The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2023, 04:06 PM   #921
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette
 
Cowabung-Gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: U-S-A!!
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Spoiler:
The rat has no ties to Japan or martial arts at all. None of them do. The five of them go up to Times Square when the Turtles are younger and—surprise—all the people freak out. So Splinter decides they need to learn martial arts. So he watches internet videos (because apparently they have the internet [and, later, cell phones]) and they all become ninja masters.
So basically Bayverse but lamer?
__________________
Cowabunga
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:40 PM   #922
Sumac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Spoiler:
So he watches internet videos (because apparently they have the internet [and, later, cell phones]) and they all become ninja masters.
I have no words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Spoiler:
At least in the book (and god, I hope they changed these for the movie), there are a lot of really weird references to 90s pop culture. And the weirdest things. The Spice Girls, Phish, Depeche Mode, Party of Five.
If this movie targets kids, why the heck do they expect kids to know any of this?
And as for parents: I always thought that TMNT are more associated with 80s, than mid-90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
The origin sounds dumb of course but almost all Ninja Turtles origin stories are dumb. When I was a kid and saw the first film I cringed when I saw the rat learning Ninijtsu. IDW is probably the only version that makes sense overall.
Nah, this is worse.
At least, rat-Splinter "learned" martial arts form a real master, while MM Splinter and Turtles learn it from it videos?! Like WTF?

Also, FW also has no issues with "how Turtles had learnt martial arts" - Splinter being Hamato Yoshi sidesteps this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Plastering Turtle Tots around with a lot of "Hey, guess what we have?? We have TEEEEEEENS!!" seems pretty sus. Like, they think they know there's a big part of the fandom that's into that stuff, and I've been in the fandom long enough to know that they're right. There's some real sickos out there.
Sorry, Andrew, but I feel this is a pile ********.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:51 PM   #923
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
I was on the fence about this. Obviously it's not what I want from a TMNT movie but from the trailers it could have been a fun kids movie but a lot of what Rose is describing sounds just awful.

Yes, the aspect of how a rat can know martial arts has always been kinda dumb part of the origin but there are definite levels of stupid. One of the most complained about aspects of the of the 2014 movie was Splinter learning ninjutsu from a book and they pull something very similar here? What's really weird is that it's unnecessary; this is one project they actually could have skipped the origin particularly as it doesn't revolve around Shredder. Speaking of which given the director has said he wants the Shredder in potential sequel how is that going to work? Dumb as it was the 2014 movie while getting rid of the Oruku Saki / Hamato Yoshi backstory (the actual compelling part of the TMNT's origin and overall mythos) but at least replaced it with Shredder being the head of company that made the mutagen...here we don't have any connection at all.

This all sounds like garbage and given the red flags we've had about this project since the beginning I regret even giving it a tiny part of the benefit of the doubt.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:20 PM   #924
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Plastering Turtle Tots around with a lot of "Hey, guess what we have?? We have TEEEEEEENS!!" seems pretty sus.
Andrew, why are you using teen slang? Are you trying to appeal to teens by using it?? What are your motivations???
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:49 PM   #925
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Plastering Turtle Tots around with a lot of "Hey, guess what we have?? We have TEEEEEEENS!!" seems pretty sus. Like, they think they know there's a big part of the fandom that's into that stuff, and I've been in the fandom long enough to know that they're right. There's some real sickos out there.
I usually follow with whet you're saying, but it sounds like this time you lost the plot. I don't see how any of the TMNT marketing is set to appeal to 'those types of people'. I mean.... I don't see a bunch of people wanting to bang mutated turtle kids and April is an ugly fatass.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:31 PM   #926
Wednesday's Serial
Foot Soldier
 
Wednesday's Serial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

As far as the origins of TMNT, it doesn't surprise me, it already seemed from the beginning that they were going to change a bunch of things for the worse just to "revitalize" the characters. what sold me on the movie and got me excited was the art style and interactions, if there's enough soul in the movie I can overlook the dumb story changes.
Curious to see if it can capture some of the excitement and energy of the Spider-Verse movie that clearly inspired it along.
Wednesday's Serial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:25 AM   #927
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I usually follow with whet you're saying, but it sounds like this time you lost the plot. I don't see how any of the TMNT marketing is set to appeal to 'those types of people'. I mean.... I don't see a bunch of people wanting to bang mutated turtle kids and April is an ugly fatass.
I realize this may be a "hot take." And I could be way off. I'm just saying... I've been around this fandom a loooong time now. And certain groups of people sure take a shining to "Cute, 'lil TMNT" and boy, yeah... you should have seen what people were posting around 1998-2004ish online in Turtle circles in fanfiction, and this is for guys and girls alike (mostly older women, but we shouldn't forget the name "Gobo" either). But maybe this stuff now is entirely innocent and that's that. But it was enough of a part of the fandom that Nick was putting out official "Turtle Tots" stuff fairly recently. I'm not really insinuating that that stuff was put out for weirdos, I'm just saying it's all pretty dubious on its face. Like, this is for just people who are into cutesy stuff? Sure, absolutely. That's a thing, in a post-wobbly head whatever. But I've seen a lot of stuff around this fandom. Whole "Secret" (not so secret, really) pockets on the internet of TMNT fans (be it boards) that I kind of looked at because people I looked up to told me to join them and then, yeesh. I'm over there posting like my TMNT fanfics about different universes crossing over and fighting Predators and stuff when I was like 17, 18, 19... and/or they're all posting about the TMNT screwing each other and having babies with other teenaged girls (who always seem to resemble the writer). These people still exist, that much I'm sure. They've just been driven into the shadows, and rightfully so. But it was also a different time. A time when there was enough of them to gather around and give each other high fives.

I'll shut up about it. And I won't point fingers. But I've seen things I wish that I hadn't. I've been around since 1996 when I was on dial-up in my high school library looking up the latest update on ninjaturtles.com about how edgy NT:TNM will be and how Mirage is taking a break and Image is doing a new series.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
Andrew, why are you using teen slang? Are you trying to appeal to teens by using it?? What are your motivations???
wtf? I have a teenager who is a sophomore in high school and I also have an internet connection (hello, memes). I'm not aware of any agreements made to where if you're born in the 80s or 90s you are beholden to that vernacular forevermore.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-19-2023 at 01:42 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:06 AM   #928
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
I mean ... Everybody uses 'sus', unless you're like a super boomer or whatever.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:29 AM   #929
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean ... Everybody uses 'sus', unless you're like a super boomer or whatever.
I mostly picked it up from the Breaking Bad memes. Where Gus became... Sus.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:58 AM   #930
Sumac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've been around since 1996 when I was on dial-up in my high school library looking up the latest update on ninjaturtles.com about how edgy NT:TNM will be and how Mirage is taking a break and Image is doing a new series.
Oh boy, bet people had a lot of hopes for this one...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:25 AM   #931
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,791
The only good thing about Shoshana being ugly and fat is there will be less adult art of her on the internet.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:39 AM   #932
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Shadow's Sanctum
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Spoiler:
The rat has no ties to Japan or martial arts at all. None of them do. The five of them go up to Times Square when the Turtles are younger and—surprise—all the people freak out. So Splinter decides they need to learn martial arts. So he watches internet videos (because apparently they have the internet [and, later, cell phones]) and they all become ninja masters.
This sounds unbelievably dumb and quite lazy.
__________________
Who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of Men?
The Shadow knows...
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:35 AM   #933
jetfire prime
Random Punk
 
jetfire prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only good thing about Shoshana being ugly and fat is there will be less adult art of her on the internet.
Holy crap are you ignorant. Whats it like being that stupid? Seriously, you are racist and disgusting. All over a kids cartoon. Grow up but please dont procreate. We dont need anymore people like you in this society
jetfire prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:51 AM   #934
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire prime View Post
Holy crap are you ignorant. Whats it like being that stupid? Seriously, you are racist and disgusting. All over a kids cartoon. Grow up but please dont procreate. We dont need anymore people like you in this society
Who are you?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #935
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only good thing about Shoshana being ugly and fat is there will be less adult art of her on the internet.
I mean .... If you say so....
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:59 AM   #936
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire prime View Post
Holy crap are you ignorant. Whats it like being that stupid? Seriously, you are racist and disgusting. All over a kids cartoon. Grow up but please dont procreate. We dont need anymore people like you in this society
Cubed is married and has 5 kids. You're a little late in that one.

Also Cubed is kinda dumb but he's not a racist. Wishing for characters to not be raceswapped is not racist. If they brought back that one black zookeeper woman from that one Michealangelo episode and made her white or something else, Cubed would be complaining about that too, except you'd be on his side because now he's complaining for the side of 'the right color'.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 07-19-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #937
jetfire prime
Random Punk
 
jetfire prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Who are you?
Someone whos shocked the mods dont do a better job in the place
jetfire prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #938
jetfire prime
Random Punk
 
jetfire prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Cubed is married and has 5 kids. You're a little late in that one.
Well that excuses everything then
jetfire prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #939
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfire prime View Post
Someone whos shocked the mods dont do a better job in the place
Are they not being good enough defenders of Trtle Produkt™ for your liking?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:27 AM   #940
jetfire prime
Random Punk
 
jetfire prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Are they not being good enough defenders of Trtle Produkt™ for your liking?
If that what you take away from all the racism thats been spewing here, then youre just as complicit and stupid as the rest of them. Way to make the turtles fandom look good.
jetfire prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bebop, cubedhatesblackpeople, cuckatello, leatherhead, mondo cucko, mondo gecko, rocksteady, tigercuck, wingnut


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.