The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #41
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3llshocked View Post
back where I can enjoy this movie without feeling like, for some reason, I should hate this movie.
Why take it that personally though. Everyone here are Turtles fans, big enough to be here on a forum and passionate enough about it to bother forming an opinion. For anyone to expect only like minded comments is to expect others to be a source of fuel to make them feel pumped about it or sided with... but people aren't fuel.

I don't discredit others for liking what they see. Heck, the vast majority of it I'm actually perfectly fine with. I'd have even been totally fine the minor things that some of the big supporters of it flipped out over themselves - a shortened title; a suggestion that they weren't teens.

I don't expect this to be a place that only agrees with my views on what I do or don't like. Overboard levels of negativity and overblown levels of enthusiasm can be equally annoying.

But I like discussing this stuff and hearing the opinions and thoughts of others, so I'm not about to go stomping off like Raph... I might miss something.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #42
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Newp. Just more of what I've already seen and not liked. Bry summed up my feelings pretty well. It's fine, I guess. Everything I love eventually lets me down. I hated "Superman IV." I still can't even sit through "Batman & Robin." And even the almighty Hulkster made "3 Ninjas: High Noon At Mega Mountain", the sole blemish on an otherwise-flawless film career. This movie was bound to happen eventually.

Frankly, I'm long past the point where I can fully enjoy "shut your brain off and have fun with it" movies. I've never had an easy time with that whole concept, anyway, because movies are expensive and there's simply no excuse not to try and make a product everyone can enjoy. This project obviously has a lot of things in it that were done solely to "mess with" the fanbase, and I don't think that's ever a smart idea.

So, no, my mind hasn't changed, and honestly, I don't think this movie can do that. It would have to be, literally, an entirely different movie than what we've seen so far, and that's not happening. It's whatever. Years from now when people are sick of the "just dumb fun" version of TMNT, someone will come along and do a more grounded version, and maybe I'll like that one. Or not. I'unno.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #43
massakre
Foot Soldier
 
massakre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 182
There was never a point where I wasnt excited for this film. From the initial announcement, the first glimpse of the turtles (outside of the Halloween costume debacle lol), the stills, the first trailer.. I've been behind this from day one simply because Im biased to TMNT (prob not the most logical reasoning I know).

With all this being said, this trailer just sold someone thats been sold on this movie.. Bring on more marketing, toys and most of all.. the movie!
massakre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
I caved and watched the new trailer just now.

Oh my god it was horrendous. I didn't understand a damn thing that was going on, and as soon as the ear-bleeding music kicked in I regretted making this decision.

Gonna need to pour some bleach into my eye sockets to repair this one.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #45
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjaj View Post
True, but the '87 series also made many drastic changes (I definitely don't think it kept the spirit and tone of the comics), and this one looks to be a product of its time, much like the '87 series. And although I am not a big fan of that series, many other people love it, and it's their favourite version.
It took things in a more comedic direction, for sure. And I agree with you in that it's not my preferred version, and I think there's a reason something closer to the Mirage versions of these characters has persisted more than the '87 versions over the years despite its massive popularity. But even then, I think a lot of the core elements/appeal were still there, and still felt "right" enough in a way that I'm not feeling from this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Yeah, the shots look so off to me... kind of irritating.
It's that whole Bay house style. Liebesman was chosen for a reason, and that's really it - his style fits with Bay's. It's that whole overblown, high-contrast, heavily-filtered, kinda-shiny look to everything. And the "showy" camerawork that's covering up for a lack of basic storytelling skills. I feel like this movie is going to age really terribly, and in a way that the 1990 movie hasn't, based on the visual style and directing alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Years from now when people are sick of the "just dumb fun" version of TMNT, someone will come along and do a more grounded version, and maybe I'll like that one. Or not. I'unno.
Yeah, that's my hope too. These things are pretty cyclical. The campy '60s Batman begat the darker '89 movie, which begat Batman & Robin, which begat The Dark Knight. Eventually the returns will diminish on the BayTurtles, and maybe the next person to get a swing at the franchise will dive into some Mirage comics and do their best to emulate those.

Hopefully sooner than later, but I can be patient.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #46
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I'd settle for a version that mixed a little from all the others - as this one is apparently trying to do - but in a far less bombastic way. This is all just way too over the top for me and I'm getting way too much of a "Batman & Robin", "Everything AND the kitchen sink" vibe from it.

I wouldn't really like a straight-up Mirage riff. Mirage, frankly, bores me quite a bit, and the first movie is as close as I care to see them go to it.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #47
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I'd have been happy with a film taking cues from Out Of The Shadows.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #48
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
No it's making me more hyped up then ever
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #49
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
Nope. Still not sure.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #50
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'd settle for a version that mixed a little from all the others - as this one is apparently trying to do - but in a far less bombastic way. This is all just way too over the top for me and I'm getting way too much of a "Batman & Robin", "Everything AND the kitchen sink" vibe from it.

I wouldn't really like a straight-up Mirage riff. Mirage, frankly, bores me quite a bit, and the first movie is as close as I care to see them go to it.
Well hey, fair enough. And I actually kind of agree - I'd like mostly Mirage in there, but with some 2K3 and some Nick (and even a little '87) sprinkled in for flavour. Keep things fairly grounded, but light and fun when it should be, and serious/emotional when it should be. And for the love of all that's holy, get someone with good storytelling skills and the ability to exercise a bit of restraint to direct the thing.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #51
Lou 500
Hench Mutant
 
Lou 500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 478
Yep, it's changed my view a lot and I am stoked! It looks like it doesn't take itself too seriously and perfectly balances the campy fun that TMNT is associated with with badass action sequences.

Overall it looks like a fun summer movie that I will definately be seeing.

Also, extra points for Skrillex. I like Skrillex.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #52
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Not really. I still hate the designs and I think this movie will suck, but atleast it's looking better then it was in the first trailer.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #53
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3llshocked View Post
Man I miss being a kid. Back when everything wasn't so over analyzed and scrutinized. This board has reminded me of why I hate reading reviews from "professionals" like Roger Ebert, etc. Listening to some old crab break down every movie if it doesn't come out like Schindlers List...ugh. I joined this forum to enjoy all things turtle, especially the new movie, but I've gotten to the point where even opening a thread on this forum is so depressing. I read one or two comments and then it's right back to shrek, wrong voices, Megan Fox is soo terrible, and of course....:drum roll: MICHEAL BAY! Dom dom dooooooom!

I think I will retire from this forum for a while, and return to the land of normal humans, back where I can enjoy this movie without feeling like, for some reason, I should hate this movie. This franchise has had so many changes over the years, I find it so funny that people can gripe about this movie...crazy
Lots of people here are being positive about the movie, don't let those who disagree or can't seem to find much to like impact your enjoyment. Don't let it run you away, we actually need people here who DO like the film to help balance things out

I am leaning towards like. I agree with you about the childlike POV, if I were a kid and a fan of the Nick turtles I think that, even if I was like "wtf" at first sight of the designs, I would quickly find things to like about it... maybe even love.

I'm just going to enjoy everything. I'm glad to see the turtles on the big screen and in the spotlight again. I love seeing all the movie tie-ins and people talking about TMNT who normally wouldn't care much. I can almost recapture the feeling I had experiencing it all as a kid if I try hard enough and I love that!

I really like Black Nerd's approach to it, I agree with a lot of what he has to say. He comes from an older fan perspective, as do I and many here, but still finds a lot to dig and accepts that the film isn't being made to cater to hardcore fans, it's for the new generation of fans and that's perfectly okay!
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #54
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Well hey, fair enough. And I actually kind of agree - I'd like mostly Mirage in there, but with some 2K3 and some Nick (and even a little '87) sprinkled in for flavour. Keep things fairly grounded, but light and fun when it should be, and serious/emotional when it should be. And for the love of all that's holy, get someone with good storytelling skills and the ability to exercise a bit of restraint to direct the thing.
Yeah, I feel like the basic initial idea was sound - take a little from each TMNT universe and mix it all together - but it's just too "in-your-face". There's a way to do it that's still "fun" while still having subtlety and restraint. Burton's "Batman" pulled it off, for example. It doesn't have to be Nolan's Batman or anything, but this thing looks like it's aimed entirely at 12-year-old kids with ADD. I just can't get into it.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #55
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'd have been happy with a film taking cues from Out Of The Shadows.
Same here.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #56
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'd have been happy with a film taking cues from Out Of The Shadows.
Y'know what? Yeah. If they had to go a more "realistic" route for the design (and, y'know, with nostrils), I would have much preferred those designs to the ones we got. MUCH preferred.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #57
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
The trailer is obviously the best one we've gotten so far, and I'll admit, everything looks cool. Looks like we're in for some great action scenes and humor (I found Mikey's "we'll find you" line hilarious ). Hopefully the subplot of Raph having to save the others won't drag on for too long, because I personally don't like when a TMNT movie focuses on one or two specific turtles...(which is why I really don't like TMNT '07). Megan Fox still doesn't seem like a good actress...(and to quote April from the Nick series) but hey, she's purty! I'm excited to see the film, and I'm not sold on the turtles' designs yet (I don't know if I EVER will...) but still, very excited. The trailer has given me a better view on the movie and I can gladly say that it HAS peaked my interest.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #58
BoxxHarry
Mouser
 
BoxxHarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 14
If only by a little. I was afraid that this was going to turn out to be one more of those Dark Knight wannabes, but this seems to be more along the lines of fun, action-heavy comic book movies, and I'm all over that.

This could have turned out to be another third TMNT movie and I still would've bought a ticket to the cinema anyway.
__________________
BoxxHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
The designs of the Turtles are terrible, Shredder is still white, what is there to like?

Admittedly if the Turtles looked more "normal" and Shredder was Japanese from the start the movie would be a bit more tolerable.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #60
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
There are still numerous things that I hate about it, but I think there are going to be bits that I can enjoy on some level. I mean, I'm still in a good enough mood after watching the trailer that I've celebrated by wearing a Turtles shirt work...

I feel that it's going to be Turtles Lite, put it that way. There are things that I don't like. Numerous things actually. The list of things I don't like is actually still longer than the list of things I do like. But I'm not as convinced that it'll be a suckfest from start to finish as I was, and I'm not nerd-raging over the stuff that I don't like.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't happy to see new Turtles in any form, even massively ugly forms that throw people through subway windows.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.