The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Don't worry Jeph, TMNT wouldn't have been your only "shortcoming" .
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Are you for serious right now?
Hey, it's basic human behavior. You should see my family at Thanksgiving dinner. Everybody's a neurotic mess with 0 chill.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
...OK is this the weekly day of "let's air dirty laundry on the forums"?
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #24
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I think my addictive personality causes me more grief than whatever it is I happen to be fixated on at any given time. Be it TMNT, or anything else.

My girlfriend will often joke that she's the fifth most important person in my life, after the turtles. To which I remind her that she forgot Master Splinter and she's 6th
What about April o neal
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I get that. I could shift gears, it's two months TMNT, then shift gears again, delve two months into DC Comics, shift again, and focus on Highlander. It's not our fault, though, really.

It's a bit like a year ago, my girl reached up to get a box out of the closet and... oops, a book falls on her head. I start laughing, and she's crying. Is it my fault that I'm laughing? I don't know, I don't think so.
Yes, I go through phases like that as well. 2-3 months of anime/manga mostly, then 2-3 months of playing games only, etc.

...I don't get that second paragraph about your gf tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Relationships are hell. You're better off.
Is it safe for me to say "sorry to hear about that"?
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
It's all about context. Was she crying because of some hormonal imbalance brought on by PMS, or maybe she had a headache and the book aggravated the pain more? Maybe right after the book fell she started running a ridiculous scenario in her mind, like "What if that happened to the baby?" Either way, it probably was a humorous moment but yea it's very easy to wind up in the doghouse if you make too much light of your significant other's feelings.

And with that I realize, we've gone waaay off topic here.
Please, enlighten us, oh wise voice of experience with the opposite sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Are you for serious right now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Don't worry Jeph, TMNT wouldn't have been your only "shortcoming" .
Are you mocking his height? Don't make fun of dwarves, Snake, or they won't share the riches of Erebor with you.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #27
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
...OK is this the weekly day of "let's air dirty laundry on the forums"?
Wasn't really my intention when I started this thread, but given the fact that it's just after the holidays I'm willing to bet people are still reeling from some personal real life interactions that might have been very pleasant. Not everybody is good at holding in their problems and in most cases people tend to take their anger with one person out on somebody else.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
To be fair, as anecdotal as this is, it seems to me that lots of chicks "love" the Turtles. Even if casually. I mean I'm not saying that going to a club with a FW t shirt on will get you p*ssy automatically, but TMNT seems like one of those franchises that women don't find too male centric, even though there's not exactly many female characters in it. Maybe it's the lack of sexual objectification of women and such in it as compared to other franchises.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #29
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
To be fair, as anecdotal as this is, it seems to me that lots of chicks "love" the Turtles. Even if casually. I mean I'm not saying that going to a club with a FW t shirt on will get you p*ssy automatically, but TMNT seems like one of those franchises that women don't find too male centric, even though there's not exactly many female characters in it. Maybe it's the lack of sexual objectification of women and such in it as compared to other franchises.
Yea, but then what's the deal with some of the weirdo fans on Deviant Art who go around sexually objectifying the Turtles themselves?
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #30
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
One way to not get judged by your love of something is to in turn not judge others for their love of something.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
One way to not get judged by your love of something is to in turn not judge others for their love of something.
Some stuff out there I just can't see the appeal of, though. But no, I wouldn't call someone who likes that stuff "stupid" or anything.

Guess we're all judgemental to some degree.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
To be fair, as anecdotal as this is, it seems to me that lots of chicks "love" the Turtles. Even if casually. I mean I'm not saying that going to a club with a FW t shirt on will get you p*ssy automatically, but TMNT seems like one of those franchises that women don't find too male centric, even though there's not exactly many female characters in it. Maybe it's the lack of sexual objectification of women and such in it as compared to other franchises.
I think it also helps that the Turtles aren't quite human. While they may be guys, they're still kind of outside the typical 'boys club' vibe that a show with a largely male cast may inevitably have. Not to mention a lovable, and at times relatable (no matter a viewer's own gender), group of brothers aren't hard to love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
If I had a girlfriend I'd probably put the TMNT on the back-burner indefinitely!!!
Eh, why though. A person shouldn't stop enjoying what they're into or lose who they are for someone else. I wouldn't want a guy doing that, if I became his sole focus it would not take long to start feeling clingy and needing some space...

And as for the reverse - love me, love tolerate my Turtles.


Regarding the actual thread topic... There's that other old thread from a while back that I'd posted about my own issues long ago. I haven't really had much issue these days though after coming back to it and my mom got over her prejudice she had against it when I was in my teens. I think that they've been around as long as they have now, adults fans being plenty, and just the fact that "geek" fan stuff is kind of 'in' these days, I think it does help. Adulthood no longer has to be boring and void of this fun stuff. And anyone who can't deal needs to get with the times.

Really I otherwise don't talk about it much. I only have one coworker who knows I'm into them, but then it turned out he's got his own interest in superhero stuff and likes the Turtles well enough, so that's cool.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
One way to not get judged by your love of something is to in turn not judge others for their love of something.
Then why do we allow people on here to bash each other for liking certain versions of the Ninja Turtles? Hell, even the Michael Bay films, as crazy as they were, still gave people some enjoyment, yet "certain haters" (not naming names) in the movie section constantly go about picking on the ones who actually enjoy those movies.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Yeah, Jeph, ofc you should give your gf attention but your life shouldnt' just revovle around her. Just like you wouldn't like if all she did was hang out with you all the tiem and nothing else. Think abotu that for asecond.

Past a certain age, people don't care much about peoples' tastes in tv, games, etc, I think. This isn't HS anymore where many girls will consider you childish for liking DBZ and many guys will consider you an uncool nerd for still watching cartoons.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #35
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Women and their PMS, and free-roaming uterus causing mood swings and not playing correctly with their toys, amirite?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #36
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Then why do we allow people on here to bash each other for liking certain versions of the Ninja Turtles? Hell, even the Michael Bay films, as crazy as they were, still gave people some enjoyment, yet "certain haters" (not naming names) in the movie section constantly go about picking on the ones who actually enjoy those movies.
Because sometimes people are jerks, and we can't control the behavior of jerks.
We can, however, control our own behavior.

So when you make a thread bemoaning how people made you feel like a weirdo because you like to play with dolls one way, the wrong thing to do is use that thread to bemoan how weird someone else is for how they play with their own dolls.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Women and their PMS, and free-roaming uterus causing mood swings and not playing correctly with their toys, amirite?
If a woman finds my a ocuple of my classmates hot but not me then she's a ho. A HOE!
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #38
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
A person shouldn't stop enjoying what they're into or lose who they are for someone else. I wouldn't want a guy doing that, if I became his sole focus it would not take long to start feeling clingy and needing some space...

And as for the reverse - love me, tolerate my Turtles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, Jeph, ofc you should give your gf attention but your life shouldnt' just revovle around her. Just like you wouldn't like if all she did was hang out with you all the tiem and nothing else. Think abotu that for asecond.

Past a certain age, people don't care much about peoples' tastes in tv, games, etc, I think. This isn't HS anymore where many girls will consider you childish for liking DBZ and many guys will consider you an uncool nerd for still watching cartoons.
Good points indeed, though I guess it's just my way of saying I'd like to make real life relationships (not just with significant others) more of a priority.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #39
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, Jeph, ofc you should give your gf attention but your life shouldnt' just revovle around her. Just like you wouldn't like if all she did was hang out with you all the tiem and nothing else. Think abotu that for asecond.

Past a certain age, people don't care much about peoples' tastes in tv, games, etc, I think. This isn't HS anymore where many girls will consider you childish for liking DBZ and many guys will consider you an uncool nerd for still watching cartoons.
I recall watching cartoons in secret from the age of circa 12 and later.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
It has long given me a small laugh when I've occasionally seen kids around middle school/junior high school age asking online if it's okay to still like cartoons. That age group gets so concerned with what is or isn't a "grown up" thing to be interested in, with cartoons being a big one.

And then you get older and realize it's harmless to enjoy these things and that there would be no cartoons if there were no adults who like them and choose to have a career making them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.