The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #101
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
And at the end of the day that's all any of this is- OPINIONS. And ALL are valid, but some folks think theirs are superior, and that anyone with an alternate POV should be mocked. And it's ridiculous..
Actually, that's not at all true. Not ALL opinions are valid. Again, extreme example to prove a point - kinda my thing - but some people are of the Opinion that the Holocaust was a swell idea and would like to see someone try again. Clearly that person's opinion is Wrong, and if not, I'm... not sure I want to hear the reasons Why Not. They're wrong. They're Just Wrong. Just to establish, conclusively, that opinions can be Just Wrong. People seem to have a difficult time with this concept.

Further, I wouldn't quite mock or belittle someone JUST for their opinion, but I will take a look in how they came to their conclusion and go from there. As far as this particular movie goes, well... frankly, I dismiss any opinion that has nothing behind it other than "I liked/disliked it because I did", which is an uncomfortable number of people. And it's usually people whose Opinions are THAT shallow, that have a hard time when people point out that maybe they're not looking at things objectively. People who go out of their way to reject ANY critical objection/analysis of the movie, and call people things like "haters" for pointing out the numerous things, great and small, that are wrong with it.

Basically, I've noticed that, everything else being equal, people who Didn't like it can give a lot more reasons Why, than people who Did, and are much better at having a conversation about it without anyone's feelings getting hurt. Well, that may suck for people who liked it, but maybe the movie should have been better in the first place? Maybe "I liked it, leave mah movie alone!" by itself isn't worthy of being considered "discussion," "debate", or "discourse"?

Too many people want to argue that the sky is pink and call it "their opinion", then get pissy when people point out that there's holes in their logic. Not Okay. People need to either elevate their standards of entertainment, OR, get a thicker skin if they absolutely insist on liking awful things.

People can like awful things but you also shouldn't pretend they're good just because they're entertaining on a "what am I doing with my life" level.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #102
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
No, I've noticed it too. I don't have a "stick up my ass" about the movie (liked it, but admit it had flaws), but seriously, can't you say something besides snarky, sarcastic comments directed at not just the movie, but the people who liked it, TOO?! It really IS getting old, boring, and petty.
I don't give a f*ck.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #103
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
So much for diplomacy.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #104
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Perhaps t'was gunboat diplomacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So much for diplomacy.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #105
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So much for diplomacy.
Doesn't even matter.

They'll say I'm mean and then put me on ignore, they'll have had their little tantrum and then everything will be fine.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #106
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Totally understandable. However, I don't think that Holocaust example was the best. That wasn't simply an opinion, it was a complete mind-set from a very disturbed individual. Tried reading some of his auto-bio once- he was nuts. I think that's quite a bit different than just liking or disliking something.

That said, there were quite a few reasons I DID like it- I actually found the designs pretty good, for one thing. A bit "busy" in the gear, maybe, but otherwise likable. And Mikey's blatant crushing was pretty funny, to me, if slightly over-done. He's a raging ball of teen hormones, who's never been around a female before, so of course he's going to go overboard. And when he wasn't macking on April, he was actually pretty spot-on character-wise, unless we're going full-on Mirage, which I don't. I was kind of relieved he wasn't the dumbed-down Nick version.

The others were all pretty well-done. for me, too. Could've done without Donnie's pack and solar-panel gear, but.... *shrugs* Leo was the "best", and pretty dead-on, too. Liked his voice, and since I've never seen Jackass, I didn't care who it was.

The action was intense, exciting, and fun, and I enjoyed a lot of the humorous moments. Elevator scene. Nuff said. Only REAL problems I had were with Shredder and Sach's plan being kind of obvious from the get-go, but I tried not to put too much logic into that, given the police apparently weren't doing much about the Foot to begin with. I guess this New York is in a bubble-world where the government and other institutions don't exist. I'm okay with that, since it gave the boys a reason to be involved in the first place. Otherwise, they would just be- there? And April's connection at least made their involvement make sense. They inadvertently screwed up by taking her down to the lair. Oops. They made a mistake. I get that. Could've happened some other way, if she hadn't accidentally let the Foot right to them.

My biggest reason for liking it was probably the turtles themselves, but I found things all through the movie that I really liked for their own sake, as well as in context of the film. Story could have been better, but it's no worse than some other comic-based stories or movies I've seen. Middle of the road, I'd say.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #107
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
"Oh my god, how many times do we have to hear that you liked it? Jeeze we GET it MoVe ON! ShEEsh"
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #108
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
Doesn't even matter.

They'll say I'm mean and then put me on ignore, they'll have had their little tantrum and then everything will be fine.
By "they", I assume you mean everyone who's tired of hearing it? Yeah, let me go throw my "tantrum" now.... I didn't even say you were mean, just annoying. Let's move on, shall we?
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #109
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
"Oh my god, how many times do we have to hear that you liked it? Jeeze we GET it MoVe ON! ShEEsh"
Oh, sorry, I thought this was a reasonable discussion, not a rant-fest. My bad. I was answering Leo's post about folks not giving REASONS for liking it. Was that too much for you? Or are we only allowed to post snarky comments? Make up your mind, will you?!!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #110
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
By "they", I assume you mean everyone who's tired of hearing it? Yeah, let me go throw my "tantrum" now.... I didn't even say you were mean, just annoying. Let's move on, shall we?
The five or so people who can't handle sarcasm about their favorite dumb movie?

However will I go on with this knowledge?

Yeah I don't give a f*ck. Telling me over and over again isn't going to make me give a f*ck either.

So either put me on ignore or or grow the hell up.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #111
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewtheMirageTMNT View Post
I have a terrible feeling that we won't see super shredder.
I wouldn't be surprise if he shows up in some form of mutation. When he fell, He still had that canister of Ooze.

But I have a feeling the movie will be Shredder coming back, Eric Sacks gets out of jail and reunites with the Shredder, He figures out how to rework the mutagen to there advantage, and create Bebop and Rocksteady.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #112
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
I think you summed up my entire opinion on why I like the movie and the things that didn't bother me. May I quote you in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Totally understandable. However, I don't think that Holocaust example was the best. That wasn't simply an opinion, it was a complete mind-set from a very disturbed individual. Tried reading some of his auto-bio once- he was nuts. I think that's quite a bit different than just liking or disliking something.

That said, there were quite a few reasons I DID like it- I actually found the designs pretty good, for one thing. A bit "busy" in the gear, maybe, but otherwise likable. And Mikey's blatant crushing was pretty funny, to me, if slightly over-done. He's a raging ball of teen hormones, who's never been around a female before, so of course he's going to go overboard. And when he wasn't macking on April, he was actually pretty spot-on character-wise, unless we're going full-on Mirage, which I don't. I was kind of relieved he wasn't the dumbed-down Nick version.

The others were all pretty well-done. for me, too. Could've done without Donnie's pack and solar-panel gear, but.... *shrugs* Leo was the "best", and pretty dead-on, too. Liked his voice, and since I've never seen Jackass, I didn't care who it was.

The action was intense, exciting, and fun, and I enjoyed a lot of the humorous moments. Elevator scene. Nuff said. Only REAL problems I had were with Shredder and Sach's plan being kind of obvious from the get-go, but I tried not to put too much logic into that, given the police apparently weren't doing much about the Foot to begin with. I guess this New York is in a bubble-world where the government and other institutions don't exist. I'm okay with that, since it gave the boys a reason to be involved in the first place. Otherwise, they would just be- there? And April's connection at least made their involvement make sense. They inadvertently screwed up by taking her down to the lair. Oops. They made a mistake. I get that. Could've happened some other way, if she hadn't accidentally let the Foot right to them.

My biggest reason for liking it was probably the turtles themselves, but I found things all through the movie that I really liked for their own sake, as well as in context of the film. Story could have been better, but it's no worse than some other comic-based stories or movies I've seen. Middle of the road, I'd say.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #113
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
I don't give a f*ck.
lol. I mean, as brief as it is, Trick has a point.

I share his anger, obviously. I was on Bay's side in the beginning. I still stand behind my claim that BAY can make incredible action films. He can.

But he didn't "make" this film. This is all on Fuller and Liebseman, not wanting to so much make a film, but rather, a product. He stepped in, and tried to fix it, and it still sucked, mainly, because he was on TF4, not giving his full attention to this little remake they were doing, but also because he's not a fan, and I can't blame him. If someone asked me to make a Power Rangers film, it would SUCK HARD. I'm not the guy. BUT if they said, "If you make this Power Rangers film, you'll make Millions of Dollars, and all you need to do is put your name on it", well folks, i'm making that ****** PR film. My millions beat your opinion. Anyone would do the same.

He didn't go after the rights, FULLER did. FULLER asked to involve him. FULLER HAS SAID SO. But they didn't understand what they were supposed to make. They didn't get it, anyone arguing otherwise doesn't get it either. And that is impossibly frustrating.

I feel like other comicbooks are getting their due, while we are getting the scraps. I really do. And I also feel, that the only way to get them to pay attention, is to be as loud as I can, online. What other recourse is there? I can't accept this as the best we're going to get, and i can't accept that better isn't possible. There is a market for quality entertainment, don't kid yourself.

If i'm being absolutely honest, there have only been a handfull of moments in the entire history of TMNT's existence where the brand has actually been great. that's the truth, no matter how you slice it. More often than not, it's been sillified, and made for children. an ingenious idea has been trounced and trolliped, tarted and tainted for decades, because we we're all indoctrinated into as children.

We'll they sowed the oats in our youth, it's time to pay up folks.

The closest thing in recent memory of anything that brought out the kid in me, was Nicks hour long special back in the Summer. I actually thoroughly enjoyed that. I also really really enjoyed the Mirage segment in Turtles Forever. It was so fitting, to end the 4kids days with "oh, you want to see what the real turtles were like? Check this out".

Boom. It was amazing. It was meta. It was perfect.

That's the movie we deserved, as fans. We SHOULD be united, not arguing one another . We SHOULD be demanding better. We SHOULD be heard.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 01-17-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #114
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I hate it when my buddies can't get along. This Movie Ruins Everything.

Duckie: Well, from the other side, I thought that "Everything Wrong With" video could easily have been twice as long and that they left out a TON of things that could have been mentioned. I didn't find ANY of the "humor" funny in the least. The acting was terrible. The dialog delivery was painful. Logical inconsistencies and continuity problems galore. I could go on... and on... and on... I mean, for me, someone who cares as much about How movies are made, just the fact this thing was made with Zero care, by people who HAD zero care, is enough for me to paint it black.

Honestly... ((Deep Breath))... This is as nicely as I can say it: I honestly think someone can ONLY like this movie, if they made up their mind way, WAY before it ever existed that they were going to like it. It. Is. BAD. "It's TMNT" is literally the only "good" thing anyone could ever possibly say about it. Even they WAY they made it - taking one "Big" scene from an early draft and building every single script around it, completely making up the rest of the story on the fly AS they were making it, etc. - is textbook Bad Filmmaking. Even "nitpicky" stuff like "It's sunny, it's pouring rain, it's sunny again and everything's bone-dry"... that's bad. You're Not Supposed To Do That. It's a badly-made film. It is a film that was made badly. People can't just say that's not true. It's entirely true and it's not merely Opinions.

And to me, the example I gave IS fitting, because this is a smaller scale, but at the same time it IS a debate about a mindset, an ethos, that being whether or not people should tolerate/celebrate movies that are Openly Bad On Purpose, because "they're just movies so whatevs, no bigs", or if people, especially fans, deserve something more substantial. My argument? No, you NEVER make a bad movie on purpose, and as a fan, you damn sure don't eat it with a smile, you throw it back in their face and demand they do better next time. Others disagree and are more casual about it. Fair enough. But since they seemingly care so little about the quality of their entertainment, or whether or not any kind of thought or effort goes into it, it begs the question why they like Anything. I mean, is it like kittens with string? "I just like it, and I don't know why, I just do?"

That's... "Better"? "Nicer"? "More Positive"? Not... not really.
--------------------------------------------------------------

42: Damn, man, you nailed that pretty solid.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #115
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
The five or so people who can't handle sarcasm about their favorite dumb movie?

either put me on ignore or or grow the hell up.

You first. I can take plenty of criticism about a movie- can't stand rude and snotty attitudes, though. It's uncalled for. And I can be sarcastic to people, too- I just generally choose NOT to. There's such a thing as courtesy- didn't you know? Here's a thought- if you hate it so much, why keep posting about it? Or even be in this sub-forum at all? Yeah, THAT makes about as much sense as Sach's plan.... (See, I can do the sarcastic movie comment, too.)
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #116
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
can't stand rude and snotty attitudes, though.
If you can't, then why haven't you put me on ignore yet?

I mean, I know why, but I doubt you do.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #117
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wouldn't be surprise if he shows up in some form of mutation. When he fell, He still had that canister of Ooze.
Think he also had a touch of it on his finger.

Now what that's supposed to imply when he's wearing a largely impenetrable suit - that broke the ground instead of himself after the fall - and mutagen that appears to require injection... who knows. I suppose it's magic human-healing powers saved him through the suit.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #118
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
If i'm being absolutely honest, there have only been a handfull of moments in the entire history of TMNT's existence where the brand has actually been great. that's the truth, no matter how you slice it. More often than not, it's been sillified, and made for children. an ingenious idea has been trounced and trolliped, tarted and tainted for decades, because we we're all indoctrinated into as children.
I don't agree with you 100%. I think it's more accurate to say that the most public aspects of the Ninja Turtles have been the sillified juvenile series: Next Mutation, the movies, and the Fred Wolf cartoon. All of the comic series (Mirage, Image, IDW, even Adventures) were serious and aimed at adults as much as teens. And those are the ones people never know about, in my experience.

The Fred Wolf cartoon is a huge double-edged sword. Without it, I don't think TMNT would ever have seen life as more than Mirage Volume 1. Fred Wolf popularized it and marketed the HELL out of it. But it did so at the cost of TMNT's credibility and appeal to mature audiences. And so we are forever damned by "Cowabunga" and pizza. Bittersweet.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #119
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Think he also had a touch of it on his finger.

Now what that's supposed to imply when he's wearing a largely impenetrable suit - that broke the ground instead of himself after the fall - and mutagen that appears to require injection... who knows. I suppose it's magic human-healing powers saved him through the suit.
The thing is, How do they know the Mutagen has magical healing powers, When they tested on the Turtles, We saw what resulted, Eric Sacks was surprised by the result of the mutagen, So with that knowledge, He can create a army of Super Soldiers for the Foot Clan.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #120
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The thing is, How do they know the Mutagen has magical healing powers, When they tested on the Turtles, We saw what resulted, Eric Sacks was surprised by the result of the mutagen, So with that knowledge, He can create a army of Super Soldiers for the Foot Clan.
Yeah, exactly, and probably another thing that cinema sins video should have pointed out. Sacks runs off with that canister, set on having his plan back in action after drawing mutagen out of the Turtles who...I can only assume were not an expected result? So the mutagen that was lost within them when the lab was destroyed was not yet perfected or human tested, but now it's suddenly fine... righhhhht.

Although the Turtles supposedly used the mutagen to save Splinter, so maybe they did swipe the canister? Leaving Shredder with only the dab on his finger. I guess he could use that small sample to try to recreate it, maybe.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tmnt 2


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.