The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #1241
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
bebop and rocksteady had painted teeth so Playmates has no excuse why they didn't paint Stockman's Also how do you paint his hair blk but miss his mustache.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #1242
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
bebop and rocksteady had painted teeth so Playmates has no excuse why they didn't paint Stockman's Also how do you paint his hair blk but miss his mustache.
Same reason they painted Rocksteady's shoulder gold but couldn't paint the emblems on his hands gold?

Rocksteady's second horn was also not painted. And both rocksteady and baxter fly feature 6 points of articulation.... I think they are on par in terms of quality.
which is decent especially since Playmates' last wave was that disappointing Mystic Turtles. I would get Baxter Fly.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:29 AM   #1243
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
What is this, hot toys???
You're complaining a $9 figure doesn't have those minute details??
Because necks, mustaches, and teeth are such minute details. This figuee feels like It should be $5 and will NEED customizing to look good and that shouldn't be the case

Edit: Powder got to it first

Last edited by Ninturtle; 03-12-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #1244
Mew
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
Because necks, mustaches, and teeth are such minute details. This figuee feels like It should be $5 and will NEED customizing to look good and that shouldn't be the case
Put this and the Mystics at the Dollar Tree.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #1245
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
Got baxter fly today. My issues with the paint and limited articulation on most figures are well documented so I'll just talk about what I *do* like.

-Sculpt is really good especially the head. Captures him so very well.
-Love the ball jointed head, you can get some really good range of motion out of it. Most of these 2012 figures you can move the head left or right but very little side to side or up/down, but baxter has one of the best articulated heads of any figure in this line.
-Great painted eyes, it captures that insect look very well
-The wings also articulate very well because they are on ball joints too. the joints are pretty stiff so the wings don't fall down, they hold their place well and I really like that. I also like the transparent plastic they are made out of.
-I like the chocolate bar baxter comes with. you could easily give it to one of the turtles, it makes a nice prop.

It's just too bad the issues we're all aware of with this line hold it back from being a truly great figure because the potential is DEFINITELY there.

One of the best villain figs. I recommend seeking him out.

Best villain figures to-date from my POV:
#1 Shredder 2
#2 Tiger Claw
#3 Newtralizer
#4 Baxter Fly

I hope Mondo Gecko and Muckman turn out well.

Last edited by Zulithe; 03-12-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #1246
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Got baxter fly today. My issues with the paint and limited articulation on most figures are well documented so I'll just talk about what I *do* like.

-Sculpt is really good especially the head. Captures him so very well.
-Love the ball jointed head, you can get some really good range of motion out of it. Most of these 2012 figures you can move the head left or right but very little side to side or up/down, but baxter has one of the best articulated heads of any figure in this line.
-Great painted eyes, it captures that insect look very well
-The wings also articulate very well because they are on ball joints too. the joints are pretty stiff so the wings don't fall down, they hold their place well and I really like that. I also like the transparent plastic they are made out of.
-I like the chocolate bar baxter comes with. you could easily give it to one of the turtles, it makes a nice prop.

It's just too bad the issues we're all aware of with this line hold it back from being a truly great figure because the potential is DEFINITELY there.

One of the best villain figs. I recommend seeking him out.

Best villain figures to-date from my POV:
#1 Shredder 2
#2 Tiger Claw
#3 Newtralizer
#4 Baxter Fly

I hope Mondo Gecko and Muckman turn out well.
agreed i like the eyes on Baxter Fly and that his wings are articulated
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #1247
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Got baxter fly today. My issues with the paint and limited articulation on most figures are well documented so I'll just talk about what I *do* like.

-Sculpt is really good especially the head. Captures him so very well.
-Love the ball jointed head, you can get some really good range of motion out of it. Most of these 2012 figures you can move the head left or right but very little side to side or up/down, but baxter has one of the best articulated heads of any figure in this line.
-Great painted eyes, it captures that insect look very well
-The wings also articulate very well because they are on ball joints too. the joints are pretty stiff so the wings don't fall down, they hold their place well and I really like that. I also like the transparent plastic they are made out of.
-I like the chocolate bar baxter comes with. you could easily give it to one of the turtles, it makes a nice prop.

It's just too bad the issues we're all aware of with this line hold it back from being a truly great figure because the potential is DEFINITELY there.

One of the best villain figs. I recommend seeking him out.

Best villain figures to-date from my POV:
#1 Shredder 2
#2 Tiger Claw
#3 Newtralizer
#4 Baxter Fly

I hope Mondo Gecko and Muckman turn out well.
Once I paint his mustache and teeth he won't be half bad.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #1248
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,423
I'm probably gonna regret this, but does anyone have a fully painted Baxter Fly so i can see where the mustache is?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #1249
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
I'm probably gonna regret this, but does anyone have a fully painted Baxter Fly so i can see where the mustache is?
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #1250
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
It isn't that obvious.... I'm more pissed with the thorn in the middle of his chest.

Last edited by Spidergreg; 03-30-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #1251
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post

Best villain figures to-date from my POV:
#1 Shredder 2
#2 Tiger Claw
#3 Newtralizer
#4 Baxter Fly

I hope Mondo Gecko and Muckman turn out well.
What a sad list.... non of those in your list have elbow joints.

Last edited by Spidergreg; 03-30-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 AM   #1252
DVD
Mad Scientist
 
DVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
I'm probably gonna regret this, but does anyone have a fully painted Baxter Fly so i can see where the mustache is?
Here you go:



I missed the tash first time around.

Last edited by DVD; 03-13-2015 at 02:51 AM.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #1253
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Here you go:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/a...B173E05696.jpg

I missed the tash first time around.
I think i read somewhere you didn't do this right? You got someone else to do it for you? Hell of a job mixing colors to get the brown spikes as close to his skin tone as the guy did there.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 AM   #1254
DVD
Mad Scientist
 
DVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,066
Haha! Yup. I could not do that.
My mates an art teacher. He did it. He's doing the Mystics as well.
He arranged the right paints for me and plans are that he will teach me how to do the mixing.
This Baxter is an awesome figure. Zulithe hit the nail on the head; it's a great sculpt. I've liked it from day one.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #1255
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
I've been collecting all of the Nick stuff so far, but if they don't stop releasing turtles with unpainted foot wraps, hand wraps, etc, then I am out. I can understand something as small as Baxter's mustache, or other tiny details, but those wraps are pretty major. I am quite good at painting myself, but I shouldn't have to! This is unacceptable.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #1256
mexichrist83
Hench Mutant
 
mexichrist83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 273
I may be ignorant when it comes to painting figures since I have never done so but I would assume that painting smaller areas of a figure would be more difficult and time consuming. If that's true then it completely baffles me that Playmates will not paint the feet or hand and arm wraps on the turtles especially considering that those are fairly large areas and would not be difficult or time consuming to paint. Plus, leaving them unpainted makes the figures look even more cheap and unfinished (which they are).

It's this kind of lack of quality that is really making me interested in figure customization. Particularly figure painting.
__________________
mexichrist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #1257
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
Got Baxter Fly today and I think its a good figure. It looks like all of Playmates Paint budget went to the wings and eyes as they look fantastic. I notice his Candy Bar doesn't stay in his hands well.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 03-14-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 AM   #1258
Rukitron
Stone Warrior
 
Rukitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 701
speaking of props, Marvel Legends Infinite Spidey's pizza slice fits nicely in turtle hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150307_014.jpg (93.5 KB, 50 views)
Rukitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #1259
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukitron View Post
speaking of props, Marvel Legends Infinite Spidey's pizza slice fits nicely in turtle hands.
Nice to know. I'll be getting that spidey for sure.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #1260
Reigner
Thug
 
Reigner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 95
Took a quick pass at the headdrops. Leos handwraps aren't painted since my paint doesn't quiiite match the wrists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150313_231419_HDR.jpg (89.8 KB, 46 views)
Reigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.