The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #41
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It has long given me a small laugh when I've occasionally seen kids around middle school/junior high school age asking online if it's okay to still like cartoons. That age group gets so concerned with what is or isn't a "grown up" thing to be interested in, with cartoons being a big one.

And then you get older and realize it's harmless to enjoy these things and that there would be no cartoons if there were no adults who like them and choose to have a career making them.
When you're 14-15 you start trying to act more grown up and feeling peer pressured to stop liking "kid things". When I was that age I wanted to watch more violent entertainment on tv.

It's funny how when we're teenagers we want adults to treat us like adults, but we're actually still kids
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
When I was a teenager in the early 2000's I was watching TMNT, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Justice League, Teen Titans, X-men Evolution, Jackie Chan Adventures, Simpsons and Futurama.

What a time to be alive.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #43
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
When I was a teenager in the early 2000's I was watching TMNT, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Justice League, Teen Titans, X-men Evolution, Jackie Chan Adventures, Simpsons and Futurama.

What a time to be alive.
There was a jackie Chan cartoon? What?
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #44
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
When I was a teen, I was still watching TMNT's first cartoon series. I feel old. (But so are the Turtles, so there's at least good company. )
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #45
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
When I was a teen, I was still watching TMNT's first cartoon series. I feel old. (But so are the Turtles, so there's at least good company. )
Until I was 12-13 I sorta looked up the Turtles as if they were my older brothers or something. Or the cool kid at school.

As an adult now I see them as a bit immature at times. In some years form now I'll be old enough to be their chaperone or something. That's kinda sad.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There was a jackie Chan cartoon? What?
Surprised you never heard of it. It lasted 5 seasons and was pretty popular. It aired in the early 2000's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_Adventures
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #47
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Surprised you never heard of it. It lasted 5 seasons and was pretty popular. It aired in the early 2000's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_Adventures
Perhaps it didn't air in my country or in a channel early in the morning that I don't watch. I preferred to watch animated series on cable since they were more likely to be subbed than dubbed.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #48
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I recall watching cartoons in secret from the age of circa 12 and later.
Lmao, you just reminded me of a funny story.

I was in 7th grade when season 1 of the 4kids show came out, and was definitely a closet geek with no one go discuss cartoons with. So since TMNT came on either right before or after Yu-Gi-Oh, I thought I'd approach the "nerds" and ask if they watched Turtles.

Their ring leader scoffed at me: "pff, Ninja Turtles is for babies".

I never felt so alone
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #49
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Lmao, you just reminded me of a funny story.

I was in 7th grade when season 1 of the 4kids show came out, and was definitely a closet geek with no one go discuss cartoons with. So since TMNT came on either right before or after Yu-Gi-Oh, I thought I'd approach the "nerds" and ask if they watched Turtles.

Their ring leader scoffed at me: "pff, Ninja Turtles is for babies".

I never felt so alone
I was very happy when the 2k3 series came out. I could finally have TMNT toys... even if I was already 13-14 at the time.

That's right, I played with toys up until I was 16-17.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #50
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Until I was 12-13 I sorta looked up the Turtles as if they were my older brothers or something. Or the cool kid at school.

As an adult now I see them as a bit immature at times. In some years form now I'll be old enough to be their chaperone or something. That's kinda sad.
I know what you mean. When the OT started I was an 8-year-old while they were portrayed as these cool teenagers. Now I see a series like this youthful seeming Nick version and I just wanna go be like their mom figure or something. This happened when?? lol

Although collectively I tend to think of TMNT as their would-be real life age (if the first sketch or first comic was their 'birth') and really hope for a series someday of grown up TMNT that will catch them up to it. So many kids who are fans of Nick's TMNT prob have no idea these guys are technically 33-years-old. I just wish to amaze their little minds with that info. lol Getting up there a bit, Turtles.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #51
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I know what you mean. When the OT started I was an 8-year-old while they were portrayed as these cool teenagers. Now I see a series like this youthful seeming Nick version and I just wanna go be like their mom figure or something. This happened when?? lol

Although collectively I tend to think of TMNT as their would-be real life age (if the first sketch or first comic was their 'birth') and really hope for a series someday of grown up TMNT that will catch them up to it.
Well, they don't really act like 14 year olds in the FW or the 2k3 series. More like 18-19. $kids Raph certainly doesn't sound like a teenager.

Nick Turtles are a bit too young, imo.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #52
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Yeah, I wish Nick would have aged this version up more than they did, at least in terms of behavior/interaction.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #53
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I was very happy when the 2k3 series came out. I could finally have TMNT toys... even if I was already 13-14 at the time.

That's right, I played with toys up until I was 16-17.
There's nothing wrong with playing with toys at a later age; be it 16, 20, 30, or whatever age you might be.

I've never stopped buying toys and playing with them, and I'm at an age where still buying toys gets me weird looks from people.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #54
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
There's nothing wrong with playing with toys at a later age; be it 16, 20, 30, or whatever age you might be.

I've never stopped buying toys and playing with them, and I'm at an age where still buying toys gets me weird looks from people.
I haven't played with my action figures in years. But I haven't thrown them away yet for some odd reason.

The last ones I've bought were 3-4 years ago and they're still left in unopen.
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #55
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,190
Balance is key to everything in life including fandom. Is it normal to be 30+ and like nerdy stuff? Of course it's no different than liking cars/sports/fashion/whatever but it is a little less socially acceptable, who cares if it's what you like. However if you dedicate yourself to only that one thing mainly like those people who have entire rooms full of stuff of one franchise only I think that's going too far in general but different strokes for different folks.

With that said if it's actually affecting your life then it is a problem you need to look into while it's not a drug addiction it's still something that's affecting your life and maybe that's what your mother/sister bother you about it Jephael or maybe not I don't really know your situation and they could just be mean about something they don't understand. Is it affecting you is the question you need to ask yourself. Do you go into the fandom and your love for TMNT to escape life and go back to your years as a kid when things were simple? That's good in small doses but dangerous in large amounts since you are trying relive your past instead of living your present. I am guilty of overdoing nostalgia but I realize the cost of it so I try to balance it out which like I mentioned is key. You mention "if I had a girlfriend.." well why don't you try to find someone? Are you socially awkward/shy/feel like an idiot/have social anxiety? Well doesn't matter get out there and fail over and over again, dating like most things in life is a numbers game and the law of average does work. There are tons of girls who are also socially awkward/shy/feel like idiots/have social anxiety waiting for someone as well.

In my case I stopped liking cartoons/kid stuff as I turned 13 and not so much because of social pressure, I was a shamed of liking Pokemon but still did and yet I stopped because my likes expanded on other things teenagers do/like. When I was a junior in high school I rediscovered my love for cartoons/geeky stuff and realized at that stage of my teenage years no one really gave a sh-t about what I liked and was open about it and have been for the most part until recently, as I get to my 30s I do feel a little embarrassed again so I'm definitely trying to find a new balance between geeky stuff and being an adult but I'll never stop loving the things i like. My girlfriend knows I like geeky stuff but she doesn't really understand it at all but she's learned to accept it, for some weird reason she thinks I'm way geekier than I am since to her anything even slightly nerdy is like super dorky but oh well, if she only knew the people I've interacted with online



Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I get that. I could shift gears, it's two months TMNT, then shift gears again, delve two months into DC Comics, shift again, and focus on Highlander. It's not our fault, though, really
That's how I am, I shift into different things, I can be totally into TMNT for 1-4 months but I get burnt out and then go to the next geeky thing that holds my interest for a few weeks. I like it since it keeps things fresh. I don't know how people can be into 1 thing mainly all year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
One way to not get judged by your love of something is to in turn not judge others for their love of something.
haha if only that were true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Surprised you never heard of it. It lasted 5 seasons and was pretty popular. It aired in the early 2000's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_Adventures
I"ve been told it's generic to great and don't know if I should check it out. I only want to because I love jackie but this cartoon while using his face has nothing to do with him outside of some intros so I think I want to check it out only for the name and five seasons is a lot of commitment..
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #56
Storm Eagle
Saved by
 
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,389
Nobody has looked down upon me for being a Ninja Turtles fan. Some years ago though, when I was at my mother's house, I was watching the first Ninja Turtles movie. She asked me what I was watching, and I told her. She asked me if I haven't grown out of Ninja Turtles yet, and I told her that not many people have.

I kind of grew out of it around the early 90s though, and moved on to other things. However, I was interested in seeing TMNT III, only to not enjoy it when I did see it. I even had zero interest in The Next Mutation whatsoever (and that has not changed), but it was the 2003 series that rekindled my interest, and I even started buying the DVDs for that, as well as the 80s series, and the movies.

I've been shamed for a number of things, but being a Ninja Turtles fan, fortunately, just wasn't one of them.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
I'm now sadly in my early 30's (I wish I was still in my 20's), and I still watch cartoons, play videogames daily, and read TMNT comics.

The only thing I stopped was buying action figures, because I can't be bothered anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #58
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
The average videogame player is now 31 (2014)

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/29/ga...-on-a-console/
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #59
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm now sadly in my early 30's (I wish I was still in my 20's), and I still watch cartoons, play videogames daily, and read TMNT comics.

The only thing I stopped was buying action figures, because I can't be bothered anymore.
Well what did you think you'd be doing at age 30-31 if not playing games, reading comics or watching cartons? What do you think your hobbies would be?
__________________
Check my gaming and anime youtube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/@KaiserBunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #60
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
When I watched cartoons and some other TV-series in secret by 12, I first checked out nobody else was where the TV-set was standing in a corner. If someone came down, I changed channel. Also, I tried to not have the volume too loud.

There were windows (through which you can see what programme is watched), and sometimes I checked them. Even if I knew there was noone in the garden, it always felt someone was watching through. So every fifth minute or so I had to catch an eye onto the windows. But then it was like the entire world was watching and listening outside the windows in the garden.

Has anyone else been in that situation?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.