The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #2001
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Aaaw, I really wanted a Slash, but the scale is just way off, just like Leatherhead. It's a no-buy for me. :/
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #2002
nimajneb
Stone Warrior
 
nimajneb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Croydon
Posts: 547
I'm going to put my trust in playmates and hope Slash does look like this,
the most recent Slash pic looks, well, half hearted.

Also, it probably doesn't matter - by the time it comes out in the UK we'll be clamoring for them because it isn't the peg filler that is stealth tech...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Actually we'll probably be getting something closer to this for Slash:

http://playmatestoys.com/uploads/bra..._basic_pu1.jpg

The newer version has a new, better head sculpt, as you can see.
__________________
[SIZE="2"]

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #2003
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
And here we have the Newtralizer:

Front view:
Spoiler:


Side view:
Spoiler:


Comparison pic with Nick Raphael:
Spoiler:


Right view:
Spoiler:


Final shot with Raph:
Spoiler:


Newt comes with 2 weapons (circular blade and a knife). His left hand is molded to hold the circle and the right hand is molded to hold the knife. He has a holster on his right side to hold the knife. He's a solid figure, with nice sculpting. His biggest drawbacks are the lack of paint on his accessories and also the fact that they hollowed out his tail to save on some plastic!! Very cheap move Playmates!!!
Newtralizer and Slash also have parts of their feet hollowed on the bottoms like some of the other Nick figures.

I should have Mikey soon and will snap some pics of him asap.

Rick
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #2004
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist
 
The Turtle Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,110
Wow, I think Newt is quite awesome
__________________
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #2005
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
Wow, I think Newt is quite awesome
Yeah, with a slightly better paint job that Newtralizer would be "almost" perfect. The only other thing I would change would be that hollowed out tail.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #2006
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
I'm still concerned about the trying-real-hard-to-take-a-dump look on newt's face but I do like the figure a lot.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #2007
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist
 
LincolnHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,037
not going to surf through 101 pages of posts, but has the obvious been stated, what is up with the ghost eyes? Playmates cant even apply a black dot for a pupil? Oh my lord.....
LincolnHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #2008
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist
 
LincolnHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,037
I thought this response from neca was funny when someone tweeted this pic:



Read this tweet from neca: They gave it a thumbs down lol
https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/469147073632546816
LincolnHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #2009
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
not going to surf through 101 pages of posts, but has the obvious been stated, what is up with the ghost eyes? Playmates cant even apply a black dot for a pupil? Oh my lord.....
Pretty much... I guess they figured that's one less paint app to do.. so a few more cents per figure in their pocket!!

It would be so great if NECA was doing the 6" Classic Collection. I can only imagine what their 1990 movie turtles would've looked like!!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #2010
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
I still highly doubt that that version of Slash will be the final release. The official picture we've seen is a much brighter blue and has a different head sculpt. I know the figures are never exactly like the official pictures, but come on...his weapon is two different colors for crying out loud.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #2011
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I'm still concerned about the trying-real-hard-to-take-a-dump look on newt's face but I do like the figure a lot.
Eating all those Kraang's have made him irregular....
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #2012
tmntmikey23
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NV Las vegas
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I still highly doubt that that version of Slash will be the final release. The official picture we've seen is a much brighter blue and has a different head sculpt. I know the figures are never exactly like the official pictures, but come on...his weapon is two different colors for crying out loud.
Would it surprise you if that was how he look. i believe thats how he will look Play mates will NEVER!! go back and change anything
tmntmikey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #2013
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
Well.. to change the topic a bit... what do you guys think about starting a new trading thread for the Mystery Mini's and Takara Tomy figures??? Since these are 'blind bag' figures, I'm sure there will be those looking for certain single figures or looking to complete full sets.

I've ordered a case of each but plan on ordering more cases (assuming I can find more tomy cases to order... most places are sold out). Once I get them in and break them down, I know I will be posting a thread of items to trade. Instead of me having my own list in the buy/sell/trade forum, it seems like it might be a good idea to have a communal thread where everyone can post their wants/haves.

I know the Takara figures are 10 to a pack. I'm hoping it will give 2 full sets of turtles, plus 2 extras. The Mystery Mini's have 12 in a box, but there is 12 different figures in total. I don't know if we will get a complete set in a box, or if there will be short packs. I really hope to complete a full set with just one box, but who knows if that's possible??!!

Just a thought.... Rick
Update: I just managed to get a second order of Takara Turtles figures. Going to try and get at least 3 to 4 cases for trading purposes and completing sets.

Rick
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #2014
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I still highly doubt that that version of Slash will be the final release. The official picture we've seen is a much brighter blue and has a different head sculpt. I know the figures are never exactly like the official pictures, but come on...his weapon is two different colors for crying out loud.
Delusional much? Rick posted what is basically the production figure. The image from Playmates' promo image is likely a hand-painted piece, in order to make the figure look good.

C'mon, you're obviously a seasoned collector - you should be used to this by now. Playmates shows a fantastic-looking figure, we all get excited, only to find that the released version is a poorly-painted, underarticulated lump of shite...
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #2015
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
Delusional much? Rick posted what is basically the production figure. The image from Playmates' promo image is likely a hand-painted piece, in order to make the figure look good.

C'mon, you're obviously a seasoned collector - you should be used to this by now. Playmates shows a fantastic-looking figure, we all get excited, only to find that the released version is a poorly-painted, underarticulated lump of shite...
I know what you mean, but the pictures of the Slash figure that were posted just look way too prototype-ish, especially since the weapon is molded in two different colors. I'm just having a hard time believing that that's the final product...but we'll see, I guess.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #2016
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I know what you mean, but the pictures of the Slash figure that were posted just look way too prototype-ish, especially since the weapon is molded in two different colors. I'm just having a hard time believing that that's the final product...but we'll see, I guess.
sadly, especially with the way movie figures look..it seems playmates has entered the quantity over quality ..and rather release a so so figure instead of a atleast good one
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #2017
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I know what you mean, but the pictures of the Slash figure that were posted just look way too prototype-ish, especially since the weapon is molded in two different colors. I'm just having a hard time believing that that's the final product...but we'll see, I guess.
I'd bet his weapon is 2 parts - it'd be too costly & difficult to mould a single piece in 2 different colours. The mace head looks to be the same colour as his lower legs (with the "skin" painted, as it's a noticeably different shade to the moulded plastic skin colour) and part of his shell, and I'd imagine they'd be part of the same tooling.

At the end of the day, every different paint app is more money - it cost a lot to make the metal masks, the cost of the paint soon adds up over a whole run (or multiple runs) of figures - not to mention the time of finding the right colour/paint formula, getting it approved, making revisions etc. TMNT figures are amongst the cheapest around, and the lack of articulation/paint apps/accessories is a big reason. It's a kid's line after all, and kids don't care about such things (or so the perception goes). Why not cut them to save costs, if they're not going to be missed?
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #2018
GrapeSoda
Foot Soldier
 
GrapeSoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Broca Beach
Posts: 149
GYAH!

That Slash is just awful! He's smaller than Raph!??! I'm in shock.... He's SMALLER than Raph?!?! And his shell is NEON green? I'm speechless. Playmates is just churning them out at this point.

I enjoy repainting the figures to look more like their screen counterparts.....but i don't know about that Slash figure. I feel kinda hurt in my heart.
__________________
GrapeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #2019
psychturtle
Mad Scientist
 
psychturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,001
I'm done with playmates toys. To me, it's just like collecting burger king or mcdonalds toys. I have no desire to collect kids toys. Playmates toys is all bout cranking out bad sculpts, charging more for them, and not painting them. I'm done. I know they don't read these forums and all but it feels good to be done with them. I wish Neca would jump back in the tmnt line.
psychturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #2020
tmntmikey23
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NV Las vegas
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by okstpsy View Post
I'm done with playmates toys. To me, it's just like collecting burger king or mcdonalds toys. I have no desire to collect kids toys. Playmates toys is all bout cranking out bad sculpts, charging more for them, and not painting them. I'm done. I know they don't read these forums and all but it feels good to be done with them. I wish Neca would jump back in the tmnt line.
The only thing bad about NECA is that there not always in my stores. I understand you like that company but not all of us get there toys
tmntmikey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014 tmnt figures


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.