The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #21
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Wow, watching that I feel like the lamest "fan" in the world: I didn't seek refuge in the turtles during a troubled childood; my collection is 4 film basic figures and some DVDs, cuddly Donatello from the 80s whom I recently dug out of my parent's garage and novelisations of the new film and film 1 and occupies a small book shelf; I've never dressed up as a turtle; I don't have any TMNT Tshirts; I've never learned martial arts (although it would be awesome); never kept pet turtles nor indeed named any pets after the characters.

Apparently I don't count as a fan - I just love the turtles because they are cool and the characters are fascinating. I loved them when I was a kid because my sister did and there was a purple one and purple was my favourite colour!

*hangs head in shame*
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #22
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!
 
Kunoichi_Haruko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Wow, watching that I feel like the lamest "fan" in the world: I didn't seek refuge in the turtles during a troubled childood; my collection is 4 film basic figures and some DVDs, cuddly Donatello from the 80s whom I recently dug out of my parent's garage and novelisations of the new film and film 1 and occupies a small book shelf; I've never dressed up as a turtle; I don't have any TMNT Tshirts; I've never learned martial arts (although it would be awesome); never kept pet turtles nor indeed named any pets after the characters.

Apparently I don't count as a fan - I just love the turtles because they are cool and the characters are fascinating. I loved them when I was a kid because my sister did and there was a purple one and purple was my favourite colour!

*hangs head in shame*
Hey now! Don't say that about yourself! It doesn't matter how you got into them, or how much money you've spent on turtle paraphernalia-- You're still a fan! I never did any of that stuff mentioned, but I still count myself as a fan. Hell, the only thing I know I owned for sure that involves the turtles is the first three movies. I've got more stuff now because I've got my own money now, but for the longest time it was just me and the VHS tapes.
__________________
Kunoichi_Haruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 AM   #23
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunoichi_Haruko View Post
Hey now! Don't say that about yourself! It doesn't matter how you got into them, or how much money you've spent on turtle paraphernalia-- You're still a fan! I never did any of that stuff mentioned, but I still count myself as a fan. Hell, the only thing I know I owned for sure that involves the turtles is the first three movies. I've got more stuff now because I've got my own money now, but for the longest time it was just me and the VHS tapes.
Yeah. Me too! Being a fan of something doesn't have to mean fanatical. I love the turltes - watching the films / episodes makes me happy. That's all that's needed really.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #24
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
These people scare me.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
These people scare me.

Jee thanks.
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #26
iris
moddy mod mod
 
iris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: finally escaped the lab
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The part about the museum idea interested me, it proves the "manaical obsessions" at least have a more profitable purpose without neccersarily selling them, and leads to a good educational source for future historians.

Did'nt like, as usual, the way the franchise was portrayed at all . For a guy who thinks the original cartoon is better than most TMNT interpretations, I STILL hate it's used the way it is to convey what the Turtles always are. And of course, no real emphisis on it. This is as generic as it gets, the show does'nt CARE about the franchise, they just focus on what the fans do with what they like and thier lives, they don't concentrate on anything else.

I mean really, there not talking about the comic, or about the cartoons, or about anything, there just putting everything on display. If they DID talk about the franchise, then they got edited. Big time edited. This is dime-a-dosen television, good exposure, but just candy, no food.

The Biography Channel is the only f'ing thing that would ever allow the TMNT to be represented in a respectful and more candid way, especially the fans, I'd push for fans to help a documentary be made for THAT than wasting time with shows like this that would prefer to continue to present the STIGMA of fanatics.
This show seems to be about personal stories of why people were fanatical about whatever they love. The franchise and its portrayal is somewhat irrelevant, although I do think that people connect to TMNT in a more personal and interesting way than they can connect to, say, Batman or Superman. Don't you think they showed why fandom could rationally be a big part of someone's life?

Seemed like a pretty good documentary to me.
__________________
Appeal to nobler motives. Like pie.
[ life is at best bitter sweet ]
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #27
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
That was really cool.

And speaking of really cool, how about that comic shop she went to? Mine never has more than 10 TMNT comics and its all just volume 4 and movie prequels.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #28
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
Wow, watching that I feel like the lamest "fan" in the world: I didn't seek refuge in the turtles during a troubled childood; my collection is 4 film basic figures and some DVDs, cuddly Donatello from the 80s whom I recently dug out of my parent's garage and novelisations of the new film and film 1 and occupies a small book shelf; I've never dressed up as a turtle; I don't have any TMNT Tshirts; I've never learned martial arts (although it would be awesome); never kept pet turtles nor indeed named any pets after the characters.

Apparently I don't count as a fan - I just love the turtles because they are cool and the characters are fascinating. I loved them when I was a kid because my sister did and there was a purple one and purple was my favourite colour!

*hangs head in shame*
Aww, jenna, don't worry about it. Fandom comes in all forms. You seem like a pretty big fan to me, just because you love the characters and have a lot to say about them.
__________________


Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
Don't you think they showed why fandom could rationally be a big part of someone's life?
Rationally? No. No, they did'nt. More like bats*it insane.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #30
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Aww, jenna, don't worry about it. Fandom comes in all forms. You seem like a pretty big fan to me, just because you love the characters and have a lot to say about them.
Heehee thanks Roo.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #31
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
You can see by my tiny collection, yeah I'm a big fan but I don't need to get every single piece. Just one specific character who I love the most. I have most but not all new raph things...but im working on it. my real turtles come first before the toys. So my $ goes to them before the collection.
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #32
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
my collection:

a framed TMNT movie poster
original 3 DVDs
some figures
2 video games
some of the recent DVDs
3 T-shirts
25 comics
soundtrack

So, I have a very small collection compared to other people on the forums. I used to have some live turtles. My money is spent on other things.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #33
iris
moddy mod mod
 
iris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: finally escaped the lab
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Rationally? No. No, they did'nt. More like bats*it insane.
Have it your way, but I think you're only seeing Wacko!Fan because you're focusing on the TMNT stuff and totally overlooking the pathos. The pathos being the whole human story that everything was edited around, to the exclusion of the TMNT stuff that you lament was excluded. Yes, there is stuff most people would put on the Crazy side of the sanity spectrum... clearly these life choices aren't very common, which is why they are TV fodder. But there are also a lot of positive things going on around the TMNT love, as nicely articulated by Chris and Ivey. The message that stood out to me was this: fanatics are human beings, even likeable ones with families and dreams and problems and moms and cute children. That is an incredibly positive message, especially considering that the trend in reality-based television is to use editing to create the equivalent of a carnival freak show. If you only want to notice the "negative" side, that's your choice. Maybe it's a choice that a lot of people would make when watching this show, I dunno... most people are remarkably far from the Rational extreme of the sanity spectrum, even those with more common un-TV-worthy lifestyles.
__________________
Appeal to nobler motives. Like pie.
[ life is at best bitter sweet ]
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #34
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
Have it your way, but I think you're only seeing Wacko!Fan because you're focusing on the TMNT stuff and totally overlooking the pathos. The pathos being the whole human story that everything was edited around, to the exclusion of the TMNT stuff that you lament was excluded. Yes, there is stuff most people would put on the Crazy side of the sanity spectrum... clearly these life choices aren't very common, which is why they are TV fodder. But there are also a lot of positive things going on around the TMNT love, as nicely articulated by Chris and Ivey. The message that stood out to me was this: fanatics are human beings, even likeable ones with families and dreams and problems and moms and cute children. That is an incredibly positive message, especially considering that the trend in reality-based television is to use editing to create the equivalent of a carnival freak show. If you only want to notice the "negative" side, that's your choice. Maybe it's a choice that a lot of people would make when watching this show, I dunno... most people are remarkably far from the Rational extreme of the sanity spectrum, even those with more common un-TV-worthy lifestyles.
Yeah, and just think about what a boring place the world would be if there were no eccentrics and everyone was emotionally balanced and healthy. Neuroses are a fact of life. Eg. I am fairly neurotic. I have an irrational fear of bananas. (whack job, I hear you say, but no. I am very normal if not a little highly strung.) This causes much amusement amongst friends and family. They peel a banana and some evil people wave them at me. Why am I scared of bananas? Can't tell you - I don't know. I think they are gross, but I am proud because without me and my banana fear, many people's day would be much more boring.
Being obsessed with ninja turtles is no where near as dangerous as other obsessions can be. I was stalked by a creepy guy for a while. Now that was scary!
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #35
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
Have it your way, but I think you're only seeing Wacko!Fan because you're focusing on the TMNT stuff and totally overlooking the pathos.
People will take one look at that vid and STILL think TMNT authorities are losers. That's it. What the "human story" is, I could'nt give a damn, these "Fanatic" shows are no different than documentaries that look at people who overcome a handicap or a terminal illness in spite of adversity, it makes us look like absolute outcasts, and they manipulate and edit everything around this cliche.

I want a documentary that at least has fans coversing the history of the franchise, not saying they can smile being fans and live with it holding Turtle parties with freinds who all have the "Lemme jump out the f*cking window" look plastered all over their faces. It's not that hard, and these hacks for television producers see us as no better than people with disabilities and pick the most outlandish people to reflect that.

It's old, it's cliche, it's embarrasing. It's something that needs to change, and accepting it in any form is unacceptable to me, it's settling for something mediocre, something backwards.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #36
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
I gotta agree with Zarius here...Buslady may simply come off as a bit obsessive over Raph but who doesn't know that already she makes that pretty clear herself.
I was biting my tongue though and cringing allot over the other girl she honestly kind of scares and comes off as mentally unstable allot of the time in the interview.
I'm not trying to be rude here but like Zarius said they look for the wackiest people to interview and then edit things even further to make them look even more goofy.
It really Does put fans in a bad light in my opinion.
I'm sure I'm going to get bitched at for my opinion but oh well I don't care if Anarky (a Mod) can call these people Scary I can most deff. give my 2 cents as well.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #37
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
See I think they should have people on there that still dig TMNT alot but are more subtle about it.

Showing people who are obsessed only makes us fans all look bad like Zarius said. Not I'm not dissing Buslady and Ivey here just saying if people think all TMNT fans are like that their going to think were all nuts.

Like I have a big collection but when you go into my room it isn't just turtles pasted everywhere. As cool as that would be I think it's to show other stuff I like as well, like music.

They should have interviewed some other people too sides them. Maybe 2 more people and maybe 2 guys that was it was even so people can see what male fans are like and female fans.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #38
iris
moddy mod mod
 
iris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: finally escaped the lab
Posts: 1,886
Putre... dude I love ya but you're one to talk about looking scary to the mainstream... :p LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
People will take one look at that vid and STILL think TMNT authorities are losers. That's it. What the "human story" is, I could'nt give a damn, these "Fanatic" shows are no different than documentaries that look at people who overcome a handicap or a terminal illness in spite of adversity, it makes us look like absolute outcasts, and they manipulate and edit everything around this cliche.

I want a documentary that at least has fans coversing the history of the franchise, not saying they can smile being fans and live with it holding Turtle parties with freinds who all have the "Lemme jump out the f*cking window" look plastered all over their faces. It's not that hard, and these hacks for television producers see us as no better than people with disabilities and pick the most outlandish people to reflect that.

It's old, it's cliche, it's embarrasing. It's something that needs to change, and accepting it in any form is unacceptable to me, it's settling for something mediocre, something backwards.
You're absolutely right, there are plenty of people in the world who divide it into "winners" and "losers" and would place "fanatics" in the "loser" category. They do this by adhering to a system of criteria handpicked to make sure that they themselves can fit into the "winner" category. Those people are all fickle, judgemental dumbasses who are going to pick a set of people to be "better than" no matter what, so why should I care what they think of me for being who I am?

You seem to think that people would change their minds about TMNT... what... being for losers?... and they would change their minds if only they could know something about its awesomeness and its history of awesomeness. But I think people are going to think what they're determined to think, as evidenced by reviews of TMNT 2007. As jaded as that viewpoint is, I also like to give people a little credit and assume they know that people who like TMNT/Spiderman/Batman/whatever are not all crowded at the totally cowabunga radical extreme.

Just a note: I probably sound kinda angry in this thread. I'm not angry; I'm just in a hurry!
__________________
Appeal to nobler motives. Like pie.
[ life is at best bitter sweet ]
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #39
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
Putre... dude I love ya but you're one to talk about looking scary to the mainstream... :p LOL:
Do you really want to get me started Iris? because I can.. I'm really trying to be nice here...and giving them the benefit of the doubt.
My images are for my art, night clubs and my music projects...not real life...I'm sitting here in black glasses, unshaven for a week, my hairs not done, wearing my splinters dojo shirt and my boxers I don't think you want me to get any more technical than that...

Last edited by VaughnMichael; 05-12-2007 at 04:32 PM.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #40
iris
moddy mod mod
 
iris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: finally escaped the lab
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
do you really want to get me started Iris? because I can I'm really trying to be nice..
My images are for my art, night clubs and my music projects...not real life.
I know that. I can distinguish between you and your art. Or you and the things you like. What I'm saying is that not everyone is going to bother to make that distinction... look at what they say about Marilyn Manson who's like one of the most awesome and well-spoken artists ever. People are gonna judge no matter what. And I don't have time for those people.
__________________
Appeal to nobler motives. Like pie.
[ life is at best bitter sweet ]
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.