The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #81
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oh that takes me back...
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #82
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
That little gem was Mila Kunis's acting debut, sir. I shan't see it slandered.

Besides, he saved the SH*T outta that orphanage, did he not?

Jester's sig pic totally makes it look like Raph is going "Ahem" and presenting that pic. Love it.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #83
slingtheory
Stone Warrior
 
slingtheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 580
I was fearing the worst but honestly it doesn't look as bad I thought it would be. Still doesn't look like something I'd want to pay to pay full price to see though because all the things I think are wrong with it are still front and center. Redbox it is. Oh and I don't remember who it was but congratulations to the guy who speculated splinter didn't get captured with the guys because he was left for dead and raph would be the one to find him. You called it bro
__________________
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #84
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
It did a little I must admit. Looks like a fun action packed movie. Still don't know why they couldn't just do this with the classic designs. Don't make some people happy. Make everybody happy.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #85
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Pretty much exactly what I been saying. I mean, obviously that isn't possible, but it's not unthinkable to try. The biggest changes seem to have been painted with a "Bwahaha, this'll *really* mess with those nerds!" brush, and I don't get it.

I mean, there's stuff I'm seeing that I'm still not thrilled about, but if I didn't hate the overall look so much, some of the rest would definitely go down smoother. For me, anyways.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #86
trikuza
Foot Soldier
 
trikuza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 175
judging by the likes vs dislikes on youtube, as well as twitter commentary, it changed a lot of people's opinions.
trikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #87
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
It kinda got me psyched to see just how bat dookie insane this thing is gonna be...because man it's nutty as a squirrel turd.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #88
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Throw in Nash or Hogan as Hun and I'll take back everything bad I've ever said about this movie, Obama, and NASCAR. I swear.

Not the Houston Astros, though. F*ck those guys.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #89
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
judging by the likes vs dislikes on youtube, as well as twitter commentary, it changed a lot of people's opinions.
Well... Did not change my opinion of the models neck up.. I did "like" on YouTube but that was in large part to bookmark it. Curious still of this movie, but not in love with it as some seem to be.


Have to admit I'm a little torn.. I'd rather not to hand over my money to the makers of it, and at this point in time money is tight as it is, though it will be a test of patience to wait it out until it's available via other means. If the soda boxes gave away ticket... eh, I might have been tempted to go if it was on their dime.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-24-2014 at 06:34 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #90
BMo
Foot Soldier
 
BMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 134
For me this trailer helped a little and hurt a whole lot more. I am really worried that they have spoiled a lot of the movie with this trailer. Many of the things shown I would have rather experienced in the theater. Knowing the outcome of certain fights and things just makes me worry that now the I'll be sitting through the movie and will feel like, "oh yeah, I knew that was going to happen" all the way through.
BMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #91
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Yeah, for me it helped in some parts and reinforced my opinion on others. I think that the Bay tropes we were all ragging on are going to be present since we've now seen footage of an explosion in the lair, and more tossing around rather than ninja buttkickery. *shrugs* Maybe they just mean that they're ninja in the sense that they use ninja weapons. (Which is more than we can say for the Foot, clearly. ).
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #92
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Yeah, for me it helped in some parts and reinforced my opinion on others. I think that the Bay tropes we were all ragging on are going to be present since we've now seen footage of an explosion in the lair, and more tossing around rather than ninja buttkickery. *shrugs* Maybe they just mean that they're ninja in the sense that they use ninja weapons. (Which is more than we can say for the Foot, clearly. ).
I have a question. Throughout my years of being a TMNT fan, it always seems to paint that while the boys may have been trained as Ninjas, when they fight, Leo is known as the most skilled in Ninjitsu, and is most likely to use that mastery. With the others, Don has been mostly shown to use his brain and tech, Mikey his speed and using scenarios from his comic books to come up with plans, and Raphael is always known to be more of a brawler, than a true Ninja. So, is the movie really taking that much liberty with this kind of thing, when other incarnations have been guilty of it as well?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #93
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I have a question. Throughout my years of being a TMNT fan, it always seems to paint that while the boys may have been trained as Ninjas, when they fight, Leo is known as the most skilled in Ninjitsu, and is most likely to use that mastery. With the others, Don has been mostly shown to use his brain and tech, Mikey his speed and using scenarios from his comic books to come up with plans, and Raphael is always known to be more of a brawler, than a true Ninja. So, is the movie really taking that much liberty with this kind of thing, when other incarnations have been guilty of it as well?
I don't really know enough about the actual rules of martial arts to be able to factually say "this isn't ninjitsu, that isn't ninjitsu", so everything I say should be taken with that in mind when I talk about the lack of ninja action. What I will say is that my perception is that this movie is taking liberties in a far more overt manner than we've really seen before. It's not that we've never had Turtles action where nobody ever got tossed - but I think other incarnations probably paid a bit more lip service to the ninja "spirit".

It was just a bit odd seeing Leo toss someone into the side of a subway instead of, I dunno, ninja-kicking the person into the side of a subway. Likewise, it's jarring to see Karai pointing a gun at someone when I'm used to seeing her use ninja moves.

It's not that it's bad, terrible, unforgivable et al. Or that it's good, great, wonderful. It is what it is, people's mileage will vary from person to person. But I do feel that it is different from what we've seen before. Which, to be fair, is pretty much what The Powers That Be have been saying all along.

Again though, this is just my analysis of what we've seen so far. If I'm proven wrong on some points after seeing the movie, I've got no qualms about admitting it.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #94
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I don't really know enough about the actual rules of martial arts to be able to factually say "this isn't ninjitsu, that isn't ninjitsu", so everything I say should be taken with that in mind when I talk about the lack of ninja action. What I will say is that my perception is that this movie is taking liberties in a far more overt manner than we've really seen before. It's not that we've never had Turtles action where nobody ever got tossed - but I think other incarnations probably paid a bit more lip service to the ninja "spirit".

It was just a bit odd seeing Leo toss someone into the side of a subway instead of, I dunno, ninja-kicking the person into the side of a subway. Likewise, it's jarring to see Karai pointing a gun at someone when I'm used to seeing her use ninja moves.

It's not that it's bad, terrible, unforgivable et al. Or that it's good, great, wonderful. It is what it is, people's mileage will vary from person to person. But I do feel that it is different from what we've seen before. Which, to be fair, is pretty much what The Powers That Be have been saying all along.

Again though, this is just my analysis of what we've seen so far. If I'm proven wrong on some points after seeing the movie, I've got no qualms about admitting it.
I don't know anything about Ninjitsu either. But I just know, on more than one occasion when I get into arguments about Raphael vs Leo, I get a lot of "Raph's more a brawler than a Ninja, that's why he loses".

But either way, the semi ninja action doesn't really bother me. It's hardly what made me a fan of the Turtles.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #95
voltron80
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Nope. Still not liking what I'm seeing at all. And I will explain why. (Let's please not have any bickering about it, though?)

I've made it pretty clear already what I think makes the TMNT "work", and why making them gigantic and superhumanly strong, and making the Shredder into a giant mech-suit, completely misses the point of the concept, the characters, and the tone of the entire franchise. And I stand by that. That was my main concern, and this trailer did absolutely nothing to put those fears to rest.

To me, the Turtles look like ugly, 'roided-out Hulk monsters. They're throwing people around like rag dolls, meaning they're so over-powered that there's not much that poses a legitimate threat to them. "Regular" ninjas or enemies aren't a match for them at all. That removes a lot of the tension and stakes immediately, which I find way more important than over-the-top superhero action scenes. And I've said it before, but: the Shredder is a huge mech-suit because he needs to be in order to fight the giant Turtles, who are giant and super-strong so they can fight the Mecha-Shredder. The logic seems to be "bigger is better" across the board - everything has to be big and explosive and "badass" at all times. And that kind of thing doesn't do much for me at all.

Oh, and I find the visual/directing style totally obnoxious. That too.

These are just my opinions. People like what they like and that's fine. But I definitely feel that this, and Transformers, are giving audiences what's basically Michael Bay's Generic Explosions-Based Action Movie over and over again, with the same basic "character" archetypes, visual style and manner of action set-pieces, with whatever property he's gobbled up sledgehammered into that framework like a square peg into a round hole.

And it's frustrating (for me personally) that in doing so, they often toss aside the actual spirit, tone, style, message, etc. of the source material that actually makes it memorable and worthwhile. The more successful that method is, the more likely we're just gonna get Michael Bay Action Movie #78 with a nostalgic-property's name slapped on it, instead of something that actually has legitimate care and effort put into representing that property at its best.
voltron80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #96
Pondslider
Foot Soldier
 
Pondslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 178
No. I didn't hate the first half the trailer and then everything after Raphael says he has to get his brothers back undid whatever good the first half did.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #97
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It kinda got me psyched to see just how bat dookie insane this thing is gonna be...because man it's nutty as a squirrel turd.
Two poop references, I like it.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #98
FoxBoxKid
Foot Soldier
 
FoxBoxKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 214
Before this trailer, I wasn't sure whether or not I'd even watch the new movie. Now, I will probably see it in theaters. After I see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and Guardians of the Galaxy, of course, and definitely not in 3D.
__________________
cow·a·bun·gler
/ˌkou-əˈbəNG(ə)lər/
noun informal
a person who enjoys the 1980s animated series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but erroneously believes that no other incarnation of the franchise can possibly compare to the cherished cartoon of their childhood, often expressing their opinion in an obnoxious manner.
Example:
"Cowabunglers and their absurd narrow-mindedness regarding Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles really get on my nerves."
FoxBoxKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #99
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
It appears to be a blend. The turtles still use their weapons, (that's "ninja action," by default), but at the same time, humans don't weigh too much.

Would I prefer more traditional martial arts? Perhaps. But I'll trade it in in a heartbeak, when it affords me wild, over-the-top action, like Turtles Vs Humvees, Mikey carrying around a rocket board, and Donnie deflecting bullets with a bo. Really isn't far off today's cartoon. They can dispatch Foot with one blow, too.

We already had a grounded TMNT. Let's have a crazy one. #TeamTechnodrome
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #100
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron80 View Post
...yyyes? What exactly didn't make sense there, pray tell? I feel I backed up my opinions pretty well - if you wanna dispute them, feel free to back it up with more than a GIF.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.