The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #461
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Not yet, but this is where that kind of stuff starts.
Still holding out that someone tells him to knock it off.
Bonus points if it's April, Splinter, or Karai.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #462
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
OR... oooorrrrr.... the publicly-traded billion-dollar company that relies on millions of soccer moms to buy their merchandise and needs to appease their stockholders caves in and yanks the show due to outcry.

Just gonna go out on a limb and say that's slightly more plausible. Big picture, gang, big picture.
If there was seriously an issue, it would have come out by now. Trust me, the soccer moms aren't going to give a sh!t. In fact, I think more soccer moms are more tougher than the ones back in the 90's. We at least can get Turtles knocked out in this toon, I doubt it would have never happened in the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
Did I miss something? Does "nice guy" suddenly have creepy connotations? Wow; I'd hate to hear what "mean guy" means!
Nice guys tend to end up being the Jeffery Dahmers of the world.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #463
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
On Nice Guys, from XKCD.
"Friends with Detriments"
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #464
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Not yet, but this is where that kind of stuff starts.
Still holding out that someone tells him to knock it off.
Bonus points if it's April, Splinter, or Karai.
I thought Raphael has tried, several times, that Donny is just fooling himself, that it's not going to work. In fact, I think Raphael is the only trying to keep Donny's head above water with all of this. I personally like it, because it gives us some very precious and rare Raph and Donny moments.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #465
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
On Nice Guys, from XKCD.
"Friends with Detriments"
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png
That sums up the love triangle pretty nicely.....o_o a little too nicely....
__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:41 PM   #466
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
That sums up the love triangle pretty nicely.....o_o a little too nicely....
Seems totally off to me because the love triangle isn't played up at all and Donnie and Casey are friends. At no point has Donnie ever come in between Casey and April. He's never verbalized it to or in front of April. He had a good chance to interrupt them in Target April o'Neil, twice, but didn't and left them alone. He could've in Wormquake but didn't. His main focus was to keep them all safe. In Wrath of Tigerclaw he didn't bat an eyelid to April going to check on Casey and stuck with Leo to help defend Karai to Raph. In Plan 10 he didn't try to show off or anything to up Casey or anything like that. Casey has Donnie's back and Donnie has his when needed.

Bottom line, I still get the impression that he knows that he doesn't have much of a chance to get with her, being a mutant and all, but values his friendship with April way more. If I'm misinterpreting this based on what we've seen my mistake.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #467
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Just thought I'd bring this up again and hope for an actual response...
*****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Wow, if you LIKE that kind of behaviour, I want you FAR away from me. That chart was a way to dodge consent, and shows that in Donnie's mind, WHAT APRIL WANTS MEANS NOTHING.
I'm insulted by this comment as you didn't debate the post, but attacked the poster. To quote once again....
Quote:
I thought it was pure genius and just re-emphasized how he's the type to overthink and plan. Wasn't that the actual premise of the episode? He couldn't fight properly because he would think too much.

How exactly is this creepy, anyway? How is it any different from a guy or girl who may purposely walk a certain path just to have an excuse to be near the object of his or her affections? Or a situation where you're thinking of ways to hang around that person? He just came up with different scenarios to hang around him, and personally, I'd find it hard to believe if no one's ever done that (not on Donny's level of course). I know I have.

I was interested in a guy, already friends, would try to think of a way to be alone with him without others around and without it seeming like I'm trying to get a date out of him. Just thinking of a way to casually hang out without other friends along, that type of thing. i find these actions, by Donny, quite normal. His over analyzing and planning, though is played up for laughs.

If he had a chart filled with her day-to-day activities ("See, and this is when April washes her hair, so I'll come by and offer her specialized shampoo that will enhance her hair's shine...") listed or her exact locations ("...and at exactly 3:27, she's usually standing at the corner of [street name] so I can go there and...."), etc., then I would find that creepy. He was just coming up with different scenarios to hang out with her when the opportunity presented itself and predicting what she might or might not say. The homework scenario was quite logical, imo. She's a student, of course she'll have homework (and she's mentioned it).
Completely normal.

Nowhere is Donnie trying to avoid consent. He was thinking of ways to hang with her or impress her when and if the opportunity presented itself. They upped it because the ep was about Donnie learning how to get out of overthinking. Even when he did use the chart, he asked to train together since she would be there training. There was an opportunity and he took it. He didn't force anything.

Even I've done something similar. No chart of course. My crush liked playing video games. So did I. We were at the arcade. I played games with him. I didn't force him to play, he chose to. It was nicer because we were alone. I was able to get to know him better and talk one-on-one. That's why I wanted to be alone with him. Even if nothing happened in the romantic sense, I could still make a good friend. How is this creepy? As a matter of fact we're still friends to this day. 22 years.

Thinking back to my second year of HS, a guy I know did something similar. He did sport commentating for our games. It was our first homecoming game and we were both preparing for. We were helping with the parade. He asked me when finished if I wanted to sit in the commentator's box with him since I didn't have a ticket to the game. We would've been alone for it, but I didn't think anything of it. We were already friends, though, which is why I didn't. I didn't stay because I was tired from the day. He then said that if I changed my mind, I could always join him. There was an opportunity, and he took it, especially since I mentioned wanting to see the game earlier. He wanted to spend alone time with me. He had a crush on me. I didn't know it then. I learned this after high school and even admitted that he did plan that. That aside, he wanted to impress me with his commentating skills and to have an opportunity to hang with me alone since we were always around others. Is this creepy?

Last edited by ssjup81; 08-12-2014 at 07:23 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #468
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Seems totally off to me because the love triangle isn't played up at all and Donnie and Casey are friends. At no point has Donnie ever come in between Casey and April. He's never verbalized it to or in front of April. He had a good chance to interrupt them in Target April o'Neil, twice, but didn't and left them alone. He could've in Wormquake but didn't. His main focus was to keep them all safe. In Wrath of Tigerclaw he didn't bat an eyelid to April going to check on Casey and stuck with Leo to help defend Karai to Raph. In Plan 10 he didn't try to show off or anything to up Casey or anything like that. Casey has Donnie's back and Donnie has his when needed.

Bottom line, I still get the impression that he knows that he doesn't have much of a chance to get with her, being a mutant and all, but values his friendship with April way more. If I'm misinterpreting this based on what we've seen my mistake.
Or as much as he would like April to be his girl friend, he knows Casey well enough to know he's a good man who has April's best interests at heart.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #469
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
I think we all need to understand that none of us can truly claim that this is in the right or the wrong, for none of us can relate to it.

We've been exposed to the opposite sex our entire livelihoods. None of us didn't see a person of the opposite gender for the first time when we were in our teenage years, when things begin to change inside us.

We can't say someone should know right or wrong to something we were never exposed to in such a manner ourselves.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #470
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
I think we all need to understand that none of us can truly claim that this is in the right or the wrong, for none of us can relate to it.

We've been exposed to the opposite sex our entire livelihoods. None of us didn't see a person of the opposite gender for the first time when we were in our teenage years, when things begin to change inside us.

We can't say someone should know right or wrong to something we were never exposed to in such a manner ourselves.
Exactly. The closest the turtles had been to a girl before April is that photo of Tang Shen and TV. If Donnie had been born human and raised normally then yes his behavior in the beginning would have been more problematic. But April is the first actually flesh and blood female person that Donnie has ever encountered. Genius or not, we can't expect him to know how the girls think or act or even what sort of behaviors they appreciate.


As for Donnie respecting women in the 2k3 and OT.

OT Donnie had a dislike towards humans with good reason, April was an exception because she was their friend. And yeah they all had crushes on April at one point or another, but for the most part April was a friend, a sister figure, and a the closest thing to a mother they have ever really known.

2K3 Donnie had a small crush on April, but it doesn't last because he pretty much accepts early on that April was not going to be anything more then a big sister and psudo-mother at best.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #471
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist
 
Ramboraph4life aka Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 1,233
Just get Don and April together 'officially' and be done with the "Friends" Rachel/Ross 'will they or won't they' schtick, and then move on to other things.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #472
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Here's the problem with the, "Don doesn't know any better!" argument.

Don's fictional.
He does what the writers tell him to do.
The writers should know better.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #473
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Here's the problem with the, "Don doesn't know any better!" argument.

Don's fictional.
He does what the writers tell him to do.
The writers should know better.
Holy ****, I couldn't have said it better myself.

You're amazing.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #474
JTH
"ME"
 
JTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Here's the problem with the, "Don doesn't know any better!" argument.

Don's fictional.
He does what the writers tell him to do.
The writers should know better.
The writers can't relate to situation either.

So they can write it however they want, and we have no right or reason to say it's an unreal reaction.

Plus I guess I shouldn't bring up the fact that the OT didn't know any better times 4, because...people tend to forget that.

Does that mean those writers didn't know what they were doing either?
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #475
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
The writers can't relate to situation either.

So they can write it however they want, and we have no right or reason to say it's an unreal reaction.

Plus I guess I shouldn't bring up the fact that the OT didn't know any better times 4, because...people tend to forget that.

Does that mean those writers didn't know what they were doing either?
Sure we do.
And...
Yes it does.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #476
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
On Nice Guys, from XKCD.
"Friends with Detriments"
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png
Sorry, this doesn't emphasize Don's crush on April at all or relate to it in any way. Don has never told April that Casey doesn't respect her or that she shouldn't be with him to her face. Although he has been jealous of Casey, he has never outright told April not to date him or to even like him. It seems to me that you're looking way too much into this whole thing. It's natural for someone to be jealous if they like someone and that person doesn't return their feelings and goes to someone else. What you have highlighted may happen, but not with Donnie, and I doubt it will.

Yes, some behaviors do start with stalking and the like, but Don wasn't stalking April when he was following her. He was following her to make sure she was okay because he knew the Kraang were still after her. None of the other Turtles wanted to do it, and Don decided it was his job to check in on her. There's nothing wrong with that. I would say it would be creepier if he watched her while she slept or peeked in on her when she was undressing. He hasn't done that, and I doubt he would because he knows there's a fine line between how he feels for her and respect for her privacy.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #477
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
I wanted to slap Raph in Target: April O'Neil when he said "Looks like we have to accept that she's gone for good." About April while Donnie was in ear shot, and no one gives a flip about it.

I mean in Break Out when Raph admits that he told Donnie didn't have a chance with April, Leo gets protective and says "What?! Why would you do that?!" And yeah Leo also admits that he feels Donnie is fooling himself with thinking that he and April would be together. But he pretty much doesn't say anything because April is someone that makes Donnie happy, and it's not his place to interfere with that.

Yeah it's possible or more then likely knew Donnie was there and he was saying "Accept it Donnie, she doesn't want to see us ever again." But no one seems to have noticed he had just returned or even that he had left the lair in the first place.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #478
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
He hasn't done that, and I doubt he would because he knows there's a fine line between how he feels for her and respect for her privacy.
No he doesn't, because he's done several things that prove he doesn't respect her at all. How are you not getting this.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #479
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Putting her on a pedestal is not the same as respecting her.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #480
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,108
Putting her on a pedestal is saying she can't do anything without him around.

April's been able to do plenty both with and without Donnie present. Take when April told him that she was being trained as a Kunoichi. Donnie was glad about it and asked if they could train together sometime. If he put her on a pedestal he would have objected to it and told Splinter "April is a delicate flower"

Also in Kraang Conspiracy, even though April was not skilled enough to join them on missions. Donnie is the only one of the Turtles who says "Maybe she could join in on one."

Placing her on a pedestal he would adamantly be saying "You can't come because you'd only get yourself hurt. Save the real stuff for the more experienced Ninja...like me."
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
april o'neil, donatello


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.