The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #101
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I'm personally not convinced that is IDW Leo up there. I'd actually be kinda surprised, as our "reach" is relatively small. But I never heard anything one way or another, so it's hard for me to say for sure.

I'll say that my preference would be for 2K3 to be up there as well... As someone else has pointed out, this is a "history" and the 'current' is already represented with the Nick toon.

That being said, I'll also say though that we ARE pouring our hearts and souls into the books! To imply it's just a product for us is way, way off base.
if that was commenting on my little rant above then please let me explain my point of view.I am doing comics myself and from that stand point I KNOW and feel that people working on the books are really putting something into it.they seem to bring excitement or enthusiasm to the books and it shows.my point of frustration is:the books just aren't really entertaining enough..(to me at least) they don't expand my mind in places I had never thought tehy would like vol 4 did for example....
it was actually a hard thing for me to decide to discontiune my standing order for new turtles comics, but they just didn't do anything of that magic for me.Im sorry.but fortunatelly there are many many other people who apparently get a big kick out of them so there's no problems....one thing perhaps for the 'tmnt being a product implying for idw'...red and blue edition hard covers and 'special edition' hardcover editions of the annual?!?!books that cost in the hundereds?!?!?I know selling comics is a business and there are collectors that love these things but I just can't wrap my head around why people pay so much money for that.just my two cents again..
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #102
Sewer Sirens Podcast
Hench Mutant
 
Sewer Sirens Podcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: America
Posts: 425
Let me just say that when I see Eastman's interpretation of Leo on the cover, I automatically think of his version of Leo in the IDW comic. Not the 2003 series.
I don't know what he INTENDED, but that's how I see Leo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
They already had the 4 chosen.

The original toon, Mirage comics, the 2k12 cartoon, and the 2003 cartoon. All 4 on that old Cover.

The new cover? They still have the Original cartoon. They still have the Mirage Comics. The still have the 2k12 cartoon...what is the ONE thing they change? The 2003 cartoon. Once again, it's another example of the 2003 show getting the shaft.

None of the others were changed. I'm sorry, but I still think it's BS that the 2003 cartoon was the Only one to be kicked off the cover/changed when it was already going to be there (with the old cover), and yet the 3 others got to stay...just my opinion.
Yeah, it's disappointing how the 2003 series keeps getting 'the shaft', like it's been talked about in this forum. The 2003 series was a big influence in the direction of the franchise as a whole, and without it, I'm not sure we would still be talking about TMNT today. It would've been nice to have it on the cover.

However, the IDW comic is great too. And, I believe, they are really making it their own thing. Alopex? Kitsune? The new origin? Those are only three elements that are quite new to the franchise and exciting. And they pull things from a whole bunch of other iterations (even the 2003 series [which, I got to say, if you had to compare IDW with another TMNT iteration, I'd say it's closest to the 2003 series, which is awesome]), with characters like Bebop, Rocksteady, Angel, and Hun and story lines like City Fall / City at War, while not being a copy of the previous versions and making it all their own version. I really appreciate what they do.
__________________
Grady
Sewer Sirens Podcast

[email protected]

Check us out on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...725309366?mt=2

Follow us on Twitter: @SewerSirens https://twitter.com/sewersirens

Here's our site: http://www.podomatic.com/profile/sewersirenspodcast

Here's our blog: http://sewersirens.blogspot.com
Sewer Sirens Podcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #103
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,518
Absolutely no worries on it not being your thing. Can't be for everyone, and 30 issues is a great sample size, so sincerely thanks for reading for so long.

I was just talking about the creative team's attitude towards the book.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #104
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Absolutely no worries on it not being your thing. Can't be for everyone, and 30 issues is a great sample size, so sincerely thanks for reading for so long.

I was just talking about the creative team's attitude towards the book.
thanks bobby!I may check out tpbs of bygone material in the future to see if there is something for me down the road..(you never know after all..)
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #105
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Just to clarify, that is the IDW incarnation of Leonardo on the cover. Two comic book Turtles, two animated Turtles. We knew from the outset that we'd be including an original comic book Turtle, a 1980s animated Turtle, and one from the current Nickelodeon series (and Donatello's my favorite from the new cartoon), and as a fan of the current IDW comics (and Kevin Eastman's work on those books), we decided to go with that instead of the 4Kids Leo. A lot of thought went into the decision, trust me.

Although the 4Kids Turtles didn't make the cover, they get plenty of coverage in the book. I talked to Peter Laird and several of the producers, directors, writers, and artists at length about the series and about Turtles Forever.

As far as what made it onto the cover, keep in mind that there have been a lot of different versions of TMNT over the years. We could have just as easily had one a 4Kids Turtle, a Star Trek Turtle, a Coming Out of Their Shells Turtle, and Venus De Milo on the front cover.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #106
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Huh... Well, New Cover Leo don't look like a IDW Leonardo, with the elbow/knee pads.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #107
tfranzone
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 103
Im excited for this book to come out.. looks like a great compilation of all things turtles. hope theres a good amount about adventures.. always had a soft spot for it. I cant wait till we get a better IDW collected version of the adventures series.
tfranzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #108
Chaotix12345
Mad Scientist
 
Chaotix12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,131
Ah, nice to have clarification on that. Guess it makes sense with the old comic/old cartoon and new comic/new cartoon pattern. Looking forward to the 2k3 coverage in the actual book, then!
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #109
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Cover Leo just looks like a general "modern" comic turtle vs. the old school Raph. And Mikey being old school cartoon vs. modern Don.

Kevin doesn't draw his Turtles different for IDW than he does for anyone else.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #110
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist
 
AlZarkovski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Russia
Posts: 1,079
Video Review (inc. NEW MOVIE 2014 PICS!!!)
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #111
Chaotix12345
Mad Scientist
 
Chaotix12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,131
It includes a poster of the cover and a complete reprint of TMNT #1?!
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #112
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior
 
DevilSpooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Portugal
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Video Review (inc. NEW MOVIE 2014 PICS!!!)
Damn, that thing's beautifull.
__________________
Life at best is bittersweet
DevilSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #113
Shogun26
Mad Scientist
 
Shogun26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: under my bed
Posts: 2,322
Looks like a really solid book. Anyone know the retail price (sorry if this was already mentioned)?
__________________
Ebay Store!!

Guys...I think Turtle Mania is back for good.
Shogun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #114
Mayhem
Foot Elite
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 4,068
RRP is $50 I believe. You'll find it less than that of course heh...
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #115
Shogun26
Mad Scientist
 
Shogun26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: under my bed
Posts: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
RRP is $50 I believe. You'll find it less than that of course heh...
excellent. thank you very much.
__________________
Ebay Store!!

Guys...I think Turtle Mania is back for good.
Shogun26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #116
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TomWaltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
thanks for sharing the link!..

p.s.: for the record the idw comics is out now since summer 2012, so thats almost 2 years....I don't understand stated opinion on the 2k3 beeing less worth of notice than the idw comic....IN MY OPINION in many places the idw comic is more or less just heating up something thats been cooked before..they simply follow the huge traces the mirage comic turtles have wandered before and change up this or that as they go along(obviously the origin of the idw turtles is quite different but so many other things just repeat itself and in humble opinion not really interestingly so..unfortunatelly)...
they don't dare go anywhere ELSE with them and I am sure this has to do that the tmnt are their PRODUCT now..its not their heart and soul like it was for the mirage gang...
That's because I don't have a heart. Or a soul.

Only deadlines… lots and lots of deadlines.



A few things:

1. Your assumption about how/why the IDW comics are made is 100% wrong. We absolutely pour heart and soul and blood and sweat and tears and lots of pulled hair into each and every issue. Hell, each and every panel. Sometimes we succeed… sometimes we fail… but never for a lack of effort or caring. And always, always, ALWAYS respectful of what's come before.

2. Speaking of what's come before, besides the original Mirage stuff, the 4kids run is my personal favorite. I even love the 2007 CGI movie. I've said it many times in past interviews. So I'm with you there… so are my heart and my soul.

3. As for heating up what's been cooked before, yes, we proudly pay homage to TMNT's glorious past, definitely -- whenever it makes sense and best serves the story we're telling. But I know the future, and that's gonna be a whole new hot recipe that's not been served before. So, for now, I bid you adieu… I've got to get back in the kitchen with Bobby and Kevin.

Talk soon…

Tom W.

Last edited by TomWaltz; 05-07-2014 at 03:50 PM.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #117
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
^ Yeah, Tom, I can see the 4kids influence in IDW. I always felt the IDW series felt closer to the 4kids cartoon than anything else, even Mirage for that matter.

Of course given this is not a Saturday morning cartoon you guys can show some deaths, cursing and more adult stories but it feels similar only with some 80's cartoon villains and stories showing up.

I honestly feel IDW TMNT ages like a fine wine, even when I go back and re-read the earlier issues I like them more now than when I first read them back in 2011 and 2012. I think you guys are getting better and better too, can't wait to see how The Rat King is in this series!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #118
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Oh man, that is sweeeeet. I can't wait for it.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #119
DK2
Stone Warrior
 
DK2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 621
Wow it looks wicked. I've seen some of these other "vault" or "history" books of other comics characters and they've always impressed me. Especially those tidbits added onto the pages. But a poster of the cover art and TMNT #1 again is pretty cool. Although I have TMNT #1 in so many versions already. May consider this one as a first of these type of books I buy. One other was Transformers caught my eye too and I may pursue that one day too. Another book about TMNT heard about is "Raise Some Shell: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". Just to have books about TMNT intrigues me and I may go after this one too one day.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #120
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Just to put it out there, my understanding is that that reprint of #1 that is included with the book was done using brand new scans of the actual art pages. So this isn't the same files that have been retouched and tweaked over the years. Even though you probably have two dozen copies of this book, this one is a REALLY awesome version to be getting.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2 week ban 4 farago, farago to the bathroom, iceldrome pee patrol, looky loo in the loo, peepee poopoo, sick fans, ultimate visual history


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.