The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #121
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist
 
ObiWanFan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
The blatant disregard for the TMNT franchise is apparent with this movie...who cares if this guy is a good actor? He sounds like a horrible Splinter.

This is sounding like a film along the lines of the 90s live action Street Fighter film. Yup.
So? People thought Daniel Craig would be a horrible James Bond in Casino Royale. And then they saw his performance. You can't judge a book by it's cover. Tom Cruise looked nothing like Jack Reacher, and he was really good in that movie. Just wait until the movie comes out before you judge
__________________
"The force will be with you, always"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
ObiWanFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #122
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
I don't think many people care about Splinters height although there is precedence for a tall Splinter beyond the Nickshow such as TMNT Adventures and Rick Veitch's "The River". Both very popular amongst fans. On the whole I think fans prefer him short.

Fact is I like Danny Woodburn. I liked him on Seinfeld as well as playing Big Figure in Watchmen and even in fluff like Jingle All The Way but his voice doesn't really sound like Splinter and I've never got the impression Woodburn is a master of changing his voice. Maybe he's been hiding his credentials all this time but I can't help but think he'll either be an ill fit or they'll alter the Splinter character so he can he can sound like the actor.

As for the idea that there's plenty of examples of fans grousing about how someone is miscast only to turn out fine there's also plenty of examples of this being dead on. When Tim Burton cast Michael Keaton as Batman he released footage to reassure fans that the movie was on the "right" track. There has been nothing that anyone involved in this movie has done to reassure us our worries are in vain. Just pure deflection.

Also its not a bad thing to take available information about what we know about the movie and the people making it and reach a reasonable conclusion. If we're wrong then that's great but the whole "lets wait and see attitude" bugs me. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers have huge marquee value but after their movies no one trusts them to support another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
Does anyone else think Eastman may just be the slightest bit sick of rehashing the same friggin story a bazillion times?? This movie is a reboot, not a remake, and is clearly going in a completely different direction and that takes balls. I say kudos to these guys for not taking the easy way out and just updating the original film for the 21st century, Kudos I say! Now that being said, this movie could still be one magnificently huge stinker, but I think it deserves the chance to be presented with an open mind from its source fanbase.
What does Kevin Eastman have to do with anything. It's not like he's making it. One might ask whether Stan Lee is sick of rehashing the same stories for all his characters.

Also casting Megan Fox and making the characters aliens doesn't sound like they are taking the difficult route in this picture.

Last edited by Galactus; 04-17-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #123
Bossodio
Thug
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hollywood BABY!!!
Posts: 72
One day I am gonna meet Mike bay. I will fight him Highlander style and collect his #$%@*&^ head.
Bossodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #124
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
I do not know what I think of this...
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #125
Vivi
Mad Scientist
 
Vivi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ninja HQ, Moon
Posts: 1,076
Back on topic...

Do you think the actor will be performing with a Japanese accent? I quite like the 2007 movie and Nick toon voice acting for Splinter, but they both are of asian descent (Korean, I think, for the latter). But I did like Kevin Clash and that dude is Elmo.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #126
Lethal Lullaby
Foot Elite
 
Lethal Lullaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
I do not know what I think of this...
This is what I think...


Maybe I'll see how this movie turns out with this Splinter. And who knows. I might or might not like it.
Lethal Lullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #127
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist
 
Shreddhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
Back on topic...

Do you think the actor will be performing with a Japanese accent? I quite like the 2007 movie and Nick toon voice acting for Splinter, but they both are of asian descent (Korean, I think, for the latter). But I did like Kevin Clash and that dude is Elmo.
Not really. I feel like theyre not leaning towards much of any Japanese influence for this film. I am excited to see what they do with it tho. Btw, the original movie splinter is how i usually imagine splinter to talk, just my preference.
__________________

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #128
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
Me too. I hear that voice whenever I read him.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140

Last edited by Slade; 04-17-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #129
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant
 
Welmanshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by leolao View Post
hey guys according the site www.superherohype.com

"Paramount Pictures launched CinemaCon's opening night festivities with a montage preview of their upcoming slate and two extended looks at the forthcoming Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z. Some projects in the montage, like Transformers 4, Interstellar and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" offered only logos, although the appearance of the latter seems to fully confirm that the title will include both "teenage" and "mutant".

so that's mean that they kept the main title but there is no picture of the movie logo.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...nd-world-war-z
I had talked to a few people working on the film and all of them were referring to it as TMNT. This confirms it then. Good.
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #130
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior
 
Darth Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mutani-Isle
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Um, is that guy really the best choice for an old wise sensei from Japan?
That was my first reaction as well. Like a lot of others here I do like him on Seinfeld but he certainly wasn't my first pick to play Splinter. For me the biggest question will be his voice. I can't picture him voicing Splinter right now. I guess we'll see how he does next year.
__________________
"Shredder, what have you done!?!" - Tiger Claw (Annihilation: Earth!)
Darth Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #131
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
If Splinter is a mutated Rat in the new movie, does he really need to have a Japaneses or Asian accent?

Sure the rat was born in Japan, but he mutated and developed the ability for human speech in New York. As much as I like Mako's voice acting for the last movie, Splinter don't necessarily need an Asian accent if he is a mutated rat and not Hamato Yoshi mutated to a rat.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #132
METALHEAD
Stone Warrior
 
METALHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san benito texas
Posts: 734
huh. a midget playing splinter. how odd.
__________________

i ship it.
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #133
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
ooookaaaayyyyy. my initial feeling is that its kind of an odd choice. other than his size, i dont believe much else works for the character. as others have noted, his movements are more of a waddle and his voice i dont see as a fit either. all that said, i'm not a producer or special fx guy, so i'll wait to see what kind of magic they work with the character.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #134
hitmonkey
Foot Soldier
 
hitmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
ooookaaaayyyyy. my initial feeling is that its kind of an odd choice. other than his size, i dont believe much else works for the character. as others have noted, his movements are more of a waddle and his voice i dont see as a fit either. all that said, i'm not a producer or special fx guy, so i'll wait to see what kind of magic they work with the character.
My hope is that he'll walk with a cane which may explain the walk. I like the idea of a tiny Splinter, it's very much in line with most iterations of the character. But yeah, I agree with the general consensus that the casting is a head scratcher, although for me it's almost entirely due to the voice.
hitmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #135
the fixer
Hench Mutant
 
the fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BELGIUM
Posts: 395
The actor's natural voice doesn't mean anything. Nor the voices of other characters he's played. He's an actor. He can change it.

Take an actor like Alan Cumming. Played two blue-skinned characters- Nightcrawler (X-Men 2) and Gutsy (The Smurfs).
COMPLETELY different voices. Noone could tell it was the same actor.

The voice is the very least of my concerns.
Megan Fox isn't.
the fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films, movie casting


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.