The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #161
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
^Share the link. I want to see the chaos.
http://darthempress.tumblr.com/post/...aracters-right

Read all the replies too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #162
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Cheers.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #163
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Haha I found the tumblr link. LOL at the arguments.
And you call them feminazis? Jerk.

I know these people.
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #164
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
I am so proud of that post, and all the likes and reblogs it garnered.
Especially the stuff coming out of tumblr user mooncalfe.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #165
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
you guys are bumming me out....



I just--uhhh....

you guys are just "whatever" on this whole thing and I'm just here legitimately sad that my favorite show won't be showing more girls.....I wanted more girls so bad.....I was okay with the lack of girls cause I was thinking "hey maybe next episode....or next season".....but now I know there won't be many......



forget it I'm going to bed.................
__________________

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 11-18-2013 at 12:08 AM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #166
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist
 
Technogeek29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 1,486
So dies my hopes of Alopex in any media sometime this decade
__________________
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #167
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
I wouldn't worry much. People change their opinion all the time, and Greg Cipes' been bugging Ciro to give Mikey a girlfriend "on a daily basis".

Ciro also said he has a list of hundreds of characters to use, where generally by rule if he and his team can do it in good taste, and justify it, they'll go for it. Pretty sure females are in there too, so just let his creativity go with it. If he gets an inspiration to utilize a female character, they'll go for it.

It doesn't necessarily need to be another female character just for the sake of it to be another female character. Baxter is the only black person in the toon. Do we need to add another just for the sake of more black people? What about handicapped people? Do we need another Mr Murakami type of person, with a wheelchair maybe? No. The characters will come when it fits, not because people demand it to be shoehorned into the show. Like I said, it doesn't necessarily need to be another female character just for the sake of it to be another female character.

Just my opinion.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #168
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
Fishface is POC. And once Baxter becomes a mutant, there won't be black people I suppose.
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #169
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,778
Isn't Irma supposed to appear in the very NEXT episode anyway?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #170
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
From what Ciro is implying, Irma would have a one episode role. She won't be important as Casey was, and any girl interaction would be April and Karai, who happened to be enemies.

Which is a shame, it's like saying April's important relationships are her dad, the Turtles and Casey.
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #171
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
If that were the case I'd have expected Ciro's answer to have been different.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #172
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,778
He was trying to avoid mentioning spoilers. He mentioned nothing of Rahzar, as I assume this podcast was recorded a few days or a week before this weeks episode.

The characters he mentioned were ones he didn't intend to use. I laughed when he said, "What the hell am I going to do with Ace Duck?"

Haha. Even the original toon writers thought Ace Duck was a terrible character....nobody likes Ace Duck!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #173
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Poor Ace.

He kinda reminds me of Howard the Duck though. xD (my memory lingers on Nostalgia Critics's hilarious video: ducktits woohoo)
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #174
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I actually have wondered if Nielli is scared of the notion of powerful women in general, and is erring to much on the cautious side. The moment of truth might be to ask him: Do you ever worry about men being too powerful? I still don't get why he thought Starfire and Raven were too powerful; if you get a follow-up, ask him that question. At least Karai's bastardization as Shredder's brown-noser wasn't his fault originally, and I do, in fact, like her more sassy attitude. I think April is just about the right power level. So to clarify my opinion, being "too powerful" is a moronic reason to not have more females in the show, and global gender parity is a moronic reason to have more females in the show.

Also, not to sound like a broken record, but really; on some days, I feel like I'm one of the few people who doesn't have blind faith in Nielli's direction. Teen Titans was a deeply flawed show; this is less flawed, but it still isn't doing everything as well as it could be. There's a lot of missed potential.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #175
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciro View Post
im not coming here anymore, you guys are depressing.
get a sense of humor and start enjoying life.
I think Ciro said it best in his last post on this site. It's really no wonder he never visits anymore, after this we will probably be lucky to hear him speak so freely about the show again.

I also don't understand being super friendly to him on the podcast Plastron, then ripping what he said as a reply on this forum. You had him live why not bring these things up to him with the same amount of conviction you seem to have on here?
__________________
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #176
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
I feel that he was just expressing his experiences of handling super power girls. Yeah maybe it's best he doesn't visit the forum anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
Teen Titans was a deeply flawed show; this is less flawed, but it still isn't doing everything as well as it could be. There's a lot of missed potential.
Tell me what are the flaws of Teen Titans, and what shows in your opinion aren't as flawed.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #177
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I also don't understand being super friendly to him on the podcast Plastron, then ripping what he said as a reply on this forum. You had him live why not bring these things up to him with the same amount of conviction you seem to have on here?

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #178
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I feel that he was just expressing his experiences of handling super power girls. Yeah maybe it's best he doesn't visit the forum anymore...


Tell me what are the flaws of Teen Titans,
Mostly, its humor, and its deliberate flanderization of the characters. Raven was not supposed to be a Goth girl, and Starfire was not supposed to be a ditz. The cartoon versions of the characters grew on me enough, but I really never liked the show's humor that much. I think Beast Boy may well have been the failed experiment that made Nielli decide to intervene in making sure Mikey wasn't too stupid. The jokes in general were more annoying than funny; I especially hated the stuck in TV episode, where it seemed like the writers never even watched the shows they were trying to parody.

Also, the adaptation of the Terra arc was just dumb. I'm not saying the original Judas Contract is some unassailable masterpiece; on the contrary, it's a dated story that required the Kitty Pryde bit of the X-Men to be fresh in readers' heads when they read Terra, because otherwise, the big shock that she's truly evil wouldn't be one. (Terra was overtly obnoxious.) Also, obviously now everyone knows how the story ends, so as it was, it's lost its punch and there's room for flexibility in adaptation, but the show did it extremely stupidly. In the show, instead of being evil, Terra's "dark secret" is that she can't control her powers. That's her flimsy excuse for leaving the Titans, and for signing up with a known criminal to learn to control them, when the Titans would be better mentors? Lame. Also lame is how she went from innocent girl, to completely indebted to Slade and hateful to the Titans, and then back to the good side in the end. That's a deliberate contradiction of the ending Marv Wolfman wrote, and that might have been okay had animated Terra actually been sympathetic, but even if she wasn't evil from the get-go, she still became evil for one of the stupidest reasons imaginable; that's not a character you really want to pity.

Oh, and that "Things Change" episode. Horrible way to go out! Shows should never end on a cliffhanger with unanswered questions. To be fair, the graphic novel adaptation elaborated it a little bit, but still, it was a stupid choice. That the movie had absolutely nothing to do with the parent plot, even with possibly the most interesting potential plot advanced in the form of vastly expanded membership, did not help.

Now all that said, still liked a lot of the show, but I like superhero shows in general. It's not one of the best.

Quote:
and what shows in your opinion aren't as flawed.
Most of the other DC shows from the 1990s onward. The Bruce Timm Batman, Superman, and Justice League cartoons did about everything I could reasonably expect cartoons of those characters to do, and I feel much more work went into their animation. Also, Young Justice is basically a Teen Titans cartoon done right, and was almost the start of a new DC Animated Universe.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #179
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
I stopped feeling sorry for Ciro when he said he didn't enjoy working with Raven and Starfire's characterizations. If fans call him out on this, let them.

I really like Teen Titans, wacky animesque things and all, so feeling devastated is an understatement.

Also, "I'm a guy and can't write girls therefore I will never use them" is a stupid excuse alright?
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)

Last edited by Avatar Yuffie; 11-18-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 AM   #180
Electric
Epic Hiatus
 
Electric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I think Ciro said it best in his last post on this site. It's really no wonder he never visits anymore, after this we will probably be lucky to hear him speak so freely about the show again.

I also don't understand being super friendly to him on the podcast Plastron, then ripping what he said as a reply on this forum. You had him live why not bring these things up to him with the same amount of conviction you seem to have on here?
Exactly. With such a negative reaction to this podcast I doubt we'll get anything more like this from him. He was trying to give some insight into the show and one thing he said turned into outrage leading to an online petition to get rid of him from his own show.

And really plastron. You seem awfully concerned with this. Why did you not ask any further into the question when he could reply and explain himself? Maybe if you had, he would've said something that would've pleased all the upset people. Maybe that there would be more girls in future seasons, or that he mispoke about just good and evil. If you really want him to do this again with you, why act fine when he's there and turn around and join in with the people who attack him?
__________________
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ciro nieli


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.