The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
fridaynightdestination
Banned
 
fridaynightdestination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 553
I've always been excited for this movie, this trailer just boosted my excitement though
fridaynightdestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #22
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisterStockboy View Post
Please, please, PLEASE don't let the soundtrack be dubstep.
Very rarely is the soundtrack of a film used in its trailer. Still, I hope the dubstep isn't reflected in the soundtrack at all...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
PizzaFaceDelivers
Thug
 
PizzaFaceDelivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 61
Yes! For the first time, I'm truly excited. I can't wait for August!
__________________

Check out my TMNT Tumblr!
PizzaFaceDelivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #24
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Nope. Still not liking what I'm seeing at all. And I will explain why. (Let's please not have any bickering about it, though?)

I've made it pretty clear already what I think makes the TMNT "work", and why making them gigantic and superhumanly strong, and making the Shredder into a giant mech-suit, completely misses the point of the concept, the characters, and the tone of the entire franchise. And I stand by that. That was my main concern, and this trailer did absolutely nothing to put those fears to rest.

To me, the Turtles look like ugly, 'roided-out Hulk monsters. They're throwing people around like rag dolls, meaning they're so over-powered that there's not much that poses a legitimate threat to them. "Regular" ninjas or enemies aren't a match for them at all. That removes a lot of the tension and stakes immediately, which I find way more important than over-the-top superhero action scenes. And I've said it before, but: the Shredder is a huge mech-suit because he needs to be in order to fight the giant Turtles, who are giant and super-strong so they can fight the Mecha-Shredder. The logic seems to be "bigger is better" across the board - everything has to be big and explosive and "badass" at all times. And that kind of thing doesn't do much for me at all.

Oh, and I find the visual/directing style totally obnoxious. That too.

These are just my opinions. People like what they like and that's fine. But I definitely feel that this, and Transformers, are giving audiences what's basically Michael Bay's Generic Explosions-Based Action Movie over and over again, with the same basic "character" archetypes, visual style and manner of action set-pieces, with whatever property he's gobbled up sledgehammered into that framework like a square peg into a round hole.

And it's frustrating (for me personally) that in doing so, they often toss aside the actual spirit, tone, style, message, etc. of the source material that actually makes it memorable and worthwhile. The more successful that method is, the more likely we're just gonna get Michael Bay Action Movie #78 with a nostalgic-property's name slapped on it, instead of something that actually has legitimate care and effort put into representing that property at its best.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 06-24-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier
 
HotNunchuckFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 160
Nope. Always been super-hyped about this and the trailer just fuelled my excitement even more!
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #26
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Still absolutely hate Megan Fox as April, & her "acting" in this trailer only worsens that feeling, but I have to admit I've got a bit more faith now. The designs still have a lot of flaws but they're considerably better looking than the absolutely terrible promotional art they've been using. I never doubted the film would look good, & it certainly delivers on a visual level. Lots to see, very detailed & vibrant, fast paced, shiny, etc. While I think this new concept of Shredder is 100% bullcrap, I will say he's definitely imposing, & looks cool in action. I can appreciate the design & idea behind it, but it just doesn't sit right with me, or feel like it belongs with the turtles. These turtles, maybe, but eh... I'm very interested in who the shadowy figure Sachs was talking to is, though! Saki? Tatsu? Gives some credit to the theory that Sachs is Chunin to a bigger & badder fella, like the original Shredder or whatever. We'll see, I guess. Dubstep sucks. Figured they'd use it. Meh. Action looks cool, & I really dig the voices. Knoxville, to me, is a surprisingly good fit as Leonardo. It suits the design, to say the least.

So overall I'm still unhappy with Fox, new Shredder, over-complicated designs, high-tech everything, & dubstep, but I've got some new excitement nonetheless. Despite my being vocally against most creative decisions behind this film, I said from day one that I would still be able to find some merit in it. So I don't want anybody trying to say I've changed my tune.

I agree with the below whole-heartedly, just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I've made it pretty clear already what I think makes the TMNT "work", and why making them gigantic and superhumanly strong, and making the Shredder into a giant mech-suit, completely misses the point of the concept, the characters, and the tone of the entire franchise. And I stand by that. That was my main concern, and this trailer did absolutely nothing to put those fears to rest.

To me, the Turtles look like ugly, 'roided-out Hulk monsters. They're throwing people around like rag dolls, meaning they're so over-powered that there's not much that poses a legitimate threat to them. "Regular" ninjas or enemies aren't a match for them at all. That removes a lot of the tension and stakes immediately, which I find way more important than over-the-top superhero action scenes. And I've said it before, but: the Shredder is a huge mech-suit because he needs to be in order to fight the giant Turtles, who are giant and super-strong so they can fight the Mecha-Shredder. The logic seems to be "bigger is better" across the board - everything has to be "badass" at all times. And that kind of thing doesn't do much for me at all.

Oh, and I find the visual/directing style totally obnoxious. That too.

These are just my opinions. People like what they like and that's fine. But I definitely feel that this, and Transformers, are giving audiences what's basically Michael Bay's Generic Explosions-Based Action Movie over and over again, with the same basic "character" archetypes, visual style and manner of action set-pieces, with whatever property he's gobbled up sledgehammered into that framework like a square peg into a round hole.

And it's frustrating (for me personally) that in doing so, they often toss aside the actual spirit, tone, style, message, etc. of the source material that actually makes it memorable and worthwhile. The more successful that method is, the more likely we're just gonna get Michael Bay Action Movie #78 with a nostalgic-property's name slapped on it, instead of something that actually has legitimate care and effort put into representing that property at its best.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
I went from cautiously optimistic to being absolutely psyched out of my mind. Definitely my most anticipated movie!
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #28
Fjaj
Thug
 
Fjaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Nope. Still not liking what I'm seeing at all. And I will explain why. (Let's please not have any bickering about it, though?)

I've made it pretty clear already what I think makes the TMNT "work", and why making them gigantic and superhumanly strong, and making the Shredder into a giant mech-suit, completely misses the point of the concept, the characters, and the tone of the entire franchise. And I stand by that. That was my main concern, and this trailer did absolutely nothing to put those fears to rest.

To me, the Turtles look like ugly, 'roided-out Hulk monsters. They're throwing people around like rag dolls, meaning they're so over-powered that there's not much that poses a legitimate threat to them. "Regular" ninjas or enemies aren't a match for them at all. That removes a lot of the tension and stakes immediately, which I find way more important than over-the-top superhero action scenes. And I've said it before, but: the Shredder is a huge mech-suit because he needs to be in order to fight the giant Turtles, who are giant and super-strong so they can fight the Mecha-Shredder. The logic seems to be "bigger is better" across the board - everything has to be "badass" at all times. And that kind of thing doesn't do much for me at all.

Oh, and I find the visual/directing style totally obnoxious. That too.

These are just my opinions. People like what they like and that's fine. But I definitely feel that this, and Transformers, are giving audiences what's basically Michael Bay's Generic Explosions-Based Action Movie over and over again, with the same basic "character" archetypes, visual style and manner of action set-pieces, with whatever property he's gobbled up sledgehammered into that framework like a square peg into a round hole.

And it's frustrating (for me personally) that in doing so, they often toss aside the actual spirit, tone, style, message, etc. of the source material that actually makes it memorable and worthwhile. The more successful that method is, the more likely we're just gonna get Michael Bay Action Movie #78 with a nostalgic-property's name slapped on it, instead of something that actually has legitimate care and effort put into representing that property at its best.


True, but the '87 series also made many drastic changes (I definitely don't think it kept the spirit and tone of the comics), and this one looks to be a product of its time, much like the '87 series. And although I am not a big fan of that series, many other people love it, and it's their favourite version.
__________________
Fjaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 858
Yes and no. I still hate Megan Fox as April and Silver Samurai on crack version of Shredder, but I think they're at the very least getting the characterization of the turtles right (from what I can gather) and the action seems to be pretty intense and fun.

It still has the potential to be a terrible movie (hopefully it won't be), but at the very least, it won't be boring.
__________________


Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Why does everyone here hate dubstep? all my friends at school love it.
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #31
Fourcylinder
Foot Soldier
 
Fourcylinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 131
I think my opinion of this movie has changed over time, at first I was vehemently opposed to it. Over time, i mellowed, not due to fondness towards anything the marketing was showing, but more so because I accepted that it was going to happen and my complaining wouldn't change it... so whatever. I always intended to see it, just on a Sunday (which where I live means 5 dollar tickets) and not on an opening weekend. This trailer didn't so much change my opinion, but it makes me slightly more hopeful that there will be at least some aspects of the movie that I may not be complaining about while watching it. Though, I still do not like the turtle designs, especially not the faces... they just look bad.
Fourcylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
Why does everyone here hate dubstep? all my friends at school love it.
Adults tend to prefer real instruments.
__________________


Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #33
Tazi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 1,088
Not really. All a blockbuster's trailer can show these days are just little eyecandy and some bad onliners, so basically, I only saw iw again, how bad these movie character designs are, and how bad actor Megan Fox still is.
I'll still watch it anyway, but meh...
__________________
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #34
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Fifth Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago sewer
Posts: 2,488
Yes, I am even MORE excited to see it now.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #35
thebrownranger
Stone Warrior
 
thebrownranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Still absolutely hate Megan Fox as April
Agreed. I wish we could have got someone better, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
While I think this new concept of Shredder is 100% bullcrap, I will say he's definitely imposing, & looks cool in action.
Yeah true. It kinda bugged me when Will Arnett said "robot Samurai." There doesn't seem to be much of a ninja aspect to The Shredder seeing as he's fully samurai in this flick. But he definitely looks f*ckin badass in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm very interested in who the shadowy figure Sachs was talking to is, though! Saki? Tatsu? Gives some credit to the theory that Sachs is Chunin to a bigger & badder fella, like the original Shredder or whatever.
Who kows, maybe a mummified/resurrected Oroku Saki?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Dubstep sucks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Knoxville, to me, is a surprisingly good fit as Leonardo. It suits the design, to say the least.
Yeah, I was pretty shocked in a good way. His voice performance does seem to suit this version of Leonardo pretty well. One part of this trailer that convinced me of that was when he threatened April saying "If you do, we will find you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT is cooler than MOTU View Post
Adults tend to prefer real instruments.
__________________
https://www.instagram.com/allenjac0b/
WANTED:
A.C. Farley Leonardo Bust (bronze & unpainted)
Playmates TMNT statues- Donatello, Michelangelo
thebrownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Hasn't changed my mind really any. I was already figuring I'd eventually see it at some point, outside the theater. Good to see more of the Turtles, and Leo esp nice to actually see/hear him speak... but this movie isn't gonna win me over to the maker's design choices. If only they'd gone about it a bit differently I'd probably be jumping up and down with most of the rest of you. But I'm not, makes me kinda sad that I'm not, but... it is what it is I suppose.

They don't feel turtle enough to me and I have my own thoughts how that might have been better achieved by a different style of tweaks, but people would prob flip if I were to voice it. Just wish it wasn't too late to be part of their damn design team... lol

As I said in that other thread, I think my main fear really is over the chance that this particular style of model choices could mark itself as the only acceptable version of "realistic" to the point that something else someday that's a little more recognizable but also given super realistic textures and motion suddenly isn't acceptable. I really hope not.


I'll see it eventually, prob when available on demand. And I'll still side with my fave Leo... even if he doesn't look Leo enough to me. At least they gave him cool armor and nice eyes.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #37
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior
 
Mona_Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 516
I've gone from really worried to pretty excited and wanting to drink lots of crush soda, LOL!!!!!
__________________
Mona_Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #38
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Oh, and I find the visual/directing style totally obnoxious. That too.
Yeah, the shots look so off to me... kind of irritating.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #39
sh3llshocked
Foot Soldier
 
sh3llshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 102
Man I miss being a kid. Back when everything wasn't so over analyzed and scrutinized. This board has reminded me of why I hate reading reviews from "professionals" like Roger Ebert, etc. Listening to some old crab break down every movie if it doesn't come out like Schindlers List...ugh. I joined this forum to enjoy all things turtle, especially the new movie, but I've gotten to the point where even opening a thread on this forum is so depressing. I read one or two comments and then it's right back to shrek, wrong voices, Megan Fox is soo terrible, and of course....:drum roll: MICHEAL BAY! Dom dom dooooooom!

I think I will retire from this forum for a while, and return to the land of normal humans, back where I can enjoy this movie without feeling like, for some reason, I should hate this movie. This franchise has had so many changes over the years, I find it so funny that people can gripe about this movie...crazy
sh3llshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
not really....its nice to see a turtle centric trailer, but that doesnt mean they will be the main focus...just look at the transformers trailers..they put all the robot action to draw people in

still not a fan of shredder tron

i mean sure i can atleast tell ill enjoy it as a summer movie but its not turtles to me
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.