The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #201
Xiewin
Stone Warrior
 
Xiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Ok, let me put it this way since you don't understand:

I do not like the old toon. Also, I think a lot of the Mirage stories are dumb and boring. But I appreciate that people like those incarnations. It's not bad, just not something I'll ever like. But so what? They aren't wrong for liking it and I'm not wrong for disliking it.

The divide over this movie has a lot to do with people having hopes and expectations that a certain tone or version or whatever was going to be portrayed...and it wasn't. Some can get by that some can't.

The rest are just movie spergs who automatically hate anything "Bay" and can't get past that.

Well I dont like the old cartoon, nor do I really care for the Mirage comics at the moment. It really wouldn't matter to me if it was either a dark or a light tone, the movie was just terribly done.

It was just a very bad film in my opinion.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #202
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant
 
LeoRaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 357
Quote:
The divide over this movie has a lot to do with people having hopes and expectations that a certain tone or version or whatever was going to be portrayed...and it wasn't. Some can get by that some can't.

The rest are just movie spergs who automatically hate anything "Bay" and can't get past that.
The 'Divide' over this movie is mostly and simply those who just wanted a good story that did justice to the franchise regardless of tone.

Yeah, there are those like me who prefer a darker tone with subtle humour but still this movie failed on basic storytelling in every single way. Casting and designs aside which were questionable to begin with but NOT the main problem you are left with the script...the bastard child of blue door. They really didn't improve much on it did they? Mix that in with some very poor dumber than dumb choices in terms of physics, no character development, needless creepy harassment sexual humour from a beloved character and generic hulk smash fight scenes for highly trained skilled ninjas and you have a BAAAAAAAD Movie whether it is TMNT or not. (and these are only some things of where this movie failed from a storytelling point of view)

If any other franchise were treated like TMNT was here I guarantee you there would be as much as a divide. Imagine if they did this to a Marvel or DC Franchise...

So yeah, the divide is more than I wanted the movie this way or the I hate bay camp, it's simply I wanted something good because the TMNT franchise and fans at least deserve that and I got crap.

Last edited by LeoRaph; 10-04-2014 at 10:06 AM.
LeoRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #203
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Exactly. We wanted a good movie. We didn't get one. The divide comes from those that despite all the flaws that are smacking them in the face every five seconds in the movie, still claim it's a good movie and violently defend it. You kinda can't say a movie is good if you have to say 'well the movie is good despite this, that, this, and then that, and also...'. That kinda takes away the fact that it's actually good.

There's also the fact that if you're doing a super new complete new take without basing it on anything that came before it..... then why even call it as such? Just make your own movie about something new and original then if you can't get the story right. If you're gonna make Batman fly and shoot lasers and have metallic arms, that still has his parents alive and well and it takes place in East LA, why even call it Batman?

I swear this almost feels like it was some weird movie about aliens fighting an invading robot with an army of soldiers or whatever.... and that flopped, but to save money, let's just add a few changes here and there, a couple of references, slap the TMNT label on it and we can market this as a TMNT movie instead. I know that's not the case, but I honestly would not be surprised if years down the line in some tv show looking back someone would come out and be like 'well we had this script lying around about alien heroes that we filmed some stuff for and didn't wanna throw it out and we remembered that TMNT was getting popular again so.....'
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #204
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Ok, let me put it this way since you don't understand:

I do not like the old toon. Also, I think a lot of the Mirage stories are dumb and boring. But I appreciate that people like those incarnations. It's not bad, just not something I'll ever like. But so what? They aren't wrong for liking it and I'm not wrong for disliking it.

The divide over this movie has a lot to do with people having hopes and expectations that a certain tone or version or whatever was going to be portrayed...and it wasn't. Some can get by that some can't.

The rest are just movie spergs who automatically hate anything "Bay" and can't get past that.
I understood you perfectly clear, which is why I was able to state clearly that you are wrong. We want good writing, good acting, a plot without holes, & ninja stuff. Didn't really get any of that. Not a matter of bias for expectation rooted in past versions. You'd know that if you had been actively participating in discussion here, but instead you wanna waltz in like the almighty whatever, & act like you know what's what without having read any of our reviews.

BUT HEY I LOVE THAT YOU SAID THAT EVERYONE WHO DISLIKES THE MOVIE HAS ASPERGERS SYNDROME THAT'S REALLY COOL & PROGRESSIVE
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #205
Warboss74
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 230
My hatred for this film has nothing to do with it not being closer to my ideal version. (Although my ideal version would borrow from all versions to create a definitive TMNT experience) My hatred stems from it being a horrible film that mistreats characters I love. It also stems from destroying it's own internal logic at every turn to push the plot forward.

I'll stand by my assessment that it's probably the worst thing I've seen.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #206
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Yea, but every movie has its flaws. Even the ones you just mentioned had WTF moments...
Spoiler:
like remember at the end of The Avengers when all the Chitauri conveniently go dead after Iron Man sent the nuke?
There's no such thing as a flawless movie but that shouldn't be a pass to excuse movies that have an abundance of flaws.

Yes the example you gave is silly but it's hardly unique to Avengers. You might argue that it's not necessarily flaw per se but imagine this; if earlier in the movie Loki or The Other had given a speech about how the Chitauri were completely independent beings un-reliant on any power source and then they shut down when their ship goes boom then it would be a flaw as it contradicts what's earlier been said. I think TMNT 2014 has stuff that is just like that.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #207
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
The divide over this movie has a lot to do with people having hopes and expectations that a certain tone or version or whatever was going to be portrayed...and it wasn't. Some can get by that, some can't.
That's sometimes a part of it, but there are enough things in this movie to criticize from a simple writing/storytelling perspective that tanked it for a lot of people. And plenty of us have very clearly and thoroughly explained what those are.

Honestly, TMNT fans are very used to different takes on the property and generally adapt pretty well. Like Powder said, the Nick show and the IDW comic are both all about combining elements from very disparate versions of the property into their own new cohesive wholes, and both of them are very popular around here. So I don't think it's fair to say that's the whole reason the movie's divisive. For a lot of us, it's just because the movie was pretty badly written and produced.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 10-04-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #208
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
That's sometimes a part of it, but there are enough things in this movie to criticize from a simple writing/storytelling perspective that tanked it for a lot of people. And plenty of us have very clearly and thoroughly explained what those are.

Honestly, TMNT fans are very used to different takes on the property and generally adapt pretty well. Like Powder said, the Nick show and the IDW comic are both all about combining elements from very disparate versions of the property into their own new cohesive wholes, and both of them are very popular around here. So I don't think it's fair to say that's the whole reason the movie's divisive. For a lot of us, it's just because the movie was pretty badly written and produced.
You forgot the other half of the divide. The blind fanboys that feel the movie can do no wrong cause hey, turtles.... And are also in stubborn denial that this movie was just plain bad for a kazillion reasons already stated time and time again.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #209
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You forgot the other half of the divide. The blind fanboys that feel the movie can do no wrong cause hey, turtles.... And are also in stubborn denial that this movie was just plain bad for a kazillion reasons already stated time and time again.
I mean, I don't expect that everyone's going to see it the way I do, or have the same expectations about this movie, or any movie in particular. For a lot of people I'm sure this hit the right notes. That's fine for them. That's a matter of personal taste and everyone's entitled to their own.

But I really don't like the insinuation that not liking this movie solely comes down to closed-mindedness or bias. I honestly feel there was a lot in this movie that was objectively bad, especially in the writing. And I don't think there should be a problem with saying that. Actually, I think it's been pretty roundly proven by this point.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #210
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,163
Enough Coola we get it you hate this movie move on with your life. You can't except that some people enjoyed this movie.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #211
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You forgot the other half of the divide. The blind fanboys that feel the movie can do no wrong cause hey, turtles.... And are also in stubborn denial that this movie was just plain bad for a kazillion reasons already stated time and time again.
Why must you continue with this "People that liked it are in denial" crap?
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #212
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Why must you continue with this "People that liked it are in denial" crap?
He can't stomach that anyone actually liked the movie. he also won't stop his crusade that his opinion that its bad is fact.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #213
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
He can't stomach that anyone actually liked the movie. he also won't stop his crusade that his opinion that its bad is fact.
It's not any less of a fact than saying Legend of Chun Li, Catwoman, Electra, X Men Last Stand and the first Hulk movie were bad.

I have seen some people that did honestly like this movie and gave some very valid reasons for doing so. Most everyone else however.... did seem pretty bias, and mostly lost to their own blind fanboyism.

It's not some crusade. It's just the way it is. We've already gone back and compared the previous movies and how they fared as time went on. Opinions are pretty spot on on the first four movies, which ones were good, which ones were bad and the reasons why, with of course those with differing opinions. This is the only movie with such a strong divide, and it's mostly due to those that just can't see past the label and see this effortless hack of a movie for what it is.

Sorry but those that like this crap for little more than 'hey it's turtles' are comparable to those that like the Transformers movies only cause 'hey, giant robots'. The sequels are crap, yet they continue to make big bucks. And more sequels will come. Cause people keep seeing them. As long as Bay and Co don't see a decrease in sales, they'll just keep crankin em out. And you're basically letting them win by admit you'd rather see a mindless waste of time over an actual well-done movie. Honestly, with numbers like these, why should they even try with a sequel? They can honestly do whatever crap they want, just toss in Bebop and Rocksteady for 20 minutes and you have a garaunteed number 1 for a few weekends.

Call it a crusade, or hatred, or 'not being able to stomach it' or whatever. I'm just saying how things really are. I can also turn around and say you guys 'can't stomach' the fact that your oh-so-perfect movie isn't actually all that good.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 10-04-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #214
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It's not any less of a fact than saying Legend of Chun Li, Catwoman, Electra, X Men Last Stand and the first Hulk movie were bad.

I have seen some people that did honestly like this movie and gave some very valid reasons for doing so. Most everyone else however.... did seem pretty bias, and mostly lost to their own blind fanboyism.

It's not some crusade. It's just the way it is. We've already gone back and compared the previous movies and how they fared as time went on. Opinions are pretty spot on on the first four movies, which ones were good, which ones were bad and the reasons why, with of course those with differing opinions. This is the only movie with such a strong divide, and it's mostly due to those that just can't see past the label and see this effortless hack of a movie for what it is.

Sorry but those that like this crap for little more than 'hey it's turtles' are comparable to those that like the Transformers movies only cause 'hey, giant robots'. The sequels are crap, yet they continue to make big bucks. And more sequels will come. Cause people keep seeing them. As long as Bay and Co don't see a decrease in sales, they'll just keep crankin em out. And you're basically letting them win by admit you'd rather see a mindless waste of time over an actual well-done movie. Honestly, with numbers like these, why should they even try with a sequel? They can honestly do whatever crap they want, just toss in Bebop and Rocksteady for 20 minutes and you have a garaunteed number 1 for a few weekends.

Call it a crusade, or hatred, or 'not being able to stomach it' or whatever. I'm just saying how things really are. I can also turn around and say you guys 'can't stomach' the fact that your oh-so-perfect movie isn't actually all that good.
Whatever...
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #215
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
What ever you say...
That's exactly what I think when people act like this movie is so awesome. And for those that are actually eager to spend 80 bucks on it just cause it comes with a Raph statue online.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #216
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That's exactly what I think when people act like this movie is so awesome. And for those that are actually eager to spend 80 bucks on it just cause it comes with a Raph statue online.
I'm saving up for that statue/DvD.
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #217
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
I'm saving up for that statue/DvD.
..whatever you say...
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #218
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
..whatever you say...
That's why we're getting a sequel.. look whether you or any other TMNT fans like it or not, these Turtles are here to Stay! in what is likely to be a trilogy.

evidently the majority of people liked the movie!
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #219
Katie
Just...way too serious.
 
Katie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: purgatory
Posts: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

BUT HEY I LOVE THAT YOU SAID THAT EVERYONE WHO DISLIKES THE MOVIE HAS ASPERGERS SYNDROME THAT'S REALLY COOL & PROGRESSIVE
Hahaha. I didn't say that. I said that most of the problem was one of expectation. The REST were movie spergs who hate Bay.

just because I don't post it doesn't mean I haven't been reading. So, again, my opinions are based on observation of all the posts in this section.

What do I see?

-there was too much April. (Expectation issue)
-the action was not ninja/not full of turtles/ whatever (expectation issue)
-the plot was weak (expectation issue)
-the origin story was weak and dumb (huge expectation issue)

....then there's
-I'll never watch this movie because of Bay/ Megan Fox/ the N O S T R I L S.

I think judging ANY movie without seeing it is ridiculous. period.

But whatever. I was only giving my opinion and you raged on me. that's how this place has become.


people say that the "like the movie" crowd has nostalgia glasses on. I could go on and on about the nostalgia glasses of the "dislike the movie" camp but I can see that it would not be worth my effort. I'd only get childish rage in response.
__________________
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #220
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I "raged" on you for making generalizations about a large group based on the cries of one or two extremists, & for accusing those who dislike the work of Michael Bay of being autistic. Call my responses childish all you want, but I think you're the one who's maturity is to be questioned.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sequel


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.