The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #41
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
Some could say they are multiracial but I doubt it though. Virtually all of the Kraang look like with the exception of Subprime and Prime.
That is a tricky part (and I kind of wish they reused the 80s Krang model for more background Kraang after the fact), but there are worse explanations, esp. since "Trans-Dimensional Turtles" does state that '80s Krang (or a counterpart of '80s Krang) is a Nick Utrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
They say he was banished from 3D Dimension X, and went to 2D Earth but that couldn't be. He said 2D dimension x was his home dimension and 3D and 2D dimension X have their own versions of Tragg and Granitor.
Who's to say that the 80s Dimension X and Nick Dimension X aren't different parts of the same universe. There could be two different versions of Tragg and Granitor, just like many of us in real life share the same names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
Him being disembodied is more interesting and would explain why he was so upset from losing his body, even so much as he didn't want his Rock Soldiers to look at him the way he is. If he was always a brain like alien, why would Tragg be so surprised of Krang's appearance?
I do agree that there some inconsistencies, but that is part and parcel with the 80s show, and the show in question already retconned the "Krang is a disembodied brain" idea. (Also, the brain explanation never made much sense; Krang's "brain" and eyes, a mouth, arm appendages, and could survive outside a body. If he were a real brain, he wouldn't have those things.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
Plus Krang was out of character. They made him into a joke instead of being a fearsome warlord, which he was in 2D Dimension X...
Honestly, he seemed pretty well in character, from what I've seen of the '80s show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
...and the fact he was willing to blow up realities just to get rid of the Turtles. He was trying to make amends but for him to go out of his way to do something so extreme is out of character. He never regarded the Turtles as major enemies, just beings that annoyed him. This is something the Shredder would do, but even that would be stretching it. The only Shredder I know that would do that is Chrell, as he actually attempted to do that.
Hmm.
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #42
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Don't like the retcon since it just means the nick tmnt world was somehow connected to the 80s show all along. Like... what? All this time they've been dealing with a character from a show that didn't exist til years later? They've been fighting a nick character allllll along.

I do find the alien brain thing weird. How would he function inside the head of some giant creature? Does krang himself have a brain? How can he literally be a brain and have a brain at the same time. It's weird to think about it because I do assume Utroms themselves do have their own brains. As a kid the talking alien brain sounds awesome but as an adult his mere existence raises more questions than Val Kilmer can answer. I mean does he eat? Does he sleep? Does he have any internal organs? How does krang function?
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Don't like the retcon since it just means the nick tmnt world was somehow connected to the 80s show all along. Like... what? All this time they've been dealing with a character from a show that didn't exist til years later? They've been fighting a nick character allllll along. n?
What's so strange about that? Krang himself isn't a Nick character, its just that he was an Utrom from the Nick universe.

Krang never did name his species in the original cartoon either.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #44
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Krang himself isn't a Nick character, its just that he was an Utrom from the Nick universe.
Hence he was a Nick character all along.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Hence he was a Nick character all along.
But he's not a Nick character, his backstory just comes from a different universe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #46
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
But he's not a Nick character, his backstory just comes from a different universe.
Which is the Nick universe... so he's a Nick character. How else does he have a Nick character as a cousin? That's why the retcon kinda bothers me. At least Turtles Forever didn't say that Ch'Rell was Krang's long lost brother lost many years ago, or that 2K3 Karai was somehow related to Lotus or other such nonsense.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Which is the Nick universe... so he's a Nick character. How else does he have a Nick character as a cousin? That's why the retcon kinda bothers me. At least Turtles Forever didn't say that Ch'Rell was Krang's long lost brother lost many years ago, or that 2K3 Karai was somehow related to Lotus or other such nonsense.
You're taking the word "cousin" too literally. Tons of times the word "cousin" is meant to mean something similar, not relation.

I've seen cousin used on other shows where they don't actually mean they're related, just that they're "of the same kind." Being both Utroms makes that obvious.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:46 AM   #48
Dust
Foot Soldier
 
Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Rainy England
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Which is the Nick universe... so he's a Nick character. How else does he have a Nick character as a cousin? That's why the retcon kinda bothers me. At least Turtles Forever didn't say that Ch'Rell was Krang's long lost brother lost many years ago, or that 2K3 Karai was somehow related to Lotus or other such nonsense.
He was created for the OT, he's not a Nick character. That's like saying Venom is a Guardians of the Galaxy character and not a Spider-Man character because his origin was revealed there.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #49
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior
 
Yabuturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 602
When I think about it, Kraang being an utrom isn't so bad. I like the disembodied brain story but it is odd when you think about it. If he was left with nothing but his brain, why does he have a mouth, tentacles and eyes. He should literally be just a brain, unless that's his head or his brain combined with his face somehow. But it would not explain the tentacles.

I think it would have made a better story if Krang was actually behind the Kraang. I thought they were modified clones of himself. Krang did clone himself so I thought maybe he perfected it and made a whole race based in him and he was behind everything and even controlled Kraang Prime, and ruled behind the shadows and they are all named after him, hence why they are called kraang

Or the other story I thought of, which I think is even better. I thought Krang somehow freed himself from Kraang Prime's control or was somehow immune to it. Even when Krang was working with the other Kraang he did not talk like them and still had some individuality. Plus he looked different so I thought maybe he was immune to Kraang Prime's control. And he was banished, not because he was incompetent but because he was dangerous and threatened to make his own empire and rule over the kraang and was then banished to another dimension x. Where he carved out his own empire and even made his own version of traag and granitor. I think that would have made a more interesting story and would somewhat tie unto the old cartoon. Krang was banished from dimension x to earth but in the new series it was because he was incompetent, but he repeatedly said he ruled dimension x, unless he was lying but other characters in dimension x feared him.

When you think about it, krang wasn't really a joke in the old cartoon. He did some silly stuff but he was actually very competent and his plans would almost always work if it wasn't for bebop and rocksteady's incompetence or Shredder's obssession with revenge. He was minutes always from blasting new York and having earth enter dimension x and shredder screwed up so I don't know why people think krang was a joke when he was actually very competent in the old cartoon.

But since there were hints of other members of his race in the old cartoon, the fact that his appearance was based on the Utrom and pretty much every other incarnation shows him being an utrom, he may as well be an utrom. And I am fine with that, now that I think about it. Although it would be nice to know what his original body was like, whether he had an organic or robotic body, and I think a robotic body is more likely, it would have been nice to know what it looked like.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #50
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You're taking the word "cousin" too literally. Tons of times the word "cousin" is meant to mean something similar, not relation.

I've seen cousin used on other shows where they don't actually mean they're related, just that they're "of the same kind." Being both Utroms makes that obvious.
You don't know in what context Sub Prime is using the word cousin so don't assume. It seemed pretty literal to me. Even without the relation, it doesn't change the fact that Krang was one of them and Sub Prime banished him to the OT dimension. He's a Nick character now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
He was created for the OT, he's not a Nick character. That's like saying Venom is a Guardians of the Galaxy character and not a Spider-Man character because his origin was revealed there.
That's not the same thing since they're both Marvel. A better example would be saying Venom was somehow related to Darkseid because, yes, that would make him a DC character.

Also do you know what retcon means? Yes, he was originally meant to be an OT character and always has been... UNTIL this new show threw in this little tidbit of info. That's what retcons do, change what we once thought was established lore.

Jason Todd is no longer dead. Bucky is no longer dead. Stephanie was never ever Robin or Batgirl. Tim was never ever Robin but Red Robin from the start. And apparently Cyborg was always a member of the JL from the get go. Krang was a Nick character Kraang all along.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
No Coola, you don't see what he meant. He meant Krang is still a original cartoon character because that's what he was created for.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
No Coola, you don't see what he meant. He meant Krang is still a original cartoon character because that's what he was created for.
UNTIL the retcon....
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
The retcon doesn't magically not make Krang a Fred Wolf character when he was created in 1987, nearly 25 years before the Nick cartoon began.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #54
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The retcon doesn't magically not make Krang a Fred Wolf character when he was created in 1987, nearly 25 years before the Nick cartoon began.
..... that's exactly what retcons do... people could be dead or events could have taken place a certain way for years until someone decides to say 'Oh that was all a dream' or 'that's how you THINK that happened' erasing and often contradicting established continuity.

The Goblin killed by his own glider was canon for years until they decided to say 'oh, didn't you know? He has regenerative powers all along and was really alive and in hiding all this time'.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #55
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,225
Retcon = Retroactive continuity.

You guys are being wilfully ignorant of what Coola is trying to say.

That being said, with "Turtle Prime" being the root of it all, isn't everyone just a Mirage character?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #56
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
And once again you have proven your inability to understand humor... Hell, You've even missed the keyword "pretend".
Sorry it's just I know you seem to get 'pretend' mixed up with the word 'fact'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
(I'm speaking generally here, not justin regards to the Fred Wolf cartoon or TDT) is probably for the best,
Not to sound like a newbie but who this 'Justin' you're referring to?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #57
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Sorry it's just I know you seem to get 'pretend' mixed up with the word 'fact'.
This coming from the guy who tried to claim the Micros shouldn't count...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #58
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
This coming from the guy who tried to claim the Micros shouldn't count...
I talked about Micros when?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #59
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I talked about Micros when?
I don't have the time or patience to search through the wall of delusional nonsense that is your post list, so excuse me if I don't have the post ready.

Basically (from what I remember) you tried to claim David Wise was indeed responsible the Turtles having individual personalities, I pointed out that the micros had already established the individual personalities, that's when you went full moron and tried to claim the micros didn't count because they weren't part of the main series. I think that was the moment I realised you are a resident of La La Land.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #60
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm not sure I understand this correctly, the OT universe is entirely separate from Nick's. Only Krang is said to originate from their universe.
Essentially, I took it to mean that the '80s and Nick cartoons are different parallel universes in the same multiverse. Dimension X, as seen in both, was a third parallel universe that had crossovers into both.
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
krang, retcon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.