The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #141
Bloodsucker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brazil
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

At the present time I don't personally have use for anything outside of DVD (I figure I'd just have to 'borrow' the use of someone else's blu-ray player or whatnot, that would work), so my luck they will focus on DVD only. If I don't end up with any good extra stuff then I swear that company better share that full elevator scene, etc online after a while... >.> Grr.
Any news on VHS version? I just can't bring myself to buy a DVD player yet.
Bloodsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #142
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsucker View Post
Any news on VHS version? I just can't bring myself to buy a DVD player yet.
don't be a troll
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #143
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
The spine on that DVD looks really cool, Autbot Benz. Would sit nicely on a shelf next to the spine of the 1990 movie DVD.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #144
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
The spine on that DVD looks really cool, Autbot Benz. Would sit nicely on a shelf next to the spine of the 1990 movie DVD.
ya I thought the spine was well done too. I am surprised Amazon shipped it so I could get it the day before release.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #145
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
ya the blu ray has all the features. I hate that we dvd owners get screwed in the pooch for no reason. I am just glad to have the movie.
A Blu Ray player is only $60. Why not just buy one? It has (way) better picture and sound (especially sound!) and can still play those DVDs, plus you now get streaming apps on most of them. There's really no good reason not to upgrade, not even penny-pinching.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #146
Digital Ghost
Mad Scientist
 
Digital Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The lab
Posts: 1,163
I have to agree with sgtfbomb here.
Even if you absolutely refuse to purchase a bluray player, bluray discs have a much larger storage capacity. So, even if you wanted all those special features with your DVD purchase, they would have to have them downgraded onto additional discs which in turn would only increase the price of the DVD.

In the long run, you're simply better off shelling (pun intended) out 50-60 bucks for one. Boxing Day sales are soon upon us.
__________________
Digital Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #147
Digital Ghost
Mad Scientist
 
Digital Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The lab
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The TMNT 3D Blu-ray with the Raph Gift Set has shipped today via FedEx, Can't wait to get it tomorrow.
Are we the only ones here that ordered it? *crickets*
__________________
Digital Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #148
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Ghost View Post
I have to agree with sgtfbomb here.
Even if you absolutely refuse to purchase a bluray player, bluray discs have a much larger storage capacity. So, even if you wanted all those special features with your DVD purchase, they would have to have them downgraded onto additional discs which in turn would only increase the price of the DVD.

In the long run, you're simply better off shelling (pun intended) out 50-60 bucks for one. Boxing Day sales are soon upon us.
even with all the storage space, You sometimes get a barebones Blu-Ray, Depending on the movie, a Studio would release a barebones version, then a few months later, Release a special edition with all the goodies.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #149
Digital Ghost
Mad Scientist
 
Digital Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The lab
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
even with all the storage space, You sometimes get a barebones Blu-Ray, Depending on the movie, a Studio would release a barebones version, then a few months later, Release a special edition with all the goodies.
True... but I don't purchase the barebones blurays. They're simply not worth it unless the price is right or it's the best we're gonna' see. I'm not against DVD mind you, I just feel that when a film has special effects, it's best to have on bluray.
__________________
Digital Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #150
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Ghost View Post
Are we the only ones here that ordered it? *crickets*
I got it too Gonna perch him on top of my tele.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #151
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Ghost View Post
True... but I don't purchase the barebones blurays. They're simply not worth it unless the price is right or it's the best we're gonna' see. I'm not against DVD mind you, I just feel that when a film has special effects, it's best to have on bluray.
True and watching DVDs on an HDTV looks very crappy.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #152
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,163
I currently use my xbox360 to watch movies so once that bites the dust I will consider my options.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #153
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
even with all the storage space, You sometimes get a barebones Blu-Ray, Depending on the movie, a Studio would release a barebones version, then a few months later, Release a special edition with all the goodies.

The time span was generally a year or two between "dips." I can think of only one movie that was released with no features and then two or three months later, re-issued with special features, and that was Transformers: Dark of the Moon and the initial release included a a discounted voucher for the upgraded release. You could argue Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies, but even then, Theatrical Cuts included their own unique set of features.

Double Dipping is a little different now. Now it's the same disc with the same features re-packaged with a new, more modern cover. Occasionally, you get a new featurette or a new Q&A. The exception to the rule is Shout/Scream Factory in the US and Arrow in the UK, who take movies that are mostly disregarded by their distributor, license them, and produce hefty special features. I would love for Shout Factory to get their hands on TMNT '90.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #154
Bloodsucker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brazil
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
don't be a troll
Hi Friendster, I love you too! Want to play?
Bloodsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #155
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsucker View Post
Any news on VHS version? I just can't bring myself to buy a DVD player yet.



We're not all made of money right now. But if you'd like to buy me one that would be awesome. I'd love to be in the position where $60 is "only $60," but right now that has to go to other more important things when I have it. Blu-ray is also IMO not that fascinating of a supposed "upgrade" to be bothered with. If it was an entirely different thing then I might consider it more. But until then. MEH.

I could understand if it was something else both DVD and Blu-ray were being pushed aside for, but those... whatever. That's prob just marketing because they can pretend it's worth a bigger price when the plastic disc is probably about equally as cheap to mass produce. Quality and whatnot... DVD is acceptable just fine, don't care.


Really would have thought they'd have gone all out with these discs to start with and cut back to bare bones versions at a later date, not right from the get go.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-15-2014 at 08:19 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #156
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
Unfortunately, it's becoming industry standard to keep DVD releases bare bones (or minimum bones). For purchasing purchases, it's really better to just buy the Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs; you might not have a Blu-Ray player today, but you probably will some day, and then you won't have to re-buy your entire library.

That said, I totally understand the resistance to upgrade. I have never had an enjoyable experience watching Blu-Ray - it all just ends up looking fake to me. I have a USB Blu-Ray player that I can use if there's something I can't watch any way else (such as special features), but otherwise I'm very content with DVDs.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #157
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Unfortunately, it's becoming industry standard to keep DVD releases bare bones (or minimum bones). For purchasing purchases, it's really better to just buy the Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs; you might not have a Blu-Ray player today, but you probably will some day, and then you won't have to re-buy your entire library.

That said, I totally understand the resistance to upgrade. I have never had an enjoyable experience watching Blu-Ray - it all just ends up looking fake to me. I have a USB Blu-Ray player that I can use if there's something I can't watch any way else (such as special features), but otherwise I'm very content with DVDs.
Ever since I switched to Blu-Ray, I never looked back, I can tell the difference in the quality, DVD playing on an HDTV just looks like crap, Its all upressed.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #158
Bloodsucker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brazil
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post



We're not all made of money right now. But if you'd like to buy me one that would be awesome. I'd love to be in the position where $60 is "only $60," but right now that has to go to other more important things when I have it. Blu-ray is also IMO not that fascinating of a supposed "upgrade" to be bothered with. If it was an entirely different thing then I might consider it more. But until then. MEH.

I could understand if it was something else both DVD and Blu-ray were being pushed aside for, but those... whatever. That's prob just marketing because they can pretend it's worth a bigger price when the plastic disc is probably about equally as cheap to mass produce. Quality and whatnot... DVD is acceptable just fine, don't care.


Really would have thought they'd have gone all out with these discs to start with and cut back to bare bones versions at a later date, not right from the get go.
do you have an HD TV? People are buying 4K TV's now. You might want to think about moving forward, dvd's won't even be made much longer.
and yes, there is a very big difference. If you can't tell, go see the eye doctor, because something is wrong.


^^ DVD is even small than 720p.

Last edited by Bloodsucker; 12-15-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Bloodsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #159
Brodie
Certified Teacher
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bizarro Metropolis
Posts: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Ghost View Post
Are we the only ones here that ordered it? *crickets*
I ordered it from Amazon.ca, while it was like $35. Its back up to $75 CN now.
__________________
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #160
xChri5x
Stone Warrior
 
xChri5x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsucker View Post
do you have an HD TV? People are buying 4K TV's now. You might want to think about moving forward, dvd's won't even be made much longer.
and yes, there is a very big difference. If you can't tell, go see the eye doctor, because something is wrong.
http://www.geckohomecinema.co.uk/wp-...e-1024x540.jpg

^^ DVD is even small than 720p.
http://www.cdrom2go.com/images/blog/...dvd-4k_BIG.jpg
Don't get me wrong... I love blu ray etc... but these "examples" are very poor and not indicative of the actual quality levels of today's digital media.
__________________
xChri5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dvd releases


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.