The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #1721
Wes
Mad Scientist
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A very scary place. With crayons!
Posts: 1,607
Well, I pose my figures -- but I'm not so arrogant that I'd scoff at calling it "playing" with them! Because it is totally playing with them, just in a different way.

But if you're not going to pick them up and handle them, I don't see the point of buying action figures. You'd be much happier with statues -- the sculpting and paint would (usually) be so much better and you wouldn't have those "ugly" joints breaking up the sculpt.
__________________


* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?


Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #1722
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Well, I pose my figures -- but I'm not so arrogant that I'd scoff at calling it "playing" with them! Because it is totally playing with them, just in a different way.

But if you're not going to pick them up and handle them, I don't see the point of buying action figures. You'd be much happier with statues -- the sculpting and paint would (usually) be so much better and you wouldn't have those "ugly" joints breaking up the sculpt.
I take about half and leave them in the box. Play with most of the ones I already have. And Pose the ones I open.
Play: Shredder Foot Ninjas Kraang April DogPound Fishface Metalhead Leatherhead Stinkweed
Pose: Raphael Michelangelo
In Box: Leonardo Donatello
I'm not getting that ugly new splinter toy!
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #1723
TMNTdude87
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Canadian View Post
jesus! wtf makes people think these things are worth that much?
Well exclusives sell for more on the open market and since they are often given as freebies to the press most of them hand them off as presents to their kids or save em for a rainy day. I've only seen Mike and Raph pop up on ebay once each in a three month span. So when one does pop up there is a collector frenzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleltheking View Post
I preordered the 2012 figures today. Can't wait to get them in. Hopefully I ordered the more detailed ones, I'm sure I did though.
No you did not. The mega detailed ones are only available as freebies (as mentioned above) to generate buzz for the toyline to retailers and selected press and to get retailers into making some orders for the new toyline. TMNT has been basically dead since 07. Most people never really cared or knew about the 03 relaunch too, playmates is really trying hard to keep interest in this line going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
When you ordered your figures, you didn't know what you ordered? That's something you should be clear on when you order. I mean, you're spending $200, I'd be sure if I were you.

Stepping off my high horse now, from what I understand, the pictures in the first post are the first renditions of the toys, with NICE paint jobs, colored weapons, a CHAIN on Mikey's nunchucks, etc.

The toys WE will get? 'No detail' paintjob, with very muted colors, same-colored monochrome weapons (a la '88 Turtles), no chain, etc.
Not to offend anyone but to those on here that do not know how toy marketing and production works. This is not a supposed bait and switch, it's simple marketing and practicality, and it's not the first time this has happened. They produce a hand painted prototype, and they photo it. Then the hard copy is sent to accounting, they then look at the photos and make changes to reduce costs, they cut some details, weapons, and paint apps, after its okayed it sent to the factory and mass produced. It happens every time a toy is released, and as always, some idiots throw a fit!

The chain on Mike's chucks obviously belong to Classics Mike but Playmates thought it would better be presented on the main toon figure to generate the buzz.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #1724
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTdude87 View Post



No you did not. The mega detailed ones are only available as freebies (as mentioned above) to generate buzz for the toyline to retailers and selected press and to get retailers into making some orders for the new toyline. TMNT has been basically dead since 07. Most people never really cared or knew about the 03 relaunch too, playmates is really trying hard to keep interest in this line going.

Yeah, I got that they won't look exactlly like what was pictured. As long as I don't get the sound fx ones, them I'm fine.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #1725
Freeman
Hench Mutant
 
Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Sebastian - Spain
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The mass produced figures probably won't look that good.
Hey guys! Sorry to pic up soooooooo late into this thread, but I'm kindda back into the forum with this new release.
The big question for me is: will the new style figures have the awesome wash painting and metalish weapon or simple blank brown crappy ones?

There are different versions around the net and I don't know wich are more close to the actual final product... Anyone for help?
__________________
Long is the way of learning.
Endless the way of perfection.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1726
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"
 
DonatelloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,764
It's in this thread somewhere, but I understand you not wanting to explore it. But yes, most likely, the mass produced ones will have single color weapons and not-so-great paintjobs.
__________________
My Pixel Paintings:

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #1727
Freeman
Hench Mutant
 
Freeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Sebastian - Spain
Posts: 480
Thanks for the fast answear!
Yeah 90 pages is a lot to look around XD
If this is the case, this could take from "yeah I'm getting them all" to "don't even think about it..."

Personally, I don't think doing them in the awesome way would be so more expensive to produce...
__________________
Long is the way of learning.
Endless the way of perfection.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #1728
TMNTdude87
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 72
The pics I've found with the closest to the final product would be the ToyFair photos. As for the weapon colors. The bladed weapons will be molded in grey or perhaps silver plastic, and the wooden weapons will be brown.

I've also done the search for you pg 39 has the best detailed pics of the turtles moc from the Fair.

Last edited by TMNTdude87; 04-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #1729
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTdude87 View Post
The pics I've found with the closest to the final product would be the ToyFair photos. As for the weapon colors. The bladed weapons will be molded in grey or perhaps silver plastic, and the wooden weapons will be brown.
Yep, and sadly it's a down grade from the 4kids based figures who, at least in early waves, had painted weapons. Then again, these are smaller than those were, right? Have we seen side by sides for these and the 4kids figures?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #1730
TMNTdude87
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 72
I have not seen any side by side comparison pics yet, but I'm sure in the coming months close to release those onlines reviewer Pixel Dan for example and the posters on here will have em up.

It is unfortunate that paint apps are missing, but in 2003 the economy was for the most part stable and gas was (at least in my area) 1.75 a gallon. I bet with simpler times (lol) Playmates could afford to put those extra details in the then new toyline. In these troubling economic times with gas prices at close to or in some areas over 4 bucks a gallon and with the Star Trek movie line putting them in debt most likely, it's understandable from a business point of view that this toyline would look substantial in some areas.

Last edited by TMNTdude87; 04-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #1731
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTdude87 View Post
I have not seen any side by side pix yet but I'm sure in the coming months close to release those online reviewer Pixel Dan and those other reviewers and the posters here will have em up. It is unfortunate that paint apps are missing though but in 2003 the economy was for the most part stable and gas was (at least in my area) 1.75 a gallon. I bet with simpler times lol Playmates could afford to put those extra details in the then new toyline. In these troubling economic times with gas prices at close to or in some areas over 4 bucks a gallon and with Star Trek putting them in debt most likely, it's understandable from a business point of view that this toyline would look substantial.
Wat.....

.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1732
TMNTdude87
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Wat.....
Ahahaha clever. I simply was pointing out how gas prices have increased dramatically during the past couple of years or so, and considering Playmates pays for transporting their toys the rediculous cost of fuel would most likely take a chunk out of their budget. Look at their Star Trek line from 2009. Those were some bad sculpts lousy paint apps and I think a buttload spent in marketing left with a situation where many toys were left unsold due to the lack of quality. BBTS and EE still has Enterprises on their sites reduced but no ones buying. In fact my TRU still has 2-3 bargin bins full of Star Trek toys. With only so much in their budget they have to cut costs on some things.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #1733
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTdude87 View Post
Ahahaha clever. I simply was pointing out how gas prices have increased dramatically during the past couple of years or so, and considering Playmates pays for transporting their toys the rediculous cost of fuel would most likely take a chunk out of their budget. Look at their Star Trek line from 2009. Those were some bad sculpts lousy paint apps and I think a buttload spent in marketing left with a situation where many toys were left unsold due to the lack of quality. BBTS and EE still has Enterprises on their sites reduced but no ones buying. In fact my TRU still has 2-3 bargin bins full of Star Trek toys. With only so much in their budget they have to cut costs on some things.
Dude action figures in general have gone up almost 100% since 2005. I remember buying Marvel Legends or DC Universe figures for around $7.00. Now they're $14.00. Gas prices may have a little to do with it, but EVERYTHING has gone up.

And yes, Playmates last Star Trek outing probably hurt a bunch. I see the basic 4 inch figures deep discounted at the local Fred's discount store.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #1734
Ravenxl7
Stone Warrior
 
Ravenxl7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 488
I'm loving the look of the toy so far. It is a little disappointing that the basic figures lost their second knee hinge, but oh well. They're still more articulated than any TMNT figures I've ever had previously. Should be interesting to see what all that scale will entail in the future of the line.

I like the look of the vehicles so far. I was initially very interested in the shellraiser, but the price-point is a little off-putting. I'll wait for a review or two before making a decision on it. I'll probably get the skateboard for Mikey.

The lair set is very nice looking, and it's refreshing to see a large playset again. However it's definitely something I'll be skipping. I'd rather build my own lair for them, tbh. Partly because it would be kinda fun to do...also partly because I don't think the retail set is worth what they're asking for it, lol.

I just now found out about the Battle Shell figures. They sound kind of interesting, but I'll stick to the basic figures. For 10-11" tall figures they don't look all that bad. I might get a Donatello in an impulse buy. Though since I rarely ever go to TRU, that's unlikely to happen.

The classic turtles look great, and I appreciate them going with the 6" scale for these. I'll at least be getting a Donatello, though I have the feeling I'll get the whole team before the year is out. I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do when this inevitably succeeds at retail. Shredder, Splinter, and April should be the first three on the list for wave two. I imagine if they stick with four to a wave, that Casey would be the fourth to that list. I'd love to see them expand this past the old cartoon (like the one guy said they might). Some ubber articulated figures based on the old movies would be great.
__________________
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #1735
TMNTdude87
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Dude action figures in general have gone up almost 100% since 2005. I remember buying Marvel Legends or DC Universe figures for around $7.00. Now they're $14.00. Gas prices may have a little to do with it, but EVERYTHING has gone up.
Rising oil and gas prices are a major cause of the inflated prices of the stuff we buy. Not only is gas used for transporting from factory to warehouse to retail outlets but used for energy as well, just about everything we need to survive will go up in price as a result of high gas prices. This includes our food supply, and our clothing, and vast materialistic goods, which depend on enormous amounts of diesel to fuel tractors. In 2003 gas was about 1.75 a gallon in my area. With much unrest in the mideast supplies are limited and with an economic recovery underway supply is demanded more than ever, which leads into a rise of prices and a predicted 5.00 gas prices by summer 2012.

There's another factor to be taken into account, sprialing inflation. Remember the comics boom of the 80's into the mid 90's? Comics went from 75 cents to 1.95 in the span of just 8 years, when publishers were printing single issues more and more with multiple printings and by 1991 a single print run would be by the millions. That would further drive up the cost of paper and the prices of each book. People were buying up Superman 75 because they thought the book would be valuable someday. This would be called sprialing inflation, when we buy so much in fear that it's gonna cost more later, or simply buy a lot of something that is popular, heating up the economy and driving up prices on stuff.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #1736
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
Shredder, Splinter, and April should be the first three on the list for wave two.
No April. For god's sake no April.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #1737
Ravenxl7
Stone Warrior
 
Ravenxl7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
No April. For god's sake no April.
I don't think past failures with her action figures should keep them from making her in the new Classics line. With how detailed and articulated the turtles are, I'm confident that their April will be just as good.

Only character I'm not really enthused about when it comes to these Classics, is Krang. I've never really been a fan of his exo-suit. Though if they make him, I'll still most definitely get him. Would be hard to have Shredder and not Krang too.
__________________
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #1738
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I don't think past failures with her action figures should keep them from making her in the new Classics line. With how detailed and articulated the turtles are, I'm confident that their April will be just as good.

Only character I'm not really enthused about when it comes to these Classics, is Krang. I've never really been a fan of his exo-suit. Though if they make him, I'll still most definitely get him. Would be hard to have Shredder and not Krang too.
The Neca April was a fantastic figure in and of itself. But that didn't stop that release from officially killing the Neca line.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #1739
Ravenxl7
Stone Warrior
 
Ravenxl7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
The Neca April was a fantastic figure in and of itself. But that didn't stop that release from officially killing the Neca line.
I didn't know Neca had made an April figure (I don't follow them). If the April figure really was the demise of that line...I'm not really sure why that should mean that Playmates should stay away from making an April figure for their Classics line.

The demise of one line doesn't mean the same will happen for another. I'm unaware of the circumstances that lead to the Neca line's death, but I honestly doubt the April figure was the only factor.
__________________
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #1740
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
I didn't know Neca had made an April figure (I don't follow them). If the April figure really was the demise of that line...I'm not really sure why that should mean that Playmates should stay away from making an April figure for their Classics line.

The demise of one line doesn't mean the same will happen for another. I'm unaware of the circumstances that lead to the Neca line's death, but I honestly doubt the April figure was the only factor.
No offense, but considering you didn't even know about Neca making that April figure, I'd say you are fairly out of the loop in the turtle collecting world. Neca said they were going to release April to test the market for secondary characters. They released it as an SDCC Exclusive, with a green and yellow jumpsuit variant to follow. But those were cancelled, and then the line officially died. If they decided to release say, a Shredder as the Exclusive instead, I think there is a good chance that the line might have continued. Shredder would have sold way more than April. But that line had many variables with contract,ect. Plus Playmates. But in the end, Neca dropped the ball. Bigtime.

Playmates said that if the ''Classics'' turtles sell well, we can expect to see other character in that line get released. If they decide to do and April and see low sales from her, they might think twice about releasing more characters.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
playmates toys


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.