The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #4461
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I'm a little conflicted, myself.

I'll go ahead and say that I'm very happy they listened to the majority and are gonna try to give us a Rat King that's closer to the vintage toy. However, now that I've seen handsome Rat King... I kinda still want him? Part of me is hoping one or two alternate heads are still the handsome Rat King, with the main head still being the gross-out vintage head.

Buuuut, I'm fully aware that I'm, again, in the minority, so I'm bracing myself for the likelihood of handsome Rat King just being completely scrapped totally.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:03 PM   #4462
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Now comes the waves and waves of people screaming "But I actually wanted the first Rat King they showed off"
who also conveniently never preordered and actually never would have
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:35 PM   #4463
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Now comes the waves and waves of people screaming "But I actually wanted the first Rat King they showed off"
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
who also conveniently never preordered and actually never would have
I'm not sure if these are directed at me or not, but now I'm getting a little paranoid...

But just in case, I've actually been mentioning liking the handsome Rat King ever since the images were just leaks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
I dunno... it's definitely nothing like the vintage figure, but I'm kinda digging the handsome Rat King.
And I did preorder him, as seen in the attached image.

I'm just saying all this, in case if those remarks were about me, specifically. ^^;;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ratking.jpg (10.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:07 PM   #4464
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'm not sure if these are directed at me or not, but now I'm getting a little paranoid...

But just in case, I've actually been mentioning liking the handsome Rat King ever since the images were just leaks:

And I did preorder him, as seen in the attached image.

I'm just saying all this, in case if those remarks were about me, specifically. ^^;;
we like you; you’re in the clear
Old 03-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #4465
TMNTdude87
Thug

If Playmates wanted to get good use out of their property and the vintage stylings of their toys then they should have come out with their own nostalgia line when Mattel announced their Origins line for Masters of the Universe or Hasbro with their new GI Joe Classified, or their new Studio Series and War For Cybertron and Legacy series doing modern updates of classic toys, and do modern updates of their own classic brand within the same scale or close to the original toys. The fact they didn't, and still will not for whatever reason shouldn't put Super7 at fault because of their own ineptitude.

Last edited by TMNTdude87; 03-27-2023 at 08:30 PM.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #4466
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
we like you; you’re in the clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTdude87 View Post
If Playmates wanted to get good use out of their property and the vintage stylings of their toys then they should have come out with their own nostalgia line when Mattel announced their Origins line for Masters of the Universe or Hasbro with their new GI Joe Classified, or their new Studio Series and War For Cybertron and Legacy series doing modern updates of classic toys, and do modern updates of their own classic brand within the same scale or close to the original toys. The fact they didn't, and still will not for whatever reason shouldn't put Super7 at fault because of their own ineptitude.
I'm reminded of that sorta vintage-ish style Ronin figure. It wasn't in the same scale as the vintage figures (which I realize weren't even a scale themselves, as all figures were 4.5 inches regardless of if it was Splinter or Super Shredder). Similarly, they launched that new line of Star Trek figures... which also are in a different scale than the vintage Star Trek figures (a real pity as if they were in the same scale, they could have worked wonderfully as supplements to the vintage line rather than starting off as a brand new one).

With all that said, it is very much within their power to make a new-ish line that's sorta vintage but newer. Basically the same thing that Super7 had been doing, but on a much smaller scale. They've had YEARS to do something like this, but never have. The "best" we've gotten are those "collector" figures where they keep reusing the same molds of the 4 brothers and pairing them up with crossovers.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:07 AM   #4467
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I'm reminded of that sorta vintage-ish style Ronin figure. It wasn't in the same scale as the vintage figures (which I realize weren't even a scale themselves, as all figures were 4.5 inches regardless of if it was Splinter or Super Shredder). Similarly, they launched that new line of Star Trek figures... which also are in a different scale than the vintage Star Trek figures (a real pity as if they were in the same scale, they could have worked wonderfully as supplements to the vintage line rather than starting off as a brand new one).

With all that said, it is very much within their power to make a new-ish line that's sorta vintage but newer. Basically the same thing that Super7 had been doing, but on a much smaller scale. They've had YEARS to do something like this, but never have. The "best" we've gotten are those "collector" figures where they keep reusing the same molds of the 4 brothers and pairing them up with crossovers.
To add to what you said about the same molds being reused and crossover pairing- those molds don't even look good. The only new sculpts for the turtles that's come from Playmates in recent years was the one they used for the Stranger Things crossover and the smaller scale Last Ronin you mentioned.

If they'd make a line of continuing the old vintage line with some re-releases and more than half new figures or concepts they'd have an instant hit. Instead they do ONLY re-releases of that line, and MOSTLY re-releases for the adult collector labeled stuff. Then they get pissy when Super7 does something they could have done before now.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:17 AM   #4468
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Unless, they've renegotiated with Viacom or Playmates, I really doubt that the Wave 11 Rat King will be 100% based on the vintage. It may be more Mirage inspired.
I'm glad they're taking another stab at Rat King, and I know it's not Brian's fault, but even in this interview, he was speaking fairly vaguely, so I'm inclined to agree with this. He actually specifically mentioned the accessories and "where does this accessory appear," so I'm not sure we'll be getting the classic accessories. But it's hard to say because he didn't really commit to anything other than "We're re-doing Rat King."
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #4469
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I'm glad they're taking another stab at Rat King, and I know it's not Brian's fault, but even in this interview, he was speaking fairly vaguely, so I'm inclined to agree with this. He actually specifically mentioned the accessories and "where does this accessory appear," so I'm not sure we'll be getting the classic accessories. But it's hard to say because he didn't really commit to anything other than "We're re-doing Rat King."
He did say it will be the Rat King that we expect...we are expecting an upgraded toy vintage version like the rest of the line
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #4470
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

I'm now bracing for a price increase with Wave 11.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:43 PM   #4471
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestergoblin View Post
I'm now bracing for a price increase with Wave 11.
no version of rat king will get me to preorder if prices increase
Old 03-28-2023, 03:28 PM   #4472
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
He did say it will be the Rat King that we expect...we are expecting an upgraded toy vintage version like the rest of the line
Not exactly. He said he was working with approvals to "get Rat King in the zone where I think people are expecting it to be".

There's a lot of room there for not exactly the vintage toy version.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:56 PM   #4473
TMNTdude87
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
To add to what you said about the same molds being reused and crossover pairing- those molds don't even look good. The only new sculpts for the turtles that's come from Playmates in recent years was the one they used for the Stranger Things crossover and the smaller scale Last Ronin you mentioned.

If they'd make a line of continuing the old vintage line with some re-releases and more than half new figures or concepts they'd have an instant hit. Instead they do ONLY re-releases of that line, and MOSTLY re-releases for the adult collector labeled stuff. Then they get pissy when Super7 does something they could have done before now.
Exactly! Those molds were ok in 2012, then began to look like straight vanilla the moment the Figuarts figures were released, and now with NECA and Super7 providing collectors with more options, if Playmates was threatened, they could have done their own nostalgia line. Playmates as you said, doesn't want to go this route. Although if they wanted to it would be easy money for them.

Quote:
Not exactly. He said he was working with approvals to "get Rat King in the zone where I think people are expecting it to be".

If he doesn't have the cat belt, the rat hook or the crossbow fans will rage. Every single vintage counterpart so far has had their weapons replicated, that's what most expect.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:06 PM   #4474
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:

We are expecting it to be toy vintage style. He knows that we want that (just like the line has been from the very beginning). I am pretty sure that's what he means. Flynn speaks in crypto language, never straight forward
Old 03-28-2023, 07:33 PM   #4475
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
We are expecting it to be toy vintage style. He knows that we want that (just like the line has been from the very beginning). I am pretty sure that's what he means. Flynn speaks in crypto language, never straight forward
Considering all the cryptospeak, I wouldn't be surprised if Rat King is ultimately replaced with Flocked Splinter from Wave 9, and with the marketing memo: "Not the Rat King we deserved but the Rat King we needed."
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:35 PM   #4476
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTdude87 View Post
If he doesn't have the cat belt, the rat hook or the crossbow fans will rage. Every single vintage counterpart so far has had their weapons replicated, that's what most expect.
The roadkill cat belt is a bit macabre. I wonder if the hesitation is from Playmates' end or because it doesn't pass the PC censors.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:38 PM   #4477
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
the PC censors.
of which there are no shortage of at SF-based S7. they mentioned in an earlier interview their hesitancy to ever do a Tattoo or Pizzaface. Come on guys.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:37 AM   #4478
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
of which there are no shortage of at SF-based S7. they mentioned in an earlier interview their hesitancy to ever do a Tattoo or Pizzaface. Come on guys.
What's so horrible about Pizza face? too many Zits? That said, I want an upgraded vintage version of Pizza Face.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #4479
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
What's so horrible about Pizza face? too many Zits?
He has a parasitic twin inside his hat in the vintage prototype and has a meat cleaver as a leg.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:18 AM   #4480
italianice388
Stone Warrior

I think they're more concerned about him being a (less-than-flattering) southern Italian stereotype than any of the specific gross out details of the design.