The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #61
CudleyCowlick
Stone Warrior
 
CudleyCowlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 721
Uhm... This is officially the most ridiculous thread I've seen in the relatively short amount of time I've been here.

Of probably a dozen various forums I've tried to post regularly on, this is the only one I wasn't driven away from after less than a couple months or a hundred posts.

SERIOUSLY... I'm just glad we TMNT fans have a place we can go to talk. I have found the 'drome to be a great place full of knowing, insightful folks who are ready to help and share their opinions.

As a rabid fan, TMNT historian, and insatiable collector, I'm glad I can get to the 'drome several times a week (assuming I have the time) and find some interesting conversation, or learn something new.
Hell knows my girlfriend was sick of me telling her about figure variations and what comics I still needed to complete such and such a run...

Granted, I've only been here less than 2 years, and I don't know what it was like for the first 7, but I'm psyched that the 'drome is here at all, and I am perfectly willing to ignore the idiots here, and their stupid posts, if it means I get to communicate with other intelligent fans and collectors, which to me, seem to still be the majority here.
__________________
THE DARKNESS AGE IS RETURN!
CudleyCowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #62
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
Suggestions as to how to make it better: First, before we take any drastic measures... talk about it. This is why I brought this issue up in the first place. Most of everything can be solved by talking. Like "Hey, look, I see you really think that you live in the same house as Casey Jones and that you're in a polka-dance-group with the Turtles, but could you just spare us from it in this section?"

Or maybe, add a poll to the New TMNT-discussion on whether people would like fancharacters to be inserted into discussion about the cartoon in this section. Set only "Yes" and "No" for an answer, since you'll get a billion "idk lol!" replies otherwise. Leave it open for about two weeks, then act accordingly.

Also, leave threads open you'd lock otherwise, just for a while. Just to see where it's going. Mindless fun can actually form communities. Because if you click on a forums and you go "Oooh, new thread!... Damn, locked." you'll eventually get to the point where you just go "You know what? F*** it, I'm not putting work into a thread that will be locked anyways."

I'll try to come up with some more suggestions, but those are the core things.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #63
Shredder
Admin/Layton Apprentice
 
Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Isla Nublar
Posts: 481
Personally, I don't see what good just complaining, leaving, or shrugging off problems as inevitable "change" do in terms of helping us fix things if people really do want to see the forums improve. Reading through this thread, I'm seeing very little in terms of useful suggestions about how to fix the issues people are complaining about. The general idea I'm getting is- "this place sucks/ it used to be better/ oh well, change happens, what can you do?/I barely visit anymore anyway, so what difference does it make?" I mean, that's just frustrating to hear, especially considering (to reiterate what Krang said) no one seems to care enough to help. What is it that you'd like us to do to help eliminate some of the perceived problems? Why not help us brainstorm real and useful suggestions about how to improve things around here rather than criticizing everything?

EDIT- Please keep the suggestions coming, although I thought it was already understood that fan character discussion is not allowed outside of the RPG section, so I don't see how that applies.
__________________

"Well, actually, I always wanted to be a writer. Being a ruthless conqueror was my second choice." --Shredder, Take Me to Your Leader
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #64
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
No...Jester....keep jest to yourself....I...can't!!!


Oh, boy, this must be getting serious, Shredder is making an appearance.

(No offense meant Shredder, I wish we saw you around more.)

I'm not really sure what to suggest to "fix" it, since I think what is "wrong" is a matter of opinion and personality conflict. Some people don't like X, but to others it's why they are here, and for others, well we can look past it. Case in point: the Casey/April Wedding thread, though Guitar Raph placed his fan character with in the context of the thread itself, some of us just over looked it and posted about the topic at hand (though I do admit I ed when I read the first post, but that was the only reaction I had).

Once again, I'm not sure the problem is with the forum, or reinforcement of rules, or a need for guidelines on what posters can and can't say and how, I think a lot of it rest on people's personalities rubbing others the wrong way and vice versa.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #65
SassyGal
Mad Scientist
 
SassyGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not really sure what to suggest to "fix" it, since I think what is "wrong" is a matter of opinion and personality conflict. Some people don't like X, but to others it's why they are here, and for others, well we can look past it. Case in point: the Casey/April Wedding thread, though Guitar Raph placed his fan character with in the context of the thread itself, some of us just over looked it and posted about the topic at hand (though I do admit I ed when I read the first post, but that was the only reaction I had). Once again, I'm not sure the problem is with the forum, or reinforcement of rules, or a need for guidelines on what posters can and can't say and how, I think a lot of it rest on people's personalities rubbing others the wrong way and vice versa.
I agree with you Jester.

Krang was right when he said admins/mods can't really stop the overanalyzing of the show/fandom...it all starts with us and even though I did agree that a lot of people do that, I just want to clarify that everyone seems to be exercising a lot more tolerance either with how we approach people we think are being a little overzealous or how the people on the recieving end of the complaint react. In this situation, it really is up to us, the members, to treat each other with respect...we tmnt fans are a passionate bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
I split off this thread so that we could hear what problems people have with the forums and what their suggestions are for fixing them. I didn't do that so that people could tell me that the forums that I've poured so much hard work and money into all these years have become worthless.
I would hate to see everything fall to crap because as others have mentioned, my visits to the Drome are a happy part of my daily internet routine, right between email and facebook! I love this place and would miss it if it were gone! You do put a lot of work into this place and it shows so thanks for all the hard work you do...for my part, I will take your suggestion and continue to skip over parts that include a lot of excessive analyzing...and stop complaining

Last edited by SassyGal; 10-10-2008 at 08:23 PM.
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #66
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
EDIT- Please keep the suggestions coming, although I thought it was already understood that fan character discussion is not allowed outside of the RPG section, so I don't see how that applies.
Well, I'd agree with you on that one, however, that hasn't been the case. Apparently some fan-band was to play at April and Casey's wedding and whatnot.

In any case, I thought that before I go and whip up suggestions, that I'd check out if I'm alone on this here. Seeing as I'm not, I'll help to make the Drome the most it can be.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #67
Darth Shredder
Foot Soldier
 
Darth Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere far away.
Posts: 237
A lot of times when I join a forum and remain inactive for a long period of time, I'll get an auto-message from the forum in my email inbox titled: "(my username), we miss you!" Every month or so.

Does the Technodrome have that feature? It might poke some older, more knowledgable and mature members from their slumbers by reminding them of the Technodrome's existance.
Darth Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #68
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
See, the thing is, the main problems anyone has with boards are derived from one person's opinion.

Just how much analysis does it take before it becomes over-analysis? Ask any 10 random members, and I guarantee you'll get at least 8 different answers. I'm not contesting that there is a line to be drawn, but where the line can be drawn. Same with Spit's concern over quality in fanart and customs. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all. Just because one member thinks a particular piece is rubbish, does not mean that another will not find it inspiring.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #69
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru
 
Krang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dimension X
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
I would suggest the things we could do to "fix" things, but I don't know any more. It's just a natural course. People will drop off on their own accord. The RPG people know where they are meant to stay. Fanworks change over time. You know? Give it a matter of time and things will even out. Sure, the Video Game section is now not the hip and happening place, and people talk more about gossip in the news section now, but hey, that's what change is, isn't it?
No, it's not. That's basically saying, "The forums suck now, and there's nothing that can be done about it," and I'm not going to accept that. If even one person began to start threads and post regularly in the Video Games section, or if one person began regularly posting relevant and important news in the Current Events section, there would most likely be a domino effect that would completely undo this "change." It is not something that can't be fixed, and it is not something that we have to sit back and accept. All it takes are a few people who want to help make this place better.

Do you know what these forums were like during the first 5 months after we switched over from Boardhost? Practically dead. But all it took were a small number of people (Machias, Peanut, Kali, chrome_dome, and a few others) to completely turn things around, and the same can happen for the dying sections here if just a few people would help out by putting forth a little effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
Most of everything can be solved by talking. Like "Hey, look, I see you really think that you live in the same house as Casey Jones and that you're in a polka-dance-group with the Turtles, but could you just spare us from it in this section?"
Good idea. Like I said, you're welcome to try it (via PM).

Quote:
Also, leave threads open you'd lock otherwise, just for a while. Just to see where it's going. Mindless fun can actually form communities. Because if you click on a forums and you go "Oooh, new thread!... Damn, locked." you'll eventually get to the point where you just go "You know what? F*** it, I'm not putting work into a thread that will be locked anyways."
Of the last 100 threads you started, guess how many were locked? One. I really don't see why you think your threads will be randomly locked when 99% of them remain open. I'm not asking for perfection here, all I'm asking for is somewhat intelligent topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
Well, I'd agree with you on that one, however, that hasn't been the case. Apparently some fan-band was to play at April and Casey's wedding and whatnot.
It's ridiculous to assume that fan characters are accepted and are a regular thing around here when it's ONE PERSON who posts about them outside of the RPG section. While I think he knows now not to post about them, just put him on your ignore list if you want to be safe.

Quote:
In any case, I thought that before I go and whip up suggestions, that I'd check out if I'm alone on this here. Seeing as I'm not, I'll help to make the Drome the most it can be.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Shredder View Post
A lot of times when I join a forum and remain inactive for a long period of time, I'll get an auto-message from the forum in my email inbox titled: "(my username), we miss you!" Every month or so.

Does the Technodrome have that feature? It might poke some older, more knowledgable and mature members from their slumbers by reminding them of the Technodrome's existance.
We have a message that is displayed at the top of the forums when someone hasn't posted for a while, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be very effective. I'll look into the idea of sending email, though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
See, the thing is, the main problems anyone has with boards are derived from one person's opinion.

Just how much analysis does it take before it becomes over-analysis? Ask any 10 random members, and I guarantee you'll get at least 8 different answers. I'm not contesting that there is a line to be drawn, but where the line can be drawn. Same with Spit's concern over quality in fanart and customs. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all. Just because one member thinks a particular piece is rubbish, does not mean that another will not find it inspiring.
Well said. I think that's what most of the complaints boil down to.
__________________

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #70
Jelly Bean
Stone Warrior
 
Jelly Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: in front of the computer
Posts: 974
personaly, I know I'm new here too some mediums of the tmnt, and I'm probably going to get flamed here for saying it, but I have too say that the complaints I'm seeing in this thread are pretty nit picky and arrogant. I under stand the integrity of the dromes forums want to be maintained but some of the compliants about the actvity in some of the forums on here just seem very elitist and prejiduced.
__________________
Quote:
it's pretty stupid that any company that specializes in serving up hot meat - specifically "Hot C*ck Meat" (Chickens? "C*cks"? Get it?) - in between a set of warm buns would have an anti-gay agenda. The irony is palpable.
-Leo656

--------

Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #71
Magdolin
Professional Dork
 
Magdolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Society of Midnight Ninjas.
Posts: 1,970
Krang, Shredder, I care a lot about this site, and I'm willing to help. And I'm sure some of my friends here would like to help too. All that really matters is that we try our best to make things right again, and fun again. And if some people still complain about it, then screw 'em. Heck, if we have to, then we could just kick 'em out if it really starts to get bad.


My mother does computer stuff, and I think I know enough about it to help out with this site. I could help clean up the place a little, and help put things back to rights. And I hope I can help out a lot. I really don't have any things in mind to help out, but I could think of some ideas, to at least help out a little.
__________________

"When life gives you lemons, make yourself some pie. Or squeeze 'em in people's eyes and run away, whatever floats your boat."
Magdolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #72
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator
 
Jo Dawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Authority On All Things Don
Posts: 5,190
A real problem that I see is that we have people who comment in threads they apparently don't care about and just say mean, nasty things in them. Obviously we have many strong opinions on this board, but many people here are not mature enough to know when to use them and when not to and open their mouths incessently. (You know who I'm not talking about, but those that do it most likely don't know that I do mean them.)
__________________
Jo Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #73
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Stop talking about me Jo!!!

In all seriousness it does seem that mild trooling in a lot of threads. Heck, even Anarky's presidential bid thread has been hit by it.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #74
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru
 
Krang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dimension X
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Williams View Post
Krang, Shredder, I care a lot about this site, and I'm willing to help. And I'm sure some of my friends here would like to help too. All that really matters is that we try our best to make things right again, and fun again.

[...]

And I hope I can help out a lot. I really don't have any things in mind to help out, but I could think of some ideas, to at least help out a little.
Thanks for the offer. What we need the most help with right now is starting interesting new threads that help spark some discussion around here, particularly in the General Discussion sections. Besides that, we could always use new members, so if anyone here knows people who are at least a little interested in some form of TMNT, you're welcome to invite them if you think they will contribute positively to the discussions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Dawn View Post
A real problem that I see is that we have people who comment in threads they apparently don't care about and just say mean, nasty things in them. Obviously we have many strong opinions on this board, but many people here are not mature enough to know when to use them and when not to and open their mouths incessently. (You know who I'm not talking about, but those that do it most likely don't know that I do mean them.)
Speaking of help, we could always use help with reporting posts like this to the moderators if any of you come across them. Of course, you, as a moderator, are free to take matters into your own hands when you encounter something like this.
__________________

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #75
Storm Wolf
The Thread Killer
 
Storm Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the back of the cave.... lurking.
Posts: 2,617
I know I've been too much a lurker of late but I still come here on occasion to see what's up on the 'Drome.

I really don't think it's bad here at all. We've hit a slow point, yes, but that's no reason to think it's gone all to hell. This place has survived many problems before, and this is definitely NOT the worst the forums has been.

Most of the problems I see lies with the people who are unnecessarily posting rude/ obscene comments. There are a few people here who are just not mature enough to handle others opinions gracefully. That's nothing....every forum has a few people like this.

If it weren't for our nutty and strange forum members this place would be just dull! Lots of drama is bad....but a little here and there keeps things interesting, IMO.

When I first joined (WOW that was long ago!) the RPG section was on fire! which is one of the main reasons I joined....other than my like of TMNT. Kali, Azure, Machi, and a few others put there own Characters into RPG's many times. I don't think the RPG section has changed to much. I thought it was fun to introduce fan characters into the turtles worlds. After all...isn't that sorta what RPG is?

Krang....What if we split the RPG section into two parts? One for original TMNT characters....and one section for those who wish to cross universes and add fan characters? Would that solve the RPG problem?

I love these forums! This place has been a great place to make friends, meet new people, and just be random/goofy or serious. We've lost lots of great members....due to life happening I suppose. I do like that e-mail idea! Some people join and get busy, then forget they ever joined! A little nudge in the right direction may bring them back.

I'm going to try making more of a comeback, myself! Maybe....temporarily we could allow a bit of necro-posting? I see as how people get testy with this, but there are a good deal of topics that people can reply to relevantly that are buried....instead of starting a whole new thread about the same subject.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvenuto
Don't you mean 'asshole classic'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwamu The Kappa View Post
Voting: pick which lies you think sounds best.
Storm Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #76
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!
 
Kunoichi_Haruko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,685
I like Storm Wolf's idea. I don't mind necro posts much, and seeing as we're still trying to come up with better topics for people to be enganged in, why not bring back some of the classics that really got people going? I'm sure there's something around here that I've missed that I might have an opinion on, the same may be true for others.
__________________
Kunoichi_Haruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #77
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
I also agree on being lenient with necro-posting. As long as the post itself is meaningful and has some weight to it, then it shouldn't be a problem (and avoid some fool to chime in with a, "NECROPOSTORRZZZ!!!11!!!" comment).

Also, that e-mail idea is a good one. Hopefully, if in effect, the e-mail goes to an address still used by the member it belongs to. I'd like to see some of the old peeps return.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #78
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru
 
Krang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dimension X
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Wolf View Post
Krang....What if we split the RPG section into two parts? One for original TMNT characters....and one section for those who wish to cross universes and add fan characters? Would that solve the RPG problem?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure what to do there since I don't visit the RPG section, so that question would probably be better left to the people who do, particularly those who have complaints with how things are going there.

Quote:
Maybe....temporarily we could allow a bit of necro-posting? I see as how people get testy with this, but there are a good deal of topics that people can reply to relevantly that are buried....instead of starting a whole new thread about the same subject.
Sure, that would be fine with me. As I mentioned here, it's not against the rules to do so, so we would just need to point people here (or better yet, to the thread I linked to) if they complain about it.
__________________

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #79
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator
 
Jo Dawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Authority On All Things Don
Posts: 5,190
Here's a problem, Krang.

Some people are only here to be miserable to other people.

Sometimes it's not enough to take action as a mod, because they will cry 'foul' and being overpowerful.

Some of them ARE in power.

Either way, they are overtaking any good things we have here.

But they need to stop being such complete idiots, and grow up.
__________________
Jo Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #80
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Again Jo, stop talking about me like that!

(I really need to learn when to jest and when not)

I agree with Jo. It does seem like there are people who just like to be tools and rain on peoples parades, and that needs to stop. If you don't have anything constructive to say in a thread, anything to keep the conversation rolling, and just post smething mean, then don't. I can't tell you how many times I've thought twice about a post I was writing and refrained from posting it, and it was probably for the better.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.