that you could push into their shells and then pop up. Why not make the TMNT in their tenchcoats (I think we've seen Raph in one in the new show, right?)

Those are LEGITIMATE variants. They're in the show, they have a story, they're cool. Hell, I got Birthday Party Leo one year for my birthday, and even that seems cool.

But, for all intents and purposes, I'll go on and say it: we don't need variants. Keep rereleasing the basic TMNT from wave 1. I know that if/when I get into new toy lines that are already established and I'm looking for a main character, I don't want it dressed in a parka or a neon night suit. I want that character in his/her most memorable "condition"...with the TMNT, that'd be naked.

Creepy.

This would fill Playmates and every other manufacturer's BS policy of needing main characters on the shelf, but keep the completists pacified. It's weird to look at my TMNT shelf and see more Turtles than any secondary characters.
__________________
~Larry
TheCloneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist
 
Anarchistguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Posts: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i have to say that toy lines need variants to keep afloat, and these scuba tmnt i actuallly think are pretty cool and aren't nearly as bad as birthday party leo
WTF???

They actually made "Birthday party" TMNT in the old line?
__________________
M.D.K.
Maim! Destroy! Kill!!!



"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
TheCloneRanger
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchistguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i have to say that toy lines need variants to keep afloat, and these scuba tmnt i actuallly think are pretty cool and aren't nearly as bad as birthday party leo
WTF???

They actually made "Birthday party" TMNT in the old line?






They seemed a lot cooler 12 years ago...but hey, we may be looking at the future with these, anyway.
__________________
~Larry
TheCloneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #8
Donatello
Stone Warrior
 
Donatello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 565
i would prefer showoriented varients too, but aside from the astronauts, and trenchcoats(which i REALLY want to see) what else is there?
__________________
"There's no way to describe what I do. It's just me." -Andy Kaufman (my biggest inspiration, the TMNT being a close second)
Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #9
TheCloneRanger
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i would prefer showoriented varients too, but aside from the astronauts, and trenchcoats(which i REALLY want to see) what else is there?
We could have the TMNT in punk/street clothes as seen in Fallen Angel...I would have loved to gotten show accurate Space Hoppin' TMNT (including Mikey with his tail, of course). Battle Damaged TMNT, while dancing on the line, would even be ok.

And of course, Red-bandana TMNT would be too cool for words.
__________________
~Larry
TheCloneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
Donatello
Stone Warrior
 
Donatello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 565
red masks would be cool, and i might get the street clothes ones, but i honestly like the toys space ones better, they would done the same sculpt for all 4 if they stuck w/ the show. this way yer gettin 4 completely different figures.


and i would have no interest in Batlle -damaged tmnt.
__________________
"There's no way to describe what I do. It's just me." -Andy Kaufman (my biggest inspiration, the TMNT being a close second)
Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #11
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I think the skuba turtles look kool Ill buy one! Proably Don because he comes with a Sting Ray hehehe. But I would like to see them in like street clothes and maybe some cool crossover ones like when they did Turtle Trek. But Maybe lik Mobster turtles or something. Or Classic TMNT with all red masks I dont knock just ideas
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #12
Triceraton
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 246
I like these too... the variants we're getting might be stupid, but at least they're not too rediculous. I mean, just because we've never seen the Turtles in scuba gear, doesn't mean they couldn't wear it. While I would greatly prefer show-accurate variants(and we are getting a set later this year, the Turtles with their Shell Cycles as seen in "Return of the Justice Force"), I'll still buy these.

I'm actually probably going to go back and get the Xtreme Turtles now, and the Space Hoppin' ones when I see them. If I'm going to start buying variants, I might as well make sure I buy all of them.
Triceraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #13
Snailman
Hench Mutant
 
Snailman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, Long Island
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i have to say that toy lines need variants to keep afloat, and these scuba tmnt i actuallly think are pretty cool and aren't nearly as bad as birthday party leo. you guys are over-reacting, you can't just sell the 4 tmnt and other characters later on, you need to prolong a toyline for as long as possible and variants help that.
Oh, yeah I know that much. I owned quite a few of the variant turtles from the old toyline & they are pretty cool. I don't know how things differ from now, as opposed to 10+ years ago when toylines didn't have uber variants in them.

Variants, are needed yes, but sometimes it's too much of a good thing. As an example, Mattel's old Masters of the Universe toyline had it's two main characters, He-Man & Skeletor, in only 4 incarnations each. Now, that toyline lasted from 1982/83-to-1986/87 & they only had FOUR variants over that 4+ year period that the toyline was around. What's to say that making only that many new versions of the Turtles in their toyline wouldn't also work? Why does it have to be 3 groups of 4 new turtles a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i for one am looking forward to these, and am really really excited about the space tmnt(and i love that they named them the same as the 90's versions)
I'm a person who enjoys playing with cool toys, & these toys do look fun to play with, so in that respect I'll most likely purchase them. Will I buy a scuba gear Mikey figure over Leatherhead? Hell no. In my collecting, secondary characters come first, then variants of the turtles. I collected the old toyline when I was a kid in a similar way. I liked animals & seeing what new mutants were coming out each wave was awesome, shame the new line doesn't have more aliens, robots, or mutants in it (but some waves do appear to).

-Snailman
Snailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:40 PM   #14
Donatello
Stone Warrior
 
Donatello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 565
i agree, i do look forward to the new characters over variants (although, i was disappointed to w/ leatherhead) and variants get out of control w/ lines w/ lesser main good guys, i'm just waiting for a cabana wear batman
__________________
"There's no way to describe what I do. It's just me." -Andy Kaufman (my biggest inspiration, the TMNT being a close second)
Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:09 PM   #15
Snailman
Hench Mutant
 
Snailman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, Long Island
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello
i agree, i do look forward to the new characters over variants (although, i was disappointed to w/ leatherhead) and variants get out of control w/ lines w/ lesser main good guys, i'm just waiting for a cabana wear batman
Yeah, Leatherhead, in my opinion, I would have liked to see as a deluxe figure. He's supposed to be like 10-or-12 feet long, but they always make him much smaller then that. I would have rather Playmates made him with "jaw-snapping action", as a crocodile man that can't bite other toys is just not a crocodile man.

Yeah, cabana wear batman is something scary to see. Maybe some toy company should make a line of figures called "the Variants!" that'd just be variants of characters- that way they'd get to have their fill of variants in one shot.

-Snailman
Snailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.