The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #261
Bob
Stone Warrior
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK, England
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
And, it should be noted that it wasn't just TMNT fans making a massive deal about the "alien" thing, it was "average joes" too. At the very least, they will take the negative attention that got- and yes, it went beyond just fan sites and forums- into consideration, whether or not they it is kept in the film, which it probably will.
I disagree. The “Average Joe” hasn’t really said much, as the vast majority probably don’t even know about all this hoo-ha. The Average Joe’s you’re referring to are people who run movie news sites and blogs and whatnot. They’re not really Average Joes, either, but just people jumping along for the ride. They exist within the same sphere as Internet fanboys. Also, and it has to be noted, there are a lot of people out there who outright hate Michael Bay, so they'll always jump at the chance to partake in a witch hunt when Bay is involved. I doubt that many of them truly care about TMNT.

By “Average Joes”, I mean the people who don’t really read movie news sites, post on forums or who know nothing of a film before watching it apart from the trailer. The kind of people that just treats going to the cinema as a night out. Those are the kinds of people that the studios are seeking to capture the attention of. And, reading the script, it really does read like the kind of film that has the potential to do well with the “Average Joes”. All the major ingredients are there.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #262
figdonpat
Random Punk
 
figdonpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 21
PM of script

I've been off the grid for a few days. Any way someone could send me a link to the script too? It's been taken down from the tmntnottant blog and the associated google doc. Thanks!
__________________
Host of the Turtle Power Podcast
figdonpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #263
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 737
I know we try to keep it clean here on the 'Drome but this was ****ing awful. This wasn't anything like revisions being made to the story, this was the whole thing being changed from the ground up. This script reads like someone tried to do to the Ninja Turtles what those idiots did with the Super Mario Bros. movie.

And I disagree that a few vocal fans didn't make a difference. There was a ton of negative press on this thing, and with all the faithful adaptations of comics lately (Spider-Man, Batman, Avengers, Judge Dredd, etc) and the terrible failure of non-faithful adaptions (Catwoman), you've got to believe the studio figured out "this thing will flop, hard." And it would have.

Col Schrader? SERIOUSLY????
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #264
n-zero
Foot Soldier
 
n-zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Just that an army of fully trained ninjas in this day and age is silly too.

It worked pretty well here:

n-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #265
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
i actually kinda liked it. it's not what i personally would have written, nor was it my ultimateOHMYGODnerdgasm dream TMNT film, but come on... it would be a FUN movie! i can't say that much for anything else in the film franchise, aside for barron's film.

my personal opinion-- save shredder and the foot for the sequel, nix the TMNT as alien approach and go with the TCRI ooze from dimension x angle, and make april our main lens into this world, not casey. i can see why the suits don't want april as our main human protagonist, and it's BS.

anyway, you nut bars can't tell me that the first bit of the facility break-out wouldn't be a riot to see. i'll be there opening night with a belly full of deep dish, and a huge grin on my face.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #266
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I disagree. The “Average Joe” hasn’t really said much, as the vast majority probably don’t even know about all this hoo-ha. The Average Joe’s you’re referring to are people who run movie news sites and blogs and whatnot. They’re not really Average Joes, either, but just people jumping along for the ride.
I'm not talking about movie blogs. I'm talking about my facebook and twitter accounts lighting up from friends, relatives, and people I 100% know aren't die hard ninja turtle fans. Even people who haven't watched Ninja Turtles since they were in grade school were making fun of it. The usual comment was "Umm.. it's called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. "

Was it the biggest controversy ever? No, but you are really underestimating it.

The action, humor, and effects were going to be there always. No matter what was going to be written, it was going to have those "ingredients." In fact, most tentpole action films have that combination. That's pretty much a given. However, clearly the studio didn't have too much faith in what they were doing. Their problems, reportedly, weren't just nudging the budget down, but a dissatisfaction with the script itself.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 08-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #267
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMaster4 View Post
[*]And three, he says peter laird sent him a letter........[/LIST]no seriously, that's what he said, here, look what "peter" had to say! http://tmntnottant.blogspot.com/2012...aked-tant.html

do you seriously think peter would say that, he's trying to stay away from tmnt for one thing, and secondly


"It reminds me of one of the reasons I am glad to not own the property anymore... because I don't have to tear what little hair I have left out while trying to fix junk like this."

i don't think he would been that out going on the alein subject. remember what he said about it when it first came up? He tryed not to get the fans mad, and tried not to sound interested. And now he openly speaks about it like that! here, read it and refresh your memory! http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....as-aliens.html

Also, you'd thik you would see it on his blog or something, but no.
He didn't say Peter sent him a letter he said someone posted a comment on Peter Laird's blog, and linked him to the TANT script and yeah it was in his blog. Peter also said this.
Quote:
John, I think the script that I read is so fundamentally flawed, and -- more to the point -- so NOT a Teenage Mutant NInja Turtles movie, that trying to make piecemeal changes to it in an effort to make it into something halfway decent is probably a fool's errand.

In my opinion, the thing should just be tossed out, deliberately forgotten, and the process of generating a new script -- really a new outline, then treatment, then script -- should be started again. I have no insider knowledge of what's going on with the movie, but from the bits and pieces that have slipped out, it seems like that may be exactly what is happening.

While we're on the subject of this script... I have to say that while reading it, and especially reading the last twenty pages or so, I couldn't help but think of the brouhaha which erupted a few months back when Michael Bay was heard to say that in the upcoming movie, the Turtles would be revealed to be "from an alien race", and following that, all the mental gymnastics indulged in by people who wanted to parse his words and make it seem like "No, he didn't REALLY say they were going to be ALIENS!"… and then this script makes it way out onto the Internet, and if it is legitimate, it's painfully clear that YES, the Turtles WERE, in fact, going to be ALIENS. -- PL
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....l#comment-form
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #268
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-zero View Post
It worked pretty well here:

You're talking to the wrong person if you really want to use a clip from that series to sell something.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #269
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
If you can accept 4 giant walking talking turtles and one rat you can accept an army of highly trained ninjas. Especially since this script goes one step further and also has a walking talking Rhino and warthog as well as a disembodied brain. But highly trained ninjas, those are ridiculous.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #270
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #271
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,791
Why did they come up with the idea to make them aliens in the first place? Seriously, what brought about that decision?

Did they seriously think alien turtles would be easier to accept than mutant turtles? Considering we all accepted them just fine 25 years ago when we were all kids...what the hell were they thinking?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #272
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
They weren't.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #273
Antrax
Hench Mutant
 
Antrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 305
Could someone please PM me a link to the script? Thanks
Antrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #274
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Lol, I can't believe I'm virtually the only one who thought it would make a really rad elseworld flick.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #275
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Am I to just accept I will never be wowed again or is it really too much to ask that they should put forth effort to please new and old fans alike?
1. Sadly.... YES.

2. Sadly... YES.

Furthermore, I think some people spend way too much time on the internet. Because whenever I've asked anyone in real life if they're excited or worried about the new TMNT movie - and a lot of these people are at least somewhat aware of TMNT, either as former fans or parents of fans - I've yet to hear any response other than, "They're making another TMNT movie? Seriously?"

2/3s of the "real world" don't even know the movie exists as even an idea. Makes it easy to understand why/how movie studios feel justified taking such liberties with such "well-known" properties, doesn't it? Believe it or not, MOST people don't use the internet to obsess over movies and cartoons. They tend to be boring people by and large, but they don't live in caves, either.

I've given up. I will see it in theaters, since I'm a fan and I've seen worse, but I now know for a fact that any TMNT movie we ever get in the future will just be swill. The fact that even one person thought this script had a shot shows exactly what the people making it were aiming for. They're not gonna change the entire thing just to please a bunch of nerds. If anything they'll show less of Dimension X and fewer "Turtle Warriors" and that'll keep the budget under control, but unless the film gets pushed back until 2015 a lot of the aborted script will still be in there. They simply don't have time to start over if they're still pretending it'll be out by 2014 (Spoiler: It won't be).
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #276
figdonpat
Random Punk
 
figdonpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by figdonpat View Post
I've been off the grid for a few days. Any way someone could send me a link to the script too? It's been taken down from the tmntnottant blog and the associated google doc. Thanks!
I've got it now. Thanks everyone! Reading it over now and I'll post my reactions later.
__________________
Host of the Turtle Power Podcast
figdonpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #277
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
please don't call vol 4 issue 23's story garbage man!... I for one really liked it a lot..it was a creepy idea and interesting t read through and then?bam-deal with it!...there are many interesting directions to go from there I guess showing how april is dealing with that information..it'S the old song:if you don't like it doesn't make it garbage...
same is the rule for this movie.none of us knows anything specifc about it to be honest(hey-maybe the people in the studios don't even know anything for certain these days)..I was showered in cold water when I read this 'script' here..and judging from paramounts letter published on ninja pizza yesterday(?) it seems to have been associated with the real thing at least...but a movie is a product with MANY steps in betweeen and many processes before we get what we can see on the canvas in the end..and this could have easily been just one try by someone uring the way...I cannot see kevin's words and other people who were involved, their statements in cnnection with THIS being what they ended up talking about...if you listen to this podcast with the tmnt documentary guys even they are talking about what they have seen or experienced around this new incarnation...hmmm#
I just wouldn't want to see such a movie in the end...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #278
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you can accept 4 giant walking talking turtles and one rat you can accept an army of highly trained ninjas. Especially since this script goes one step further and also has a walking talking Rhino and warthog as well as a disembodied brain. But highly trained ninjas, those are ridiculous.
I love how everyone seems to ignore what I just said in previous posts. I called the army of ninjas silly when some other guy was saying the foot not being ninjas doesn't make sense and is unrealistic. It's all stupid!

I still prefer Robots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Lol, I can't believe I'm virtually the only one who thought it would make a really rad elseworld flick.
I'm there too. It's kind of a neat idea for an alternate universe story but the fanbase isn't large enough to even entertain the thought of a story that isn't the same thing for the millionth time.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@

Last edited by The Stryker; 08-28-2012 at 05:56 AM.
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #279
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It[']s Star Wars meets Ninja Turtles.
No, its Transformers meets Ninja Turtles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #280
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
LOL, I can't believe I'm virtually the only one who thought it would make a really rad elseworld flick.
I could see it making an interesting elseworld comic book, but certainly not a feature film.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988


Last edited by Jephael; 08-28-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
depressing, gay


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.