The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Multi-colored or all Red headbands in the IDW comic?
Multi-colored 58 48.74%
Red 61 51.26%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
This doesn't look like a traditional clan to me. It looks like a true family, just one that has remained in hiding and trains in ninjitsu.

I actually hate the 80's toon.
I prefer the colored.
While I certainly don't hate the 80s toon, it is my least favorite TMNT medium and like I said in another thread, lumping all of us colored-lovers in with OT fanboys is plain generalization, and is rather silly.

I agree with you - there's nothing traditional about them.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
They have never been a "traditional" clan
But keeping the bandannas red is one very small, easy-to-do thing (that already has precedent in... oh, I don't know... the source material itself) to help sell the "These Turtles are supposed to be ninjas" factor. I guess that factor is less important to a lot of fans, largely those who are fans of the larger media... interpretations of the TMNT where they're not portrayed as any kind of a ninja clan but still wanted to keep "ninja" as a buzzword.

To me? It's paramount. TMNT as a concept is pretty wild, but if we can't buy that they're for-real ninja (and not, you know, pretend ninja), then the water falls out of the whole thing.

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
I still find it funny how you keep pressing the opinion that if you're not wearing one solitary color, you can't be a ninja as fact.

Nevermind the fact that red isn't a very ninjaish color in the first place, this "fake ninja" thing of yours is just silly.

But whatever.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
I've never really cared about if the turtles' bandanas were multi colored or red, but for some reason, I prefer red bandanas for IDW.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it just fits the book better.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But keeping the bandannas red is one very small, easy-to-do thing (that already has precedent in... oh, I don't know... the source material itself) to help sell the "These Turtles are supposed to be ninjas" factor. I guess that factor is less important to a lot of fans, largely those who are fans of the larger media... interpretations of the TMNT where they're not portrayed as any kind of a ninja clan but still wanted to keep "ninja" as a buzzword.

To me? It's paramount. TMNT as a concept is pretty wild, but if we can't buy that they're for-real ninja (and not, you know, pretend ninja), then the water falls out of the whole thing.
I just don't get why colored bandanas doesn't make them "real ninjas" - I mean c'mon, real ninjas wouldn't even wear bandanas where the TMNT do. It would most definitely mess with their peripheral vision. Very unwise. So if you're going to go that route, you might as well be anti-bandana, at least that's what would make the most sense for arguing this "real ninja" bit. Red is hardly any better for ninjas than blue, orange, or purple.

Plus, we were told from the onset that IDW was creating a new universe that was heavily influenced by the source material as well as all other TMNT outlets. Not the same as "we're going to totally stick with everything source".

EDIT: Woah! Bobby C. voted "red"! A rift between him and Tommy boy perhaps?! Will Mr. Waltz cast a vote?! Lol!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #26
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I don't think we need to get into why the turtles actually wear bandanas and how red doesn't scream ninja. Tmnt as a whole is one big weird entity. But, Eastman and Laird gave them red because they thought it looked best. It's not the fact that it's the color red, it's the fact that they all wear the same color. Unity. If the creators would have given them all blue, or all orange then we would be in the same place. Giving them different colors is goofy and makes them look like a less legitimate ninja clan.

And I love the 80s toon. I love the movies. I wouldn't want them to wear red in other media. But the comic book turtles should wear red. I know alot of people like the multi-colors. But did you ever stop and think that every other outlet in media gives the turtles the colors. Now, even the comic has colors. Will we ever see all red Tmnt again?
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
They are a clan, and yet they are individuals. The color you wear does not delegitimize anything.
They're still going to be the exact same ninjas we've seen in the last six-seven issues.
They're still going to be hiding in the shadows and dark of night. The way I see it, if they're not strolling around New York City in broad daylight shouting "TURTLE POWER" at the top of their lungs while piloting a blimp, they're still legitimate ninja.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
they're still legitimate ninja.
I still want to see how it's going to go when they're actually fighting other ninja before blowing that trumpet just yet.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #29
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
Well, we'll see in issue 6, by the looks of the preview of page 1 Tom posted a while back.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #30
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post

And I love the 80s toon. I love the movies. I wouldn't want them to wear red in other media. But the comic book turtles should wear red. I know alot of people like the multi-colors. But did you ever stop and think that every other outlet in media gives the turtles the colors. Now, even the comic has colors. Will we ever see all red Tmnt again?
I totally respect that, and you know, it is a good question.

Andrew brings up a good point, we really haven't seen an incredible amount of fighting to really judge that aspect of IDW yet.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
Well, we'll see in issue 6, by the looks of the preview of page 1 Tom posted a while back.
I think you're right. Let's see.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
The Archie TMNT rarely acted as ninjas. So if the IDW TMNT act like the Archie ones, would the color bandanas be justified?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Archie TMNT rarely acted as ninjas. So if the IDW TMNT act like the Archie ones, would the color bandanas be justified?
Sure. I mean, my whole thing with the IDW TMNT and the red bandannas is... it began with them with all red. I kind of went, "Oh! Great, a new comic universe where they're going to be down-to-business, and IDW is taking the ninja thing seriously. Awesome, props for them." Then the bait-and-switch (I call it that not because I necessarily believe it's any kind of pre-conceived cloak-and-dagger thing by IDW, just how it looks) happened and I kind of have to go, "Oh. So no all-red bandannas... well now I'm wondering what's the plan. So far we have the seeds of a lot of other mutants that look like they're going to start popping up, Splinter telling the Turtles they can't kill, Bebop and Rocksteady on the starting line, Krang about to emerge, 'something for the Fred Wolf fans in #7' (because there's been a shortage of that already)... eh, this could all end up being some form of 'badass' when the smoke settles but I'm given very little but cause to be worried at this point." The only thing that reassures me is the quality and far-reaching nature of Tom's writing... I don't think he's a guy that's doing much of anything by chance, and there's a far-reaching plan for just about everything he's weaving (that already gives him a ton of points). I guess I'm only beginning to worry that it might turn out that his far-reaching plan is one that I won't personally be able to be on board with, but that's by no means a slight on him, that's just my own thing.

If we're talking about an adaptation of the Nickelodeon cartoon, or a Fred Wolf cartoon TMNT in print, or anything like that... of course they should bear the rainbow. Proudly. Stamped on their foreheads. Throw the letters on their belts, too, I wouldn't be reading it so I have no invested interest. In fact, to take it a step further and flip it for a moment, I would even go so far as to say it would actually diminish what the red bandannas represent were they to do something along those lines and give them the all-red bandannas.

So I'm reading IDW TMNT and, fingers crossed, waiting and seeing what comes of it. I still don't feel like we quite have a full grasp of the lay of the land of, 1) What the IDW TMNT are all about, 2) How far they will go as ninja, and 3) What their overall mission statement is going to be.

If what we ultimately arrive at is crime-fighters that clean up the streets of mankind's "scum" and go out of their way not to kill anybody (even if it's another trained ninja who is certainly out to kill them), then no... they probably shouldn't be wearing the all-red bandannas.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-18-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #34
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So I'm reading IDW TMNT and, fingers crossed, waiting and seeing what comes of it. I still don't feel like we quite have a full grasp of the lay of the land of, 1) What the IDW TMNT are all about, 2) How far they will go as ninja, and 3) What their overall mission statement is going to be.
This is what I feel too. I'm sure that after a few more issues, we'll get a more complete idea of where this series is going.

As for me, I enjoy both the red and multi-colored bandanas, but I have a more nostalgic place in my heart for the multi-colored, so i'm going with that. I like the colors they chose for the multi-colored Turtles, so it's all good to me.

Besides, I thought the only reason Kevin and Peter had the Turtles all wear red bandanas in the first place was because the only time we'd see the colors was on the covers, so giving them different colors would be kinda pointless since the interior was black and white?
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #35
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
I'm for red, it looks better with the art style, and IDW series couldn't had any better homage to the original comic in a world where the toon bandannas rule.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #36
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
I actually hate the 80's toon.
I prefer the colored.
.... Ouch! Please ...hate is a very strong word ...what about ...80 Toons is my less prefer TMNT universe....!!!???

Just kidding.... This reaction is because I 80 TMNT toons ...Please forgive me!

About the poll... I would prefer the third option....
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #37
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Despite some use of Fred Wolf charachters and no Peter Laird, the format style, art, logo, and tone better represents all-red bandanas. Weapons and skin tones are clearly enough to tell each turtle apart. Though I would accept color bandanas if some thoughtful storyline causes a switchover, or if they are used once as a running gag.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #38
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
I don't see this debate subsiding anytime soon, I think IDW has done a pretty great job so far staying in touch with the fandom and really listening to their comments and concerns. I think the creative team, especially Tom and Bobby really take to heart and care about the fan response. Even though they may say there is nothing planned to switch back I don't see it totally ruled out.

I mean to me it could be as simple as Splinter going missing, whether its by Shredder's hand ala Movie I or by alien hands ala Mirage vol. 1, and the turtles respond by switching to all Red to "unite" in red bands again until they find Splinter.

Again, I actually have 0 preference, I enjoy all TMNT mythos (save for Next Mutation) and really see where both sides are coming from. If IDW decided to continue Mirage vol. 4 just like they did with the Marvel runs of GI JOE and Trans Formers then this would also be a good way to appease the desire for Red bands among fans. I myself certainly would love to see multiple continuities and versions of the turtles, so would totally be up for this.

I guess I can't say enough about the current team, I really enjoy the enthusiasm from everyone on board working on the book, and really like how they are sticking to their guns on the bands for the time being, even though it doesn't seem to be the most popular choice. To me they made it work pretty well and the switch from Red to colored made sense. To me that was the most important thing. Even though I don't have a preference I thought the switch felt natural and worked.

I'm just looking forward to more great stories, although I think my impatience may get the best of me at some points.
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #39
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
Though I would accept color bandanas if some thoughtful storyline causes a switchover, or if they are used once as a running gag.
I see someone is a little behind on their reading.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitoid Jones View Post
This is what I feel too. I'm sure that after a few more issues, we'll get a more complete idea of where this series is going.
I can already feel like its going to turn into a more mature take on the original cartoon with some Mirage elements mixed in. Meaning no "Turtle Power" but its still taking nearly every main element of the old series.

The ONLY Mirage stuff in it so far is a black Baxter Stockman and April working as his assistant. Everything else, even the now pseudo-Hamato Yoshi and Splinter are the same entity again...is taken from the old show.

I strongly believe General Traag will show up at some point too. If Tom is smart he'll do a Triceraton Vs. Krang/Traag/Rock Soldier war over the Fugitoid/Utroms....maybe they'll just ignore the Federation in this adaption.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.