The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #81
d_osborn
Mad Scientist
 
d_osborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,424
I like the idea of the street art posters, but I really wish the spray paint textures had been handled a little better. It looks like the artist used some sort of basic smearing/blurring to give a stencil look instead of digging into more accurate textures for the medium. More splatters, too. They're way better than floating head posters, though.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #82
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
For marketing, I prefer simplicity. See Batman '89 style marketing.
You mean the very sleek oval Batman symbol? I agree that was very cool but imagine if the posters and billboards and the like was that same Bat symbol drawn with a sharpie. Wouldn't look as good, would it?

Also that movie initially had a lot of the same stigma that this movie had but he released a neat trailer early on that put fans fears very comfortably to rest. This has not.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #83
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
These are just crude line drawings and the turtles poses seem to be conveniently designs to obscure their abundance of accessories as well as show them with more standard faces. You don't really get anything from this.
i definitely agree that they seem to be trying to kinda obscure how weird the new designs look. but i also think they've chosen to do it in a way that (and your mileage may vary on whether its good or bad) is consistent with the type of imagery that has been coming out so far.

the ampersand pic, the color swatch pic and now a kind of graffiti/art/banksy wanna be style series of posters. seems like they're going a little more abstract as opposed to outright action, in your face imagery.

philosophically, if they're banking on a lot of people coming to see this sheerly outta nostalgia, then i think this is genius. it NOT being outright pics and examples of EXACTLY what we'll see in the flick may work better at attracting the general masses because they wont see the new stuff and automatically hate it, like so many tend to do. after transformers, im sure the producers kind of expect that to happen from the hard cores to the casuals. people seem to not like change AT ALL.

honestly, i've gotten used to the new designs. i still think shredder is way too busy, but so crazy it works, and based on the action figure, splinter looks awkward with his hair bun and i really think mikey's face is ridiculous, but the other turtles look fine.
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #84
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Do you not understand the difference between simple and crude?



Because you can't counter my point?
My buddy already did.. look above smart guy. I understand that you guys continue to shift.. constantly. I understand that your engaging in the same slander campaign and no matter what they put out it's gonna be the same " Nope.. I don't like it... Nope I don't like it.. Nope I don't like it..
Which is fine.. to each their own.. I just don't have the energy anymore.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #85
RaphAndDonnie
Stone Warrior
 
RaphAndDonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 769
The posters look...Ok, except for Shredder. His mask looks cool but what is up with those giant claw hands? Regardless I kinda like the posters. I like the black and white feel, it looks good.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaucey View Post
I love 2012 Mikey. He is like Joey from friends.
My art is here!: http://suzukipot.deviantart.com/
And my fanfics are here!:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3865667/suzukipot
RaphAndDonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #86
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac brave View Post
i definitely agree that they seem to be trying to kinda obscure how weird the new designs look. but i also think they've chosen to do it in a way that (and your mileage may vary on whether its good or bad) is consistent with the type of imagery that has been coming out so far.

the ampersand pic, the color swatch pic and now a kind of graffiti/art/banksy wanna be style series of posters. seems like they're going a little more abstract as opposed to outright action, in your face imagery.

philosophically, if they're banking on a lot of people coming to see this sheerly outta nostalgia, then i think this is genius. it NOT being outright pics and examples of EXACTLY what we'll see in the flick may work better at attracting the general masses because they wont see the new stuff and automatically hate it, like so many tend to do. after transformers, im sure the producers kind of expect that to happen from the hard cores to the casuals. people seem to not like change AT ALL.

honestly, i've gotten used to the new designs. i still think shredder is way too busy, but so crazy it works, and based on the action figure, splinter looks awkward with his hair bun and i really think mikey's face is ridiculous, but the other turtles look fine.
People don't like bad change.

Nolan's Batman films were considerably different from Burton's and that was a very successful, billion dollar franchise.

Helps that it was more faithful to a specific Batman ideal, but that only matters to us nerds. They were ALSO good, exciting movies that were very entertaining.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.

Last edited by TrickOrTreater; 06-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #87
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
FYI You didn't respond to the rest of my post about Shredder's over the top appearance in general, and even more exaggerated states in other versions of the material ...
shredders never been this over the top though..he has never had excessive spikes or blades like this...even in series like 2k3 he has been very subtle..the only other over the top shredder was cyber shredder from back to the sewers and super shredder in SOTO
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle

Last edited by The Boston Ninja Turtle; 06-09-2014 at 07:04 PM.
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #88
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Because I don't have Photoshop, I don't have a computer stylus, and I don't have the character models handy. In fact, I don't have any clear pictures of these turtles taken from the film. Maybe if they stopped focusing on Megan Fox for a few minutes, I could actually see some images of what the turtles will look like in the movie.
hm.

you should get photoshop and a stylus. then you could totes get into the movie marketing art racket and make some bucks, bro!

on an only slightly related note...

i just noticed that, in terms of poster and billboard marketing, there hasn't been any april or vernon or splinter stuff.

i do like that they seem to be focusing on the brothers and shredder. at least right now, initially.
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #89
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
FYI You didn't respond to the rest of my post about Shredder's over the top appearance in general, and even more exaggerated states in other versions of the material ...
It's the exact reason I decided to "give up" lol..
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #90
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
People don't like bad change.

Nolan's Batman films were considerably different from Burton's but that was a very successful, billion dollar franchise.

Helps that it was more faithful to a specific Batman ideal, but that only matters to us nerds. They were ALSO good, exciting movies that were very entertaining.
true. and this movie already has so many strikes against it...

hopefully this'll AT LEAST be entertaining, if not good.
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #91
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
Smear campaign.

I don't like this ... Nope, not that either. Everything sucks.

Careful hehe.. " SO WE"RE SUPPOSED TO LIKE EVERYTHING???" 3...2...1..

Edit: Look at all those over the top blades.. I repeat... I give up lol
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #92
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
Shredder at the start of the series is decked out in entirely metal armor.
but then are you only comparing one shredder or all shredders?...cause in your posts you seem to be generalizing all shredders


Quote:
Edit: Look at all those over the top blades.. I repeat... I give up lol
but are they stand alone shredders? no....it is a shredder who kept trying to defeat the turtles so he got bigger and badder as the story progressed...he didn't start that way, he was very sleek and reserved "classic" shredder look

only after so many defeats that he went "over the top"

and i am pretty sure one of the mega shredders is from the alternate timeline that was "Same as it never was"

then one being a night mare and another being a clone ish thing

even tengu shredder had a very "classic" simple shredder look and he was a demon




i hate to say this because i know you guys are just going to label me a troll for having a different view, but if this is your defense i must ask..do you understand the source you are pulling from....sure i havent seen all of 2k3 but ive seen enough to know that shredder stayed pretty simple for a lone time

and also it is the same shredder the entire time...not many shredders who designed them selves to look that way..but one guy who kept wanting to win..AFTER many losses to the turtles
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle

Last edited by The Boston Ninja Turtle; 06-09-2014 at 07:16 PM.
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #93
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
Shredder at the start of the series is decked out in entirely metal armor. Before he just had a pink outfit and bladed shoulders, wrists, shin guards, and mask. He's turned into a full on cyborg in the series.

It progressively gets more, and more ridiculous as the series progresses. Stuff far more exaggerated than what we're getting.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...142db621_o.PNG

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3046/2...3ba03a8d02.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2375/2...3dcccbc50c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3245/2...afc3ec4021.jpg
Yes and all of these are bad. What's your point?

Except for the first one, which isn't bad so much as not ideal.

Here he is as he first appeared in 2003:



Slightly more armor than usual? Sure. But that's not a bad thing in theory.

This is considerably better than the mess in this new movie.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #94
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
and there was also this...with metal that for whatever reason mutated too...





yeah, original movie shredder design aside, the first version of 2k3 shredder is my fave.

EDIT: oh, snap! i almost forgot IDW shredder. i LOVE his costume design. the scarf mask is ill as fukc!
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.


Last edited by zodiac brave; 06-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.
zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #95
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
but then are you only comparing one shredder or all shredders?...cause in your posts you seem to be generalizing all shredders




but are they stand alone shredders? no....it is a shredder who kept trying to defeat the turtles so he got bigger and badder as the story progressed...he didn't start that way, he was very sleek and reserved "classic" shredder look

only after so many defeats that he went "over the top"

and i am pretty sure one of the mega shredders is from the alternate timeline that was "Same as it never was"

then one being a night mare and another being a clone ish thing


i hate to say this because i know you guys are just going to label me a troll for having a different view, but if this is your defense i must ask..do you understand the source you are pulling from....sure i havent seen all of 2k3 but ive seen enough to know that shredder stayed pretty simple for a lone time

and also it is the same shredder the entire time...not many shredders who designed them selves to look that way..but one guy who kept wanting to win..AFTER many losses to the turtles
Soo... what's wrong with starting out with a villain that seems unbeatable... is it that crazy or ridiculous to see a villain like Shredder and think to yourself... Oh my god... how are they going to beat this guy.. I just don't get what the logic is.. What's the problem? I cant believe people are making this a "problem"..

Edit: Zodiac: Look at that.. and that villain didn't even have 5 minutes of screen time before killing himself
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #96
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
Soo... what's wrong with starting out with a villain that seems unbeatable... is it that crazy or ridiculous to see a villain like Shredder and think to yourself... Oh my god... how are they going to beat this guy.. I just don't get what the logic is.. What's the problem? I cant believe people are making this a "problem"..

Edit: Zodiac: Look at that.. and that villain didn't even have 5 minutes of screen time before killing himself
i can see why it bothers some people just from a design standpoint, because (and i've said this before) this new movie shredder looks like a mortal kombat character...all extreme and like hes ready to do a fatality.

again, ive said this before as well, it looks so crazy thats it gotta be interesting at the very least. now that im looking at it, it does have a very busy, super detailed, over designed bayformers look. kinda like megatron.

as for the whole "evolution of the shredder" from 2k3...its still the character, or an echo of what that character represents to the tmnt. for all intents and purposes, regardless of whether its a robot or clone or alt reality version...those are all THE SHREDDER.
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #97
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
Soo... what's wrong with starting out with a villain that seems unbeatable
absolutely nothing, Shredder is one of my Top 5 super villains

but i don't need giant blades and a mech suit to feel intimidated by him, that is something that over the years has kept shredder so high on my list

he is meant to be an ultimate ninja master..with no equal since the death/disappearance of yoshi

this 2014 shredder is a prime example of show not tell...he is big and sharp so of course he is dangerous

the turtles have always struggled with the shredder, he didnt need to become megatron to be unbeatable

in the first movie he pretty much destroys them nd even admits that they could've taken him had they fought together and only lost one brother in the battle


watch that fight again and tell me is that the fighting of a man who cant win or a guy toying with his prey...he is constantly taunting them only to be stopped by a lucky shot from leo

and he gets defeated because he looses focus ala splinter
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #98
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
Soo... what's wrong with starting out with a villain that seems unbeatable... is it that crazy or ridiculous to see a villain like Shredder and think to yourself... Oh my god... how are they going to beat this guy.. I just don't get what the logic is.. What's the problem? I cant believe people are making this a "problem"..
Because Shredder needs to look ridiculously over the top to seem unbeatable.

Maybe he could have done that through his ACTIONS and demonstration of ninja skill and ruthlessness instead of 6 machetes on each mecha robot suit arm.

Quote:
and that villain didn't even have 5 minutes of screen time before killing himself
So because past iterations of Shredder were less desirable to flat out bad it's okay that this movie's is too?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #99
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
absolutely nothing, Shredder is one of my Top 5 super villains

but i don't need giant blades and a mech suit to feel intimidated by him, that is something that over the years has kept shredder so high on my list

he is meant to be an ultimate ninja master..with no equal since the death/disappearance of yoshi

this 2014 shredder is a prime example of show not tell...he is big and sharp so of course he is dangerous

the turtles have always struggled with the shredder, he didnt need to become megatron to be unbeatable

in the first movie he pretty much destroys them nd even admits that they could've taken him had they fought together and only lost one brother in the battle


watch that fight again and tell me is that the fighting of a man who cant win or a guy toying with his prey...he is constantly taunting them only to be stopped by a lucky shot from leo

and he gets defeated because he looses focus ala splinter
Well how can you say it's just "show" without the tell when you haven't seen the film.. what about context.. buildup.. it's hard to "tell" when you haven't seen the movie. I know everyone hates it when you say that but it's true.

He isn't "megatron "... He's Shredder.. just not the exact Shredder we remember.. and that's fine imo. I like the fact that he seems unbeatable.. I makes it interesting.. I don't care that he's bladed from head to toe.. He's called the Shredder for a reason and that reason is apparent now.. Yea it's over the top.. but that's how I like it.. It's a taste thing. So you're not "wrong" for disliking it. but it's not outright "wrong" for the Character.

Edit: Ill judge better when I watch him enter the lair and approach Splinter.. but I think the fact that his suit is soo over the top could very well make him more intimidating.. I mean.. if I woke up and saw that in my room... id piss all over myself.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #100
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowChucker View Post
What's so blasphemous about that? The unique style, the theme, the deliberate street feel to it with the spray paint. Mirage black and white color scheme.
I didn't say it was blasphemous or even bad art in itself and as Zodiac Brave said it's probably a good thing this art obscures the new designs but the idea of these being hailed as the best TMNT posters ever I think has more to do with the supporters of this movie hyping everything to do with it as the best thing ever than a objective view.

Quote:
It trumps everything I've ever seen for Ninja Turtle films. The original teaser / theatrical poster got me amped as a child. It's the 2nd best. But these crap on everything else.
The posters for the first two TMNT movies still get referenced in media all the time, do you really really expect these posters will years from now?

Again the Imagi movie wasn't the best but comparing the individual turtle posters to these ones I'd strongly argue the 2007 movie takes it.

Quote:
The simpler approach is still comical, and very much over the top. The entire concept of the ninja turtles in it's original conception is commentary, and poking fun at comic book tropes. "Splinter" ... "Shredder"
Well it's more of a nod to a specific comic book story and yes, it's still somewhat over-the-top in the sense that any comic book costume is over-the-top but relatively speaking the Shredder's outfit in the Mirage books is quite understated

Quote:
They make light of the fact he is decked out in unnecessary razor blades. It's over the top version of samurai armor. Did you complain this much about the 2k3, and Nick Shredder designs? Which in many cases are even more over the top compared to this.
Actually I cast my mind back to see if I could remember how many versions the turtles have actually made light of the Shredder and I can only think of two examples.

I was mainly talking about the original intent of the comic design but since people have made an issue of it I thought the original 2k3 design was a good upgrade. It was pretty sleek looking armor in the early seasons. True given the twist to the Shredder's origin he later sported more sci fi designs but bare in mind that twist wasn't that well received with every fan and it wasn't long before he was sporting his standard armor.

The 2012 version has one retractable blade per arm that I don't think is too long. If he sprung SIX retractable blades per arm that were all as long as his actual arm like the Platinum Dunes version I'd think differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
My buddy already did.. look above smart guy. I understand that you guys continue to shift.. constantly. I understand that your engaging in the same slander campaign and no matter what they put out it's gonna be the same " Nope.. I don't like it... Nope I don't like it.. Nope I don't like it..
Which is fine.. to each their own.. I just don't have the energy anymore.
You keep criticizing my writing style rather than counter any points I make which makes me wonder if it's because you actually can't counter them.

I'm not shifting any of my views. Again there's a difference between a simple symbol presented in a professional looking style and something which looks like graffiti. One is simple, the other is crude...or rather supposed to look crude. I get that it's intentional but I don't agree it's the best way to sell the movie.

Also why do you say I am conducting a smear campaign? What possible incentive could I have to do that. It seems paranoid, isn't it more likely that I just flat out don't like a lot of stuff to do with this movie and aren't shy on voicing my opinion?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.