The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #241
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, I've been wishing something of that would be there or get leaked. Although it wouldn't necessarily put to rest to me that Knoxville was a better choice. (If they could have that guy in to record for it, there's no reason they couldn't have done the same with Pete and work with him to touch up anything they wanted to rerecord.)
Exactly. I've thought it about it a lot actually (sad as that sounds lol). I've put it down to this:

Either

- Ploszek's light voice clashed with the big & staunch aesthetic of this Leo.

- Knoxville has a naturally cartoonish voice. Maybe Ploszek sounded too much like a regular guy.

- Ploszek might've sounded too much like Ritchson (their speaking voices are really similar. But wouldn't that just make them sound more like brothers???).

- Knoxville can sound like a hardass when he wants to. Maybe Ploszek sounded too sissy during the action moments.

For all we know, they did try re-record with him & came to the agreement it just wasn't working. Either way, Ploszek's taken it like a champ. Only ONE interviewer has asked him how he felt & he replied “I like to think with the two of us, we built the best Leo we could.” What a legend. I really hope they let him do the voice for the sequel (assuming he does come back), continuity be damned.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #242
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm 100% convinced that adding Knoxville was just the studio being nervous the movie didn't have enough "Star Power", and they figured, "Hey, while we're screwing with things last minute..."

There's really no other reason that makes any sense.
Yeah but they didn't use him for any of the publicity whatsoever. He didn't get an end title card & isn't even on the blu-ray. If it was for star power, they'd take advantage & not hide all but his voice. Only way you'd know for certain it was him was if you stayed for the credits or saw the IMDb cast list.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #243
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Interesting point, but it wasn't exactly a secret either. I mean, it was all over the internet. I'unno. I just can't think of any reason why they'd do it, and with that guy in particular. Maybe Knoxville begged to be a part of the movie and he had pictures of Liebsman with a goat or something, I'unno.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #244
pdizzle
Stone Warrior
 
pdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: east coast, usa
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
Sounds disappointing. Even the recent 'Age Of Extinction' blu-ray had a 2-hour Making Of and another hour of sh*t. The recent 'Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes' blu-ray showed raw footage of every major motion-capture scene in the film so you could see exactly how the actor played it. On the 'Men In Black II' blu-ray, you see Knoxville covering his face from the camera guys while recording dialogue cause he was getting embarrassed ("I have to close my eyes so I don't see these bastards") so I'm not suprised he didn't let them video him lol I really wanted to see raw footage of Ploszek's Leo voice to put to rest once & for all whether his vocal-replacement was truly necessary. Anyone who's heard Woodburn's Splinter voice knows that was indeed necessary.
Petes voice was on the extras. Cant remember wich one exactly but it was the scene where they were talking about being bulletproof. His voice was ok. Honestly no need to change it, knoxville didnt do any better, but didnt do any worse either. I think they were only trying to get more big names on board at the last minute......
pdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #245
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Interesting point, but it wasn't exactly a secret either. I mean, it was all over the internet. I'unno. I just can't think of any reason why they'd do it, and with that guy in particular. Maybe Knoxville begged to be a part of the movie and he had pictures of Liebsman with a goat or something, I'unno.
Your posts always crack me up dude A lot of celeb's get cast based on the animators playing random voices of actors over their clips. Guess they thought Knoxville was an interesting fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
Petes voice was on the extras. Cant remember wich one exactly but it was the scene where they were talking about being bulletproof. His voice was ok. Honestly no need to change it, knoxville didnt do any better, but didnt do any worse either. I think they were only trying to get more big names on board at the last minute......
Awesome man, can't wait to see it.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #246
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
Petes voice was on the extras. Cant remember wich one exactly but it was the scene where they were talking about being bulletproof. His voice was ok. Honestly no need to change it, knoxville didnt do any better, but didnt do any worse either. I think they were only trying to get more big names on board at the last minute......
I hope that bit turns up online if I don't own that extra on anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
- Knoxville has a naturally cartoonish voice. Maybe Ploszek sounded too much like a regular guy.
If that would be the case, then damn them, because in terms of voice Leo has kind of always seemed to be just that average male voice. Rather non-spacific, just average, but imo I'm fine with that, it's Leo. It adds more charm to it if the 'fearless leader' doesn't sound like the toughest one.

Quote:
- Ploszek might've sounded too much like Ritchson (their speaking voices are really similar. But wouldn't that just make them sound more like brothers???).
Yeah, would totally make sense. And, to add to what I'd said above, I honestly have felt that Knoxville's tone actually competes a little too much with Raph's. A deeper, gruffer tone suits Raph as the biggest, toughest one. I find it rather unnecessary to make Leo's tone have to compete with that so they can, I assume, make him sound like a commanding officer.

I would very gladly trade "commanding officer" for a voice that has a lot more variation in tone between scenes and draws out more heart from Leo.

To put it simply, (imo) Knoxville's variation in tone was about as limited as Megan Fox's amount of facial expressions.

I agree on Ploszek, he's been really professional about it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #247
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
To put it simply, (imo) Knoxville's variation in tone was about as limited as Megan Fox's amount of facial expressions.
Haha yeah. His last two scenes had a touch of warmth to them. Problem is, Leo in this film is just a one-note action hero. The guy who yells the commands. Knoxville could probably make a unique Leo if given more to do but he only had one card to play here. Unless he's already contracted to the sequels, I have a feeling the new director will let Ploszek do the full role (it'd be just cruel at this point to screw him over a second time lol). Let's just hope Leo is more of a character in the next.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #248
MiamiTurtles3434
Foot Soldier
 
MiamiTurtles3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 111
I have seen the blu ray the last 2 tonight's and I just love it. I'm really looking forward to the sequal.
MiamiTurtles3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #249
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
I managed to watch my 3D Bluray today.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #250
MiamiTurtles3434
Foot Soldier
 
MiamiTurtles3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 111
Nice Tigerclaw what was your take on the movie? To me I feel the same way I did when I saw it in the theater. Just a fun movie directed towards the younger generation.
MiamiTurtles3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #251
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiTurtles3434 View Post
Nice Tigerclaw what was your take on the movie? To me I feel the same way I did when I saw it in the theater. Just a fun movie directed towards the younger generation.
Yeah, I enjoyed it, But usually when you see a movie a 2nd time, Its not quite like when you saw it the 1st, You already know what happens. And I watched it in 3D using my 3D converter.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #252
raph27
Mad Scientist
 
raph27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,611
Got mine in the mail from B&N. Haven't tried the movie out yet (don't know if I really want to see it again) but the Mirage art on the poster is sweet.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #253
MiamiTurtles3434
Foot Soldier
 
MiamiTurtles3434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 111
I see your point. I really looked forward to the action scenes the second and third time around. It must of been cool watching it in 3D. Maybe if I stop buying so many comics I can afford a 3D TV lol
MiamiTurtles3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #254
Shellrider13
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 93
Cant find the right size frame for the poster! Anyone have a link?
__________________
Calm down, its only toys for kids dude.
Shellrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #255
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
So glad to have a thread where we can talk about this awesome movie in peace.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 12-18-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #256
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
I did notice a few things while watching mine last night that I never caught before. For one thing, many have made comment that Raph's "speech" at the end came out of nowhere and had no build-up to explain it. I went into the movie looking at it's flaws to see just how "bad" they were- and came up with some interesting thoughts. When Leo and Raph argue on the rooftop over April's phone, Leo tells him to back off, and he does so- RELUCTANTLY. His expression shows clearly that he's pissed about it. Then he asks who put Leo in charge, and the response is "You KNOW who did". And Raph has no answer- and again looks pissed. Clearly there IS some friction, and Mikey even points it ou right after, saying "Ooh, tension. It's been a whole thirty minutes since you two had that argument." Obviously, they've ALL heard it MANY times before. Donnie even looks bored by the conversation. You get a few more random moments (Raph telling Leo to quit telling him what to do as he punches a Foot right over Leo's shoulder, the bit about going off on his own, etc) and THEN at the end we get his speech. So there's more to it than what some detractors have claimed- but most of them are small and fairly subtle.

Another point was Sach's plan. When April first talks to him at the dinner, he talks about how the fire was started by the Foot- spinning it as an attack on his company- and that he would do whatever it took to "bring them to justice" and that any attack on the city would be met with opposition from his company, and that he would do whatever he could to aid the city in the event of such an attack. This was a CLEAR allusion to his original plan with the toxin. When he meets April at his estate, he tells her that he had thought the specimens were lost and that the mutagen was the key to a miracle "cure" that could heal anything. And that it's the most precious compound on Earth. He even talks about the ancient warlord who poisoned the water in Japan and how the people rose up under a savior. Then he offers to give her whatever resources she needs to follow the story and find them. Obviously, he's already thinking ahead to how to capture them here! He later tells Shredder during their discussion that he had thought the turtles were killed, but they can have the plan "ready to resume" that same day- which he does. He even tells the Foot to get the containment cages ready at the lab, as SOON as Shredder has them, so the facility was probably just sitting around in mothballs (minor plot-hole of how they knew how big to make the cages, but....) until they reopened it. Basically, his entire plan is spelled out from the beginning- but it doesn't become obvious what he intends until he tells the turtles about the plan flat out. He left hints all through the movie- but most people never noticed them.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #257
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja
 
samxsteal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
So glad to have a thread where we can talk about this awesome movie in peace.
Seriously lol

So i work at an Acme for one of my jobs Asa meat Cutter and Deli Cook.
We Got a standee for the DVDS and i claimed it im sad though because it only has raph and Leo which is cool but i wanted all four so im going to go to another store and se if they have the other two. Can wait till i can take this home hehehe
__________________
AVATAR ^_^ ....

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #258
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by samxsteal View Post
Seriously lol

So i work at an Acme for one of my jobs Asa meat Cutter and Deli Cook.
We Got a standee for the DVDS and i claimed it im sad though because it only has raph and Leo which is cool but i wanted all four so im going to go to another store and se if they have the other two. Can wait till i can take this home hehehe
Oh man, I'd like to see that. Got a photo?
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #259
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I did notice a few things while watching mine last night that I never caught before. For one thing, many have made comment that Raph's "speech" at the end came out of nowhere and had no build-up to explain it. I went into the movie looking at it's flaws to see just how "bad" they were- and came up with some interesting thoughts. When Leo and Raph argue on the rooftop over April's phone, Leo tells him to back off, and he does so- RELUCTANTLY. His expression shows clearly that he's pissed about it. Then he asks who put Leo in charge, and the response is "You KNOW who did". And Raph has no answer- and again looks pissed. Clearly there IS some friction, and Mikey even points it ou right after, saying "Ooh, tension. It's been a whole thirty minutes since you two had that argument." Obviously, they've ALL heard it MANY times before. Donnie even looks bored by the conversation. You get a few more random moments (Raph telling Leo to quit telling him what to do as he punches a Foot right over Leo's shoulder, the bit about going off on his own, etc) and THEN at the end we get his speech. So there's more to it than what some detractors have claimed- but most of them are small and fairly subtle.
I can't speak for anyone else but I noticed all that stuff too and yet I still feel Raph's "heartfelt" speech came from nowhere.

The turtles personalities are their in their broadest terms including Leo and Raph's sibling rivalry but it's never shown to be the level at which it makes enough impact on the viewer.

The reason anyone picks up on these things is because we know these traits from other versions. It's not that it's subtle but rather they are creators don't give the characters time (and likely don't have the inclination) to develop the characters. Raph was never shown to have said or did or said anything that would require such a "heartfelt" apology thus it comes off as hollow particularly if you happen to be a viewer unfamiliar with TMNT and the character's dynamics.

While it's been done to death it might have been better had Raph gone off alone. At least it would have been more satisfying explanation to why he evaded capture than the Foot's stupidity and set up his apology better.

Quote:
Another point was Sach's plan. When April first talks to him at the dinner, he talks about how the fire was started by the Foot- spinning it as an attack on his company- and that he would do whatever it took to "bring them to justice" and that any attack on the city would be met with opposition from his company, and that he would do whatever he could to aid the city in the event of such an attack. This was a CLEAR allusion to his original plan with the toxin. When he meets April at his estate, he tells her that he had thought the specimens were lost and that the mutagen was the key to a miracle "cure" that could heal anything. And that it's the most precious compound on Earth. He even talks about the ancient warlord who poisoned the water in Japan and how the people rose up under a savior. Then he offers to give her whatever resources she needs to follow the story and find them. Obviously, he's already thinking ahead to how to capture them here! He later tells Shredder during their discussion that he had thought the turtles were killed, but they can have the plan "ready to resume" that same day- which he does. He even tells the Foot to get the containment cages ready at the lab, as SOON as Shredder has them, so the facility was probably just sitting around in mothballs (minor plot-hole of how they knew how big to make the cages, but....) until they reopened it. Basically, his entire plan is spelled out from the beginning- but it doesn't become obvious what he intends until he tells the turtles about the plan flat out. He left hints all through the movie- but most people never noticed them.
I think you're reaching with this one.

The fire was caused by April's father to stop Sach's nefarious schemes, yes? They simply blame the Foot. It isn't quite the same as causing a problem just so you can be the one people see swoop in and fix it.

It doesn't explain why Shredder seems to think the Foot are slipping into myth despite the fact that are well known terrorist group that everyone knows and is scared of. It doesn't fix the holes in Sach's plan that any idiot would not only see that Sach's tower is a source of a toxin but the convenience of Sach's company having a cure for a brand new plague.

Picking up where they left off isn't really a problem for me. Like you said they plainly state they can but while it's not a big deal I call foul they weren't able to pick up their plans quicker. What were they doing for 15 years? Did April's father wipe computer memories and destroy all hard copies of TCRI's research? Even if Mr O'Neil was the lead scientist, the only one with the full knowledge of how to make it where all the other scientists so ignorant that no one had an inkling how to make mutagen?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #260
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist
 
Ramboraph4life aka Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Raph was never shown to have said or did or said anything that would require such a "heartfelt" apology thus it comes off as hollow particularly if you happen to be a viewer unfamiliar with TMNT and the character's dynamics.

While it's been done to death it might have been better had Raph gone off alone. At least it would have been more satisfying explanation to why he evaded capture than the Foot's stupidity and set up his apology better.

Exactly. I perfectly agree with that. All those 'teeny/tiny' things are Barely an attempt of a build-up. They are in the 'blink and you miss it' category. If you are going to have the ending to a big scene be this long & heartfelt speech, then having 'tiny/blink & you miss it' stuff is a Piss Poor way to handle it.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dvd releases


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.