The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
garada
Thug
 
garada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hell Island
Posts: 62
First Graphic Novel reprintings

Back when I was a Freshman in high school [1989-1990], I picked up a cool TMNT collection at a college bookstore I visited on a class trip. It was an over-sized [maybe 9x12], square bound book; I picked up volume 2, which reprinted [I think], TMNT v1 issues 5-8 [the 'Turtles In Space' / Fugitoid / Triceraton issues], and it was IN COLOR! I loved this book to death, but have no idea what happened to it. I'd love to have another copy, but I can't find a listing for it on Amazon, eBay, or anywhere.

If anyone had any info on this book, I will forever be in your debt. My 9 year old daughter is just getting into TMNT, and I'd LOVE for her to read this one.

Failing this, I would really appreciate any insight on the best collection of this material [early Volume 1, especially the 'Space' stuff].


Last edited by garada; 08-17-2010 at 10:05 PM.
garada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
You must be thinking of the four volume First Graphic Novel reprintings from 1986-1988:

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/books/first01.htm
ISBN 0915419092

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/books/first02.htm
ISBN 091541922X

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/books/first03.htm
ISBN 0915419289

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/books/first04.htm
ISBN 0915419432

I really like those books, and they can usually be found for cover price or less. There are currently quite a few on Amazon for good prices.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-17-2010 at 09:16 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Rise1184
Hench Mutant
 
Rise1184's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Great Valley
Posts: 260
^^ Are those the books you are referring to, garada? Yeah, you might get lucky to find them online. I got this deal on Amazon for all 4 books, so I had to take it.
__________________


"He's wrong.. We're NOT wearing costumes."
Rise1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
garada
Thug
 
garada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hell Island
Posts: 62
Wow, oldmanwinters, you rock! Those are EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Man, this board rules. I went ahead and ordered all four of them; I hope the actual books live up to my memory of them!
garada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
garada
Thug
 
garada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hell Island
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise1184 View Post
^^ Are those the books you are referring to, garada? Yeah, you might get lucky to find them online. I got this deal on Amazon for all 4 books, so I had to take it.
Yup, I'm pretty sure they're what I was referring to. I hope so!

Are you glad you bought them? How do you like them? I seem to remember them being pretty amazing, and I'm in the mood to re-read the classic, early Mirage issues in color, so I'm pretty excited.

I'll update this post when I get them. In the meantime, I'd love to hear opinions and comments from anyone that owns these editions.

A bit of a tangent, but if anyone has any suggestions on the 'Definitive' versions of the early Mirage stuff in B&W, I'd be interested in that too!

garada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by garada View Post
I'll update this post when I get them. In the meantime, I'd love to hear opinions and comments from anyone that owns these editions.
There was a thread started on these books not too long ago:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30105

As far as the "definitive edition" of the early issues goes, the most elusive collection is the 1988 TMNT Collected Book which included reprints of issues 1-11 and the 4 microseries issues, published in both hardback and paperback editions. Those volumes can command HIGH prices these days. A second printing in paperback edition came out in 1990, and I'm guessing it's pretty hard to find cheap as well.

The 2009 Collected Book Volume 1 reprints the same stuff but adds the Fugitoid issue as well. It's been in high demand since it came out and can fetch prices of $100 or more online.

But if you want to see most of the early issues printed in color, the First Comics Graphic Novels are the only option.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
garada
Thug
 
garada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hell Island
Posts: 62
Dang oldman, you're a fountain of knowledge!

The TMNT Collected Book Volume One looks amazing [especially the 2009 version], but a bit too rich for my blood.

I did pick up the TMNT Artobiography and the TMNT 25th book [which features Raphael #1 in color, a nice complement to the Leo #1 in the FIRST Book 4], so that should keep me satisfied for TMNT reading until a cheaper edition of the TMNT Collected Book Volume One comes on the market.

Thanks also for the link to the older thread, good stuff. I'm even more excited about getting these FIRST books now, especially at the prices I paid. I just hope the sellers have the correct editions of what they're listing, and that the condition of the books is what was stated. Sigh, buying on the internet!
garada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.