The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #901
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 377
I like that it seems like Splinter has a genuine hatred for the Shredder, but on the other side I hate that he says he has trained the Turtles to protect the city.

The Turtles designs being over the top makes more sense when you consider how over the top Shredder is, not saying it makes it right, but it makes sense as to why the Turtles are so huge design wise.
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #902
iceberg325
Random Punk
 
iceberg325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 37
Ive seen the trailer about 6 times already. After watching it, I think the movie looks pretty bad ass. Shredder looks really intimidating as he should. The turtles seem like they have great chemistry and humor. The action looks dope. I can't wait.
iceberg325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #903
trikuza
Foot Soldier
 
trikuza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
The designs fit the film, and that's easier to see, now.

And Michelangelo sounds exactly the same... The comparison just emphasizes it. They just got a good actor for Mikey.
he sounds like 2003 mikey
trikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #904
beeshaw
Hench Mutant
 
beeshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto-ish
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yup, was not what I was suggesting at all.

Although Smurfs and other junk like that isn't a realistic render... That would be more along the lines of that 2007 movie laid over top of the live footage of this one. Just no. Realistic is..realistic...is...believable. And ultimately, they did not go that direction in keeping a bit more recognizability so we really can't know how good or bad that itself might have been had they done so. In the right hands, who knows.
I admit to being curious as to the design (what could have been) and R&D that's gone into this flick. I'd be VERY interested in a very thorough and in depth look at the behind the scenes/design/special effects stuff. (Im a sucker for Special Features)

I would like to think they at least gave a thought to live action suits with a CGI face ala Where the Wild Things Are. There's gotta be a test or something on film.

From what we've seen though, I will not be surprised when ILM is nominated for an Oscar. (too soon for Oscar talk?)
__________________
beeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #905
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Here's a new shot of Karai from the new Trailer.

__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #906
iceberg325
Random Punk
 
iceberg325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshaw View Post
I admit to being curious as to the design (what could have been) and R&D that's gone into this flick. I'd be VERY interested in a very thorough and in depth look at the behind the scenes/design/special effects stuff. (Im a sucker for Special Features)

I would like to think they at least gave a thought to live action suits with a CGI face ala Where the Wild Things Are. There's gotta be a test or something on film.

From what we've seen though, I will not be surprised when ILM is nominated for an Oscar. (too soon for Oscar talk?)

I doubt it. Movies like the matrix and star wars didn't win the oscars. They'll probably snub this movie pretty hard.
iceberg325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #907
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshaw View Post
I'd be VERY interested in a very thorough and in depth look at the behind the scenes/design/special effects stuff.
You and me both. I'm curious if these were sculpted first (with a laser scanning them into the computers) or if they were straight up modeled digitally from scratch. And really curious as to their design process and what all went on behind closed doors.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #908
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeshaw View Post
From what we've seen though, I will not be surprised when ILM is nominated for an Oscar. (too soon for Oscar talk?)
Yessir, sir. The Academy, by and large, HATES these kinds of movies. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), even Man of Steel didn't get a nomination, and for whatever else was wrong with it, it looked fantastic, and also had the "rub" of being from a much bigger franchise.

I just... honestly don't see anyone, ever, under any circumstances, standing on a stage in a tux, saying, "And the Oscar goes to 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'". And that has less to do with the quality of the film, and more about how the Academy selection process works. To them, recognizing "popcorn entertainment" would undermine the "integrity" of their little hoity-toity club. It could look amazing, and they'd still ignore it, because it's what they do.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #909
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544


Well, the detail is pretty good. You can see a bead of sweat come down Leo's forehead.

So, I guess in this incarnation, they are definitely warm blooded.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #910
BoxxHarry
Mouser
 
BoxxHarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Here's a new shot of Karai from the new Trailer.
I see that she still got that multi-coloured hair like in the Nick show
__________________
BoxxHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #911
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist
 
MrTMNT2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
https://38.media.tumblr.com/745e733a...ucdqo3_500.gif

Well, the detail is pretty good. You can see a bead of sweat come down Leo's forehead.

So, I guess in this incarnation, they are definitely warm blooded.
The attention to detail is absolutely impeccable!
__________________

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #912
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Well, the detail is pretty good. You can see a bead of sweat come down Leo's forehead.

So, I guess in this incarnation, they are definitely warm blooded.
o.O Didn't catch that. Lovely, turtle sweat. "How are you sweating, you aren't a mammal??" (You realize this means if Venus was in there she'd still have boobs.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #913
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
At the risk of being a hypocrite, I'm willing to chalk that up to "Eh, mutants." I've made that "oops" myself in writing them. I think that's one of those things only the really super-hardcore types think twice about.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #914
Bob
Stone Warrior
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK, England
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yessir, sir. The Academy, by and large, HATES these kinds of movies. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), even Man of Steel didn't get a nomination, and for whatever else was wrong with it, it looked fantastic, and also had the "rub" of being from a much bigger franchise.

I just... honestly don't see anyone, ever, under any circumstances, standing on a stage in a tux, saying, "And the Oscar goes to 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'". And that has less to do with the quality of the film, and more about how the Academy selection process works. To them, recognizing "popcorn entertainment" would undermine the "integrity" of their little hoity-toity club. It could look amazing, and they'd still ignore it, because it's what they do.
It’s true, and that's terrible. I will never forgive the academy for not recognising the, quite frankly, jaw-dropping and unique work ILM did on the first Transformers film (the first, when no one had seen anything quite like it before). Instead, they gave it to The Golden Compass. Their line of thinking was clear: do we give the award to a film based on a bestselling literary work, or a film based on a toy line directed by Michael Bay. No contest. You know, even though the CGI and animation in TGC was dog s#ite.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #915
MastahShredder
Stone Warrior
 
MastahShredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 743
__________________
MastahShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #916
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Same reason The Lion King wasn't even nominated for Best Picture in 1994, and they later created the Best Animated Film category as a condescending pat on the head. Because animated movies clearly aren't "real" movies, deserving of equal accolades and recognition.

Same rules apply here. Only "real" movies get Academy recognition. Nobody in/based on a cartoon, or anyone wearing a cape who doesn't have "Bat" in their name, need apply.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #917
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
By ILM I assume we're talking Industrial Light & Magic, yes?

Unfortunately the film industry also has an attitude against the visual effects branch of the industry as it is which is an incredible shame. People do a lot for the film industry but the respect for it is lacking by the rest.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #918
Bob
Stone Warrior
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK, England
Posts: 546
Another perfect example is Hugo winning the award for visual effects, up against Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I'll just let that sink in.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #919
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Do those awards really mean anything to anyone other than the Hollywood glitterati though? Not being snide, they may well be important - I just don't really think about them when I'm factoring in whether I'll watch a movie or in judging whether it is in fact any good. IMO it's a popularity contest - it's not an indication of quality filmmaking at all. Kind of hard to take any award seriously that nominates Shakespeare In Love as best anything, y'know?
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #920
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,391
1. Splinter raised them their whole lives to protect the above world? What for?

2. Donatello can deflect machine gun bullets by spinning his bo-staff.

I've seen enough.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films, trailer


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.