02-28-2017, 12:13 PM
|
#31
|
|
Foot Soldier
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Baltimore, Marlyand
Posts: 249
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne
It is and it isn't just a number. Imagine if, for instance, The Walking Dead comic had started over after issue #100. Same exact continuity, same exact characters, same exact creative team. Would it have worked? Would it have been well received? Would it have boosted the sales any more?
Now, I'm not gonna comment on the quality of that comic post-All Out War, but for such a great series as IDW TMNT, and all things being equal, I'd rather they kept pushing the envelope as far as they can on the numbering. Counting past 100 says to the readers, both current and potential: "Look, here is a confident long-running comic that isn't afraid of its own history, it's good and we know it, why don't you come find out too?"
How often are readers hooked solely on relaunches, anyway? Isn't that a bit too 90's speculative boom-ish? Personally, I've often picked up new comics (Afterlife with Archie, Manifest Destiny, etc) several issues in and only because someone told me about them, or I read something about them online that made me curious. Word of mouth can have a much more positive impact than seeing a new #1 in the stores.
|
I feel the exact same way. In a market in which a series is lucky to make it to 10 issues before a reboot/relaunch, 100 is a big deal
|
|
|