The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #361
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebrush View Post
So has that painting actually appeared in the Archie comics then? Or the collected books? When/what issue was it first printed? It doesn't look like an Archie cover (I certainly don't recall any wrap-around covers)
I dont know, cause that's the first time I seen that painting.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #362
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Eastman and Laird were playing around with alternate costume designs for the Turtles as far back as 1984 (Raphael's black costume drew its inspiration from Spider-Man's new black costume, which debuted in Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars that year), since they were indistinguishable from each other in the black and white comic book. I think this illustration dates from around 1986.

Although they didn't use those designs in the main Mirage comic, Steve Murphy (Dean Clarrain) and Ryan Brown liked them enough to incorporate them into the Archie books as soon as possible.

Gary Carlson and Frank Fosco handled the issue of the Turtles all looking the same in black and white by scarring Raphael, lopping off Leonardo's hand, and killing Donatello and turning him into a cyborg, so there are plenty of different ways to address that problem.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #363
Jasper-X
Hench Mutant
 
Jasper-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
finished the book yesterday, just AMAZING! so much awesome information. i read it all in one sitting because i couldn't put it down, i loved all the information about how they started up with mirage and everything. it was really great to see a section on every iteration. a must have for any turtle fan
__________________
Items I am looking to Buy:

Next Mutation Production Statue
Bounzing Buddy Raphael in package
Purple Super Shredder MOC
Secret Agent Don MOC
IDW Limited Sketch Cards
Jasper-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #364
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
I should be receiving my book in the mail in the next 2 to 3 days.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #365
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior
 
Darth Knuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mutani-Isle
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
Although they didn't use those designs in the main Mirage comic, Steve Murphy (Dean Clarrain) and Ryan Brown liked them enough to incorporate them into the Archie books as soon as possible.
Exactly. I've always really liked those costumes for the turtles originally and loved that Archie were able to use them in the books.

I was able to pre-order and get the TMNT: The Ultimate Visual History a few days before the release date of the 24th from Amazon. I flipped through it and it just looks great, even though I haven't even had time to read any of it yet. I also want to give a shout out to Andrew Farago and everyone that helped make this book a reality. It's the ultimate ninja turtle fan book.
__________________
"Shredder, what have you done!?!" - Tiger Claw (Annihilation: Earth!)
Darth Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #366
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
I read all I could on the Amazon preview pages. I want to read more. I'll definitely be ordering. Cool that I saw the prelim for a piece of Eastman original art I have on one of the pages (ronin Leo). I've never seen it anywhere else in print. Such a cool book with amazing visuals. Nice job.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #367
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
I recommend everyone check out Peter's blog, he has a review up about this book and judging from his post... Well check it out for yourself...

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....ant-ninja.html

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #368
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior
 
Sofistocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
I recommend everyone check out Peter's blog, he has a review up about this book and judging from his post... Well check it out for yourself...

http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot....ant-ninja.html

-ms
I was gonna get the book... till I read the post. I think I'm good with reading PL's cliff notes in his post. Seems there was a good bit of erroneous info published and though I'd love to learn some new stuff about TMNT, I don't want to risk learning through skewed eyes... No offense to anyone as I know some of the collaborators frequent here. I found it most odd that so many, according to PL in his post, works of art went uncited...
__________________
Make like a tree and get outta here.

My Technodrome Forums TMNT Collection

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Buy Mark Martin's Original Art HERE
Sofistocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #369
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,782
Most of PL's qualms are about uncredited artwork though, and lack of pages for Volume 4 and Tales V. 2.

Outside a few errors he says the book is worth owning and has a place on his shelf. PL liked the book but I wish Andrew sent it to him to look over before it was printed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #370
DK2
Stone Warrior
 
DK2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 621
Well with Peters notes about the books layouts and uncredited art and some text info being a little off, thats a little disheartening to me. But he also implies that its still a good book. Would it really hurt to have had Eastman and Laird give it read through before it went to press? They got Kevin for the cover and and Peter did a forward intro (from what I can tell). They must've provided a chunk of the art thats used. I mean they'd at least know most of what happened, from their memories. I don't get why these editors and publishers can't let the folks in the know have a read through first. I know theres dead lines and stuff and of course Peter and Kevins availability, but it really should've been given a read through by the guys who knew it best.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #371
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
The factual errors (transcribed "LJN" as "LGN," spaced out and wrote "Massachusetts" instead of "New Hampshire") happen in ever book, no matter how many proofreaders go through them. Things like that are all in the very minor missteps category and get addressed in later printings.

Peter was very pleased with the book overall, though, and he and my editor are talking now, and I'm sure everything will get resolved to their mutual satisfaction.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #372
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post

Peter was very pleased with the book overall, though, and he and my editor are talking now, and I'm sure everything will get resolved to their mutual satisfaction.
Hm, does that mean a reprint of the book with a few of the changes he mentioned?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #373
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about the uncredited artwork?
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #374
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hm, does that mean a reprint of the book with a few of the changes he mentioned?
That's all being discussed right now. The handful of typos/minor factual errors will definitely be addressed in future printings, and those really shouldn't detract from anyone's reading experience.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #375
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
That's all being discussed right now. The handful of typos/minor factual errors will definitely be addressed in future printings, and those really shouldn't detract from anyone's reading experience.
I think the book is still fantastic with errors and all.

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #376
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
Am I the only one who really doesn't care about the uncredited artwork?
I don't mind it too much but this is the "Ultimate Visual History" - What better place to credit the art used within?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #377
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't mind it too much but this is the "Ultimate Visual History" - What better place to credit the art used within?
Yeah, that's a good point. But it doesn't make me like the book any less.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #378
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't mind it too much but this is the "Ultimate Visual History" - What better place to credit the art used within?
Again, that's something that my editor, Peter Laird and I are discussing right now. No disrespect was intended to any of the artists involved; the art placement generally worked out so that any names not mentioned in the captions were referred to in that particular chapter. More of a stylistic decision on the captions than an "error."
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #379
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
It's an amazing, beautiful book. I would've like to see more vol 4 and Tales vol 2 in there though. And some more pieces by Jim Lawson. The man has probably drawn more TMNT work than any other artist and he gets about two pieces in the book. Seems a shame. That's my only gripes though! It's actually beautiful, a must have for any fan!

Oh, and it's pretty awesome seeing some of my fellow dromer friends' names in the thank you page.
__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #380
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Yeah, I'd say that Tales Vol. 2 had some of the best and most important (world-building-wise) stories in the entire franchise, so to see it get almost completely ignored was more than a bit disheartening. It doesn't detract overall from the book, though. Despite Laird's misgivings, he is absolutely right when he says every TMNT fan should own this book.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2 week ban 4 farago, farago to the bathroom, iceldrome pee patrol, looky loo in the loo, peepee poopoo, sick fans, ultimate visual history


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.