The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
LuckyLadybug
Thug
 
LuckyLadybug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 77
Anyone know all of the songs parodied in the OT Howie episodes?

So I rewatched the two Howie episodes from season 4, Name That Toon and Menace, Maestro, Please, and I wondered again what the songs are that Howie parodies. As an oldies buff, I recognized a couple, but most of them leave me baffled.

Why Can't I Be a Teenager With a Shell? - parody of Why Must I Be a Teenage in Love?

I recognize the melody of the song he plays when the Turtles fight with Bebop and Rocksteady in his apartment, but I don't know what it's called.

The song he plays on the pipe organ sounds like a parody of Great Balls of Fire.

And everything else I have no clue on. I especially wonder what song he's parodying for The Phantom of the Floxy.
LuckyLadybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
I don't think I've ever seen one of the episodes featuring him, all I know about him is that James Rolfe said he's possibly the worst TMNT character ever. Would you agree with that statement?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
In Menace Maestro Please when:

Howie sings: "I worked with an alien whose name is Irk!"
Raphael sings "If Shredder gets that spaceship, you'll be a big jerk!"

It's probably just me but the melody in that sounds like "Do wah ditty ditty dum ditty do" by Mandred Mann.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't think I've ever seen one of the episodes featuring him, all I know about him is that James Rolfe said he's possibly the worst TMNT character ever. Would you agree with that statement?
He's in "Name That Toon" and "Menace Maestro Please". They aired over TV 1000.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't think I've ever seen one of the episodes featuring him, all I know about him is that James Rolfe said he's possibly the worst TMNT character ever. Would you agree with that statement?
Hmm... is Howie worse than Mr. Ogg?

Yeah. Yeah, I guess he is!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
cammy85
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnedosa, MB Canada
Posts: 772
"Hot Time In The Old Town Tonight" is also parodied as a fight song in "Name That Toon" as well.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
I never had a problem with Howie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Most of the Howie songs are just terrible that it's a relief when Rocksteady takes his keyboard and says "I hate songs written in C sharp."

However, his "Heroes in a Halfshell" take is actually really catchy, and very comparable to the "Pizza Power" remix that plays in the Turtles in Time arcade intro opening! Wouldn't surprise me if it might have even been written by Chuck Lorre as an alternative theme song that was never used!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaEmR7MXxM#t=17m21s
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist
 
Cryomancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hmm... is Howie worse than Mr. Ogg?

Yeah. Yeah, I guess he is!
100% absolutely worse. Ogg at least gave us Shredder, the art collector.
__________________

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
100% absolutely worse. Ogg at least gave us Shredder, the art collector.
Quite right!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I never had a problem with Howie.
I didn't have a prob with Howie, but Mr. Ogg was terribly annoying, imo.

Last edited by ssjup81; 11-15-2016 at 11:54 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
cammy85
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnedosa, MB Canada
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Most of the Howie songs are just terrible that it's a relief when Rocksteady takes his keyboard and says "I hate songs written in C sharp."

However, his "Heroes in a Halfshell" take is actually really catchy, and very comparable to the "Pizza Power" remix that plays in the Turtles in Time arcade intro opening! Wouldn't surprise me if it might have even been written by Chuck Lorre as an alternative theme song that was never used!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaEmR7MXxM#t=17m21s
My thoughts exactly!!! Well, once the game came out anyway. I didn't find out about the Turtles in Time arcade until MAME.

Ogg.. yeah, I can't stand that episode even though Pee-wee Herman was a childhood favorite as well. Just cringeworthy on so many levels.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
A Teenager in Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLadybug View Post
Why Can't I Be a Teenager With a Shell? - parody of Why Must I Be a Teenage in Love?

I recognize the melody of the song he plays when the Turtles fight with Bebop and Rocksteady in his apartment, but I don't know what it's called.
It's called "A Teenager in Love"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Teenager_in_Love
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
LuckyLadybug
Thug
 
LuckyLadybug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 77
Thanks for the help with the songs, people!

I sort of wondered if this topic might wander off into complaints about Howie if I posted it, but I took the chance anyway. Regarding Howie vs. Mr. Ogg: Howie could never be anywhere near the aggravation levels of Ogg. He's not even close to the aggravation levels of the Polarisoids. Video-taping your vacations by literally capturing them, and being fully aware you're doing it? **headdesk.** (At least the original Polarisoid was better in the sequel, but then we were introduced to his two brats. Yikes!)
LuckyLadybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
TheJ-manTurtleMan
Stone Warrior
 
TheJ-manTurtleMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 646
I re-watched these episodes after seeing this thread. Now I've been singing "Heroes in a half-shell, they ain't no enchilada" In my head over and over, and over, and over...
__________________
Hey Man! It's The J-Man!

"I love a little hot sauce on my pizza! I love a little hot sauce yes I dooo!"
TheJ-manTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
cammy85
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnedosa, MB Canada
Posts: 772
IKR?? That episode was the last in the block before my station went back to the first episode so I was left with a feeling of "Awesome finale!" and "No wonder they waited to air these!!"
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #17
LuckyLadybug
Thug
 
LuckyLadybug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ-manTurtleMan View Post
I re-watched these episodes after seeing this thread. Now I've been singing "Heroes in a half-shell, they ain't no enchilada" In my head over and over, and over, and over...
LOL! I rather like that a thread I started inspired a re-watch of something! I re-watched them again too, still puzzling over the unidentified songs. Someday I'll probably stumble on some tunes and suddenly realize, "Hey! These are the ones they used!"
__________________
https://sites.google.com/site/exittheflytmnt1987/ My TMNT 1987 verse.
LuckyLadybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #18
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
I never had a problem with Howie. Whoever came up and voiced the character did a terrific job. Having said that what I found annoying at times was he would use the worst moments to launch into a song. I think that was supposed to be annoying intentionally, the songs and singing voice was great though.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
LuckyLadybug
Thug
 
LuckyLadybug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 77
LOL. Yeah, I think that was part of the point and the humor, that he picked the worst possible moments to make up a song. Especially the fighting song. ("Ninja Turtles, fighting through my song!" LOL.)
__________________
https://sites.google.com/site/exittheflytmnt1987/ My TMNT 1987 verse.
LuckyLadybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
I have no problems with him.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.