The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
No...no...Andrew's Law is: "Nothing beats the original..."
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
azrael
Mad Scientist
 
azrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: loganville, ga
Posts: 1,362
I keep seeing the term "Bait and Switch" which I feel IDW did not do. They said they would have all red bandanas which they did, they never said it was going to be there forever.

Bait and Switch would be what DC did with the Huntress advertise and talk about it like it was going to be Helena B. then about the 4rth issue in they switch her last name to Wayne (The selina and bruce's daughter from another reality). Which btw DC promoted that book as Helena B.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-h...the-huntress-2

Even though it was boring I supported it because I support characters. Unless they are god awful books (Batgirl Im looking at you!)
__________________
Creator of The Death Poppets
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #43
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior
 
TonySiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No need to Crisler's Law yourself.
Who is this Crisler character you speak of? And no, one does not simply get "over it" in regards to red bandanas and Michael Bay's reoccurring atrocities.
__________________



"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #44
strugler
Thug
 
strugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
I am sure i am in the minority here, but i was pissed off when i saw that idw gave the turtles all red bandannas. and was extremely happy when they got their colored ones.

I grew up with both the 87 cartoons and the mirage comics, and i always thought it was confusing when reading the comics in black and white and some turtles is talking in a panel and is not holding his weapon, you would have no idea which one is he, you will have to wait for him to grab his weapon or another turtle calls him by his name, which was very annoying for me. Now that the IDW comic is in colors, having them all wear red will have the same effect as the B/W mirage comics.
__________________


Visit www.tmntlair.com, your one stop source for everything Ninja turtles related.
strugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #45
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael View Post
I keep seeing the term "Bait and Switch" which I feel IDW did not do. They said they would have all red bandanas which they did, they never said it was going to be there forever.
To quote Hank Hill:

"No, no, it's Bait and Bait!"

__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #46
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No...no...Andrew's Law is: "Nothing beats the original..."
Its funny because I think "nothing beats the original cartoon". Its all about perference and how we want to see our favorite heroes. Neither are right yet both ideas are right. Its up to the individual. How much of one source should be influenced depends on many factors from what the one making it is intending,what the audience wants, what is the incarnation about among many things.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #47
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by strugler View Post
Now that the IDW comic is in colors, having them all wear red will have the same effect as the B/W mirage comics.
Except they all had unique skin colors as well...
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've never been really sold on Slash wearing any bandanna. It's strange enough that the Ninja Turtles wear the bandannas (stranger still that they would wear different, mood-colored ones), but whatever, we accept it... but when an alien Turtle from another planet in a different galaxy/universe/dimension just happens to wear one exactly like they do (even if it's a different color) then that's hard to rationalize.
Actually, it isn't as difficult to rationalize, as Slash's toy design and bio implied him to be an evil mirror counterpart to the Turtles. Most fiction has that one villain or multiple villains copying the hero's fashion style or function for various reasons, so go along with that. Your logic is sound as "why would he wear the bandanna," but the real point is basic aesthetics (or maybe it's a case of form vs. function?). Besides, Tokka didn't wear one, so we have one of each (an evil Turtle with or without a bandanna).

And yet, Archie and the 87 series never really played up Slash's evil mirror character archetype very much. The former did, but very briefly. The latter, well, did its own thing with him, and we'll leave at that. In which case, it does become more bizarre than it would if Shredder, one day, "okay, I'll fight fire with fire and go with my own evil Turtle to counter those wretched reptiles." (Why that scenario never happened in any media, somebody explain it to me, please.)

Anyway, while nostaglia and my general preference leans toward rainbow, I've long accepted the red. In IDW's case, they should have waited a little long before the transition to rainbow, but what's done is done. With computers being what they are, today, color them whatever you want and call it a day.

Last edited by Killer Moth; 03-29-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #49
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Rank 107 for 2/12: TMNT #7 -- 18,769 copies

So one issue later with the continued rainbow bandannas, it lost 4 more readers. In theory.
In theory. It could've just as easily been due to the reincarnation angle.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #50
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
In theory. It could've just as easily been due to the reincarnation angle.
Very true.

Perhaps, though, Andrew's point is that it didn't really boost sales either.

Although, I don't think that was ever Tom/IDW's intention with the colored bandana's. Didn't Tom say it was just his preference?

For the record, I miss the red, but am still enjoying the book.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #51
Ninja_Shoe_Repair
Hench Mutant
 
Ninja_Shoe_Repair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 291
No, I still want the all red. Any serious comics should be all red. Don't change tradition. When I was younger, I would have wanted the colored and nothing else but now that I'm older I pine more for the early Mirage style and I don't see that changing. To each their own is the main point but my opinion still hasn't swayed from the beginning. They won't change it back at any point either. Colored masks are unfortunately here to stay.
Ninja_Shoe_Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've never been really sold on Slash wearing any bandanna. It's strange enough that the Ninja Turtles wear the bandannas (stranger still that they would wear different, mood-colored ones), but whatever, we accept it... but when an alien Turtle from another planet in a different galaxy/universe/dimension just happens to wear one exactly like they do (even if it's a different color) then that's hard to rationalize.
They could just start him out without one, have him meet/fight the turtles, then imitate their look.

Boom. Alien turtle with a bandanna.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #53
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
I wasn't here for "that other thread". But I was a bit upset the first time they switched to colored because for once I got to see a shallow glimpse of the Mirage Turtles in action. Then after five issues, they took it away. So that was a huge bummer.
But then again, I grew up watching the OT... so I've been over it for most of my life. Most Turtles incarnation wore different colors... so it wasn't anything new.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #54
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've brought this up before, but the thing that still bugs me about it story-wise is the fact that Splinter decided to give them their favorite colors from their past lives... but tossed their original names aside just because they were given pet names by the employees at Stockgen.
what were their orginal names in their past lives? Also I'm not sure I like that some employees named the turtles and instead of Splinter naming them himself. I don't know if this mirage canon or OT canon but didn't he name them after his favorite renaissance artists? That angle had a nice personal touch to it and I'm saddened it was dropped.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
what were their orginal names in their past lives? Also I'm not sure I like that some employees named the turtles and instead of Splinter naming them himself. I don't know if this mirage canon or OT canon but didn't he name them after his favorite renaissance artists? That angle had a nice personal touch to it and I'm saddened it was dropped.
Their names weren't revealed in #5, but they obviously had traditional Japanese names in their past lives that Splinter must remember if he remembers everything else with such clarity.

I understand that Tom had to have Splinter call them Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael and Donatello somehow, so it doesn't bother me that he changed who named them. But like I said, I fail to see Splinter's in-story logic.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #56
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
Maybe he's just a crazy old rat man with selective memory.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #57
oldschoolturtlesfan
Thug
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Shoe_Repair View Post
No, I still want the all red. Any serious comics should be all red. Don't change tradition. When I was younger, I would have wanted the colored and nothing else but now that I'm older I pine more for the early Mirage style and I don't see that changing. To each their own is the main point but my opinion still hasn't swayed from the beginning. They won't change it back at any point either. Colored masks are unfortunately here to stay.
I agree!!!
oldschoolturtlesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael View Post
I keep seeing the term "Bait and Switch" which I feel IDW did not do. They said they would have all red bandanas which they did, they never said it was going to be there forever.
When they first acquired the license they did say that the new book would be like the Mirage books. Now that's a little vague but there are certain tropes that immediately come to most fans minds when a claim like that is made.

The early artwork depicting red bandana clad TMNT fighting a gang in a rundown neighborhood with Kevin Eastman doing his distinctive layouts really sold us on the idea this was going to be like the early Mirage books.

What we got was fairly far removed from the off but even taking into account Tom Waltz's early interviews saying he was using elements from other parts of the franchise you can't blame people for thinking "five issues in and we're already deep into Fred Wolf territory" making you wonder why they bothered in the first place.

That's not to say what we're getting is bad. For me it's mostly fallen into "okay" territory which probably puts it on par with Tales V. 2 at this point. I don't mind them starting with all red and switching to multi-voloured masks and I'm an advocate for that happening in the movie (since the liklihood of them just using red in the movie is just above zero) I just thought it was a bit fast. You have to wonder if it's true that Fred Wolf concepts are such a big draw why they didn't start out with them and segway into more Mirage stuff?

Last edited by Galactus; 04-21-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #59
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
My thoughts now are I'm just glad we got to see them in all red at all. I mean, they could've started multi- colored and just called it a day but at least they tried to pay some respect to the originals.

And besides, Bobby and Tom now know from this forum that the red bandanas DO matter to a lot of fans so who knows, we might see them again sometime in the future.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #60
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Perhaps they didn't say it would be there forever, but is that something anyone is asking for? There's no precedent for switching mask colors in any turtles medium, so of course no one would think of that as a possibility. IDW never they're not going to reveal that it was all a dream and they are actually aliens. Giving us the impression of one thing that ends up being something else is the difference between "bait & switch" and straight up lying. We are led to believe the turtles have red masks and will remain that way because why would we think otherwise? Now I'm not saying any of this was intentional deception, but I think the phrase has some validity in this case. I too am glad to see some respect to the original, but it would have been easier to swallow if that were made explicit from the beginning. The problem is, I don't think that was what they had in mind in the beginning, so it just ended up being an unfortunate turn of events where Mirage fans were a bit let down by the end result. Oh well.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bandana changes, idw


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.