Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-11-2021, 05:18 AM   #101
puirnaut
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
And you know this from experience?
Right. I wrote it from personal experience. But I do not say that other couples can not be otherwise.
puirnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #102
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm betting there's a story behind that story. Especially given that it's a Religious Studies teacher saying it.
The guy was a real weirdo to be honest, he honestly believed aikido was a genuine martial art and got into a pointless argument about how creating an AI was strictly impossible.

Another thing I remember is that he tried to shame the class by making us reveal we little we knew about the world outside of Europe (and most of the Americas and Asia but mostly Europe)
by getting us to name African languages that weren't Arabic, English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish or Portuguese. Of course, if you dig into it a little you'd figure out why that question is unfair. Arabic is the first language in most of Northern Africa and almost any sub-saharan nation has dozens of minor languages but almost no majority indigenous language, making a lingua franca like English or French necessary.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #103
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The guy was a real weirdo to be honest, he honestly believed aikido was a genuine martial art and got into a pointless argument about how creating an AI was strictly impossible.

Another thing I remember is that he tried to shame the class by making us reveal we little we knew about the world outside of Europe (and most of the Americas and Asia but mostly Europe)
by getting us to name African languages that weren't Arabic, English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Spanish or Portuguese. Of course, if you dig into it a little you'd figure out why that question is unfair. Arabic is the first language in most of Northern Africa and almost any sub-saharan nation has dozens of minor languages but almost no majority indigenous language, making a lingua franca like English or French necessary.
So go south. There's Swahili, Xhosa and Afrikaans, just for starters.

Though I have to admit I've never heard about that Europeans-being-ignorant-about-the-rest-of-the-world thing before. Americans? Sure. But not us. Your teacher must've been one big damn weirdo.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 06-11-2021 at 11:50 AM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #104
Leo656
The Franchise

Sounds like... BUT he managed to get at least ONE thing right.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #105
ChosenOne
Banned

I feel almost normal in that the weirdest I got was an English Lit teacher in college who would bring in a huge tray with cups, spoons, a steaming teapot and all sorts of paraphernalia for making tea into the room during exams and not-so-quietly went about pouring herself a cup while we all stared blankly at her.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #106
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by puirnaut View Post
I hope that never happens. Raph/Mona fans will never forgive Sophie for this.
Ooooooh right. You're that guy. Still holding out hope for that Raph/Mona ship in this comic despite the two of them not actually interacting with one another, huh?
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #107
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
Ooooooh right. You're that guy. Still holding out hope for that Raph/Mona ship in this comic despite the two of them not actually interacting with one another, huh?
Yeah, Also Raph is with Alopex, So I'm on the Donnie/Mona train.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #108
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Just discovered this thanks to Sophe Campbell responding to a fan, The female mutant bat's name is Millicent

Old 06-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #109
Leo656
The Franchise

As a kid I shipped Raph and Mona, too - mostly since that was the only option until Ninjara hit the Archie comics - but if we take ALL the various TMNT canons into account, I think we can safely say by this point that Raphael prefers Furry chicks to Scaly ones.

The Raph/Mona "ship" has long since sailed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #110
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
As a kid I shipped Raph and Mona, too - mostly since that was the only option until Ninjara hit the Archie comics - but if we take ALL the various TMNT canons into account, I think we can safely say by this point that Raphael prefers Furry chicks to Scaly ones.

The Raph/Mona "ship" has long since sailed.
More like Raph is into the vulpine types.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #111
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Well while Raph being a conduit for mutant romance in every series he's in is a well established trope at this point, I can at least appreciate in this iteration that the romance with Alopex was something built up over the course of the comic. But this Mutant Town arc is just filled to the ****ing brim with ships, side character relationships, and character romance around every corner, many of which don't really have any buildup at all. It's getting a little obnoxious.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:50 PM   #112
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

-Usually the art is something I don't have any opinion of. There needed to be sound effects or lyrics or some indication of the music. Regarding April, did she just come from the gym? She is dressed like it. Also, what happened to her nose? She looks like a human version of the pig rocker! Not to mention Sally Pride, what happened to her hair? It looks aweful!

-This is like a fan comic for Sophie Campbell by Sophie Campbell. The meta references of Jennika telling Koya it was not for nothing. Also, the Jenny in The Holograms reference to what Campbell wrote previously.

-It turns out the last several issues of a Mutant Town resident wronging a specific turtle then joining a metal band was built up to a hardly rehearsed supposed well played song sample. Koya is given permission to join the band and return as she wishes. That didn't make sense for Koya to want to.

-The characters act like this storyarc has huge ramifications, Jennika needs to create a Heavy Metal Band so she won't murder Karai for revenge? Ban Bebop and Rocksteady from Mutant Town if this impromptu Heavy Metal Band can do better than the two henchmutants? Why am I supposed to care? Lita travels from her Future for this low scale event?

-I admit I have conservative values, but prefer to not* involve in Republican or Democrat ideals as an Independent. I don't want to read about wokeness and politics. I read comics to ignore it yet its taken over the comic I used to enjoy the most. All the cool dangling plots left and not touched on is a major problem for me and the promise of the annual covering them is all I have left.

-Razhar and Tokka are overactive destructive mutants and they are written off just like that to keep them sympathetic. They could have been handled better. So a truce with the Foot is made that should have already been set with #100's event. If anything I would like to see how exactly Karai established her authority with Splinter gone and see Shredder stepping aside.

-I have an unbroken run and have every IDW issue aside from the two Infestation and X-Files related issue. I have urged people to hang in there, but I have completely lost faith in IDW. Jennika initiating a kiss with the pig mutant was the kiss of death of my pulling this title. I am not a close minded unaccepting person, but it does nothing for the plot nor seem like a direction Jennika would take, but only exist because of the writer's personal journey. I view gays and the upcoming protest as political issues whether people agree with me that they are or not does not matter. This title is just not something I can support anymore and after months of consideration this is my last issue after having pulled since issue one.

-Yes, I was underwhelmed by the wraps ups in City At War and its on Tom for his slow burn pacing catching up with him, but the reason it went from it being one of my favorite bits of pop culture and TMNT franchise to realizing it is enabled to be a liberal fan fic that makes me feel uncomfortable. It is all on Campbell! I cannot look at IDW the same again until Campbell is removed. I look forward to picking up the plots that Campbell ignored in the upcoming annual, but that is it. I am done! I look forward to the annual but after that I don't know when I will return to the title.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #113
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
-I admit I have conservative values, but prefer to not* involve in Republican or Democrat ideals as an Independent. I don't want to read about wokeness and politics. I read comics to ignore it yet its taken over the comic I used to enjoy the most. All the cool dangling plots left and not touched on is a major problem for me and the promise of the annual covering them is all I have left.

-I have an unbroken run and have every IDW issue aside from the two Infestation and X-Files related issue. I have urged people to hang in there, but I have completely lost faith in IDW. Jennika initiating a kiss with the pig mutant was the kiss of death of my pulling this title. I am not a close minded unaccepting person, but it does nothing for the plot nor seem like a direction Jennika would take, but only exist because of the writer's personal journey. I view gays and the upcoming protest as political issues whether people agree with me that they are or not does not matter. This title is just not something I can support anymore and after months of consideration this is my last issue after having pulled since issue one.

-Yes, I was underwhelmed by the wraps ups in City At War and its on Tom for his slow burn pacing catching up with him, but the reason it went from it being one of my favorite bits of pop culture and TMNT franchise to realizing it is enabled to be a liberal fan fic that makes me feel uncomfortable. It is all on Campbell! I cannot look at IDW the same again until Campbell is removed. I look forward to picking up the plots that Campbell ignored in the upcoming annual, but that is it. I am done! I look forward to the annual but after that I don't know when I will return to the title.
Wow. 'Wokeness'. 'Gays ... as political issues'. Just ... wow.
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #114
CyberCubed
Overlord

MikeandRaph87 is also a High School teacher in real life, he has probably had gay students over the years (or kids who would eventually identify as gay after they went to college or got older), so I cannot comprehend how he views being gay as, "political." Even odder he's a history teacher, so he teaches all about oppression over the years of human history.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #115
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
MikeandRaph87 is also a High School teacher in real life, he has probably had gay students over the years (or kids who would eventually identify as gay after they went to college or got older), so I cannot comprehend how he views being gay as, "political." Even odder he's a history teacher, so he teaches all about oppression over the years of human history.
Perhaps so (don’t know him well enough, personally, so can’t comment there). Add to MikeandRaph’s side of this argument: I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I’m not straight, and yet even I don’t understand why people are making a huge deal about non-straight sexual orientation, especially those in favor of them: the only people I heard about being openly straight to the same extent in the present (which is a very small number) were retaliating or were in some other way at unrest.

As for the original subject that prompted this argument, my philosophy here is that timing is everything. If this was published at a time when there wasn’t so much political unrest overall (aka not now), I believe more people wouldn’t care one way or the other, as it should be over that aspect.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #116
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
So go south. There's Swahili, Xhosa and Afrikaans, just for starters.

Though I have to admit I've never heard about that Europeans-being-ignorant-about-the-rest-of-the-world thing before. Americans? Sure. But not us. Your teacher must've been one big damn weirdo.
Of course we could indeed name a few languages, I myself did point out Swahili, and asking an entire class did raise the odds. It's just that the question was so obviously just designed to shame us, it was just insulting. Cut out all the major lingua franca and the single most spoken language in Africa, then of course it will be harder.

It's kind of like asking "Name South American languages that aren't Spanish or Portuguese", it can be done it's just that Spanish and Portuguese are so wide-spread in that part of the world that it is easy to forget.

Likewise, while the people of Nigeria probably don't speak English with friends and family but because there are actually 521 languages in Nigeria, the official language of the nation is English. This means English is used in Nigerian media, education, business and national politics. Which means Swedish high schoolers, limited by age and the lack of need to know about Nigerian languages in depth, would just simplify things and think of Nigeria as an English speaking nation.

Of course there are a lot of indigenous languages in Africa, it might just not be fair to ask teenagers about some foreign language they don't have much use for, especially when native speakers of those languages might have a somewhat limited use for them in their own countries.

Edit: Again, we could answer the question, we weren't that ignorant nor am I saying ignorance of African languages is a guarantee amongst teenagers. It's just that it seemed like he knew about these factors that could easily mean teenagers would have a hard time answering it, just came across as intentionally manipulative.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 06-11-2021 at 06:07 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #117
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I see anti-vaxers and ignoring the election results as political issues just as I see the protest and riots and injecting gay moments as political. I prefer to ignore the current political woke politics and pro-Trumpians alike and enjoy mutant turtles save New York from the Foot Clan instead.

Quote:
Of course we could indeed name a few languages, I myself did point out Swahili, and asking an entire class did raise the odds. It's just that the question was so obviously just designed to shame us, it was just insulting. Cut out all the major lingua franca and the single most spoken language in Africa, then of course it will be harder.

It's kind of like asking "Name South American languages that aren't Spanish or Portuguese", it can be done it's just that Spanish and Portuguese are so wide-spread in that part of the world that it is easy to forget.

Likewise, while the people of Nigeria probably don't speak English with friends and family but because there are actually 521 languages in Nigeria, the official language of the nation is English. This means English is used in Nigerian media, education, business and national politics. Which means Swedish high schoolers, limited by age and the lack of need to know about Nigerian languages in depth, would just simplify things and think of Nigeria as an English speaking nation.

Of course there are a lot of indigenous languages in Africa, it might just not be fair to ask teenagers about some foreign language they don't have much use for, especially when native speakers of those languages might have a somewhat limited use for them in their own countries.

Edit: Again, we could answer the question, we weren't that ignorant nor am I saying ignorance of African languages is a guarantee amongst teenagers. It's just that it seemed like he knew about these factors that could easily mean teenagers would have a hard time answering it, just came across as intentionally manipulative.
Interestingly, I watched this video just yesterday. Jump to 8:03.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #118
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I feel you and completely agree with you. And I used to gush about Campbell's work before she took over as writer and started blatantly pushing an agenda. The only difference is that I won't give up on the comic. I firmly believe TMNT has a life after Campbell. One of two things can happen: either she is replaced (hopefully soon) and the comic resumes its former quality, or this will serve as a cautionary tale for whoever picks up the franchise in the future. Campbell herself won't learn anything from the experience because it's clear she still sees herself as being in the right, but it's a win-win for us fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
Wow. 'Wokeness'. 'Gays ... as political issues'. Just ... wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I can totally see where MikeandRaph87 is coming from, and how easily his words can be twisted into something bigoted when they're not. There's a clear agenda being pushed in all corners of society these days, most insidiously of all in entertainment because it's what so many young people consume and has a history of shaping the way they think. The problem isn't one denouncing those who use sexuality as a leverage for their own ends, the problem is those who use sexuality as a leverage for their own ends, most commonly nowadays to attract confused youths into being activists for causes they don't fully understand and will eventually, inevitably, grow out of. The real world comes at you fast. In the meantime, what does all this have to do with TMNT? Absolutely nothing. Just focus on telling a good, engaging story already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
As for the original subject that prompted this argument, my philosophy here is that timing is everything. If this was published at a time when there wasn’t so much political unrest overall (aka not now), I believe more people wouldn’t care one way or the other, as it should be over that aspect.
Exactly. Normally, people wouldn't and shouldn't care. Why should we care what person A or B has between their legs, or used to have between their legs, or likes their partners to have between their own legs? Who... Cares... It's as ridiculous as coming up with a social divide between people who prefer chocolate to caramel. Both sides need a schooling in piping the hell down because there's a third side who's just sick and tired of all the whining going back and forth both ways and wants to enjoy their dessert in peace.

Quote:
Definitely a dick move. He must've been trying to make himself feel on top of the world by making you guys look bad.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #119
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I feel you and completely agree with you. And I used to gush about Campbell's work before she took over as writer and started blatantly pushing an agenda.
I don't think she's been doing anything that hasn't been being encouraged by upstairs. And doesn't seem very out of line with previous works of hers, which I all enjoyed. I think the valid complaint is that it's only... one sort of thing. Apparently. There isn't -- evidently -- a lot of the changing of gears from different genres that maybe people are used to in other works.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-11-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #120
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Quote:
There's a clear agenda being pushed in all corners of society these days, most insidiously of all in entertainment because it's what so many young people consume and has a history of shaping the way they think.
And the agenda is ... ?

Quote:
The problem isn't one denouncing those who use sexuality as a leverage for their own ends, the problem is those who use sexuality as a leverage for their own ends, most commonly nowadays to attract confused youths into being activists for causes they don't fully understand and will eventually, inevitably, grow out of.
Huh? Care to elucidate?
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote